Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n126316 said:
He's maybe #245 ???
Don't shoot the messenger.

I wasn't the Head Coach responsible for this.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Law98gator;126262 said:
Even better. Maybe we will have Mike and Riles on the field. Sofla, can you block?
I can. I'm slightly undersized but my technique is flawless.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n126346 said:
Mike Pouncey played DEFENSE as a true freshman and Markice redshirted, I think.

Even those guys certainly weren't ready as freshmen.

Maurkice started 11 games as a true freshman. Mike would have been in the o line rotation if that year's d line wasn't as thin as our 2013 o line.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Tyler Moore was starting ahead of someone that we'll depend on next year. That should scare the hell out of you.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n126246 said:
I'm imagining something like this:

Rod Johnson is the only guy who has actually looked capable on the field.

Sharpe could be pretty decent before the year is over.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GatorInKnox;n126371 said:
Tyler Moore was starting ahead of someone that we'll depend on next year. That should scare the hell out of you.
Yeah, I thought of that too, but then I remembered that Chimp thought Driskel, Burtons, Westbrook, and a few others should be starting based on something other than ability obviously.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
While it does appear to be an issue, I don't see NFL teams playing 10 OL men nor having massive injuries. I like to have the same 5 in the same positions. I don't like this cross training, moving around etc. If a right tackle is injured I think best to let the second team person replace them. I hope that we are using all the means possible to prevent injuries.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
O-line will certainly be a weakness next year. We'll see a lot of quick routes and screens, and Taylor and Lane will have their work cutout for them. Humphries staying would be huge. I hope he stays and we get a good UAB or juco transfer(s).

On the positive side, we'll have an experienced line in 2016 and 2017. Those years should be good as long as recruiting improves.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We are dangerously thin on the O-line. :scared:

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
Seems a lot of guys that end up being good college players or NFL players weren't necessarily the highest rated guys at previous level. Hopefully we can find some diamonds in the rough that we can develop. A few big smart guys with attitude. Screw 40 times.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I seem to remember the caliber of lineman McElwain had on those Championship teams when he was the OC at Bama. There were more than a couple 3 star kids starting and dominating the competition. Coach Mac should be able to recruit some underrated kids and ultimately do the same here.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
heversle;n126533 said:
I seem to remember the caliber of lineman McElwain had on those Championship teams when he was the OC at Bama. There were more than a couple 3 star kids starting and dominating the competition. Coach Mac should be able to recruit some underrated kids and ultimately do the same here.
Perhaps, but that THE PROCESS usually involves signing 7 of them a year and kicking half of them out.

In between chuckles, Big Mac did make a couple of Sabanesque "THE PROCESS" comments. We'll see if THE PROCESS works for us.

BoomTown

Founding Member
Mc's Red Headed Stepchild
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The "Process" needs to start with a few hundred phone calls, a Craig's List ad, and a sky writer over every game in the country. (Oh, and a free one way flight from Birmingham or Honolulu to Gainesville)

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Honestly, I'm really keeping my fingers crossed in hopes of getting another Max Garcia-type from a Maryland-type school than some kid from UAB or UH. I don't think the answers to our problems play in CUSA. But that's just me.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The main good about the OL idea of using Ray Finkle is that he would obviously opt to use his academic
scholarship and save us an extra football scholarship. :whistle:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator