This shouldn’t even be possible

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020

A Cape Cod Lobster Diver Was Swallowed by a Humpback Whale—and Then Spat Back Out​

(It starts 15 seconds in)

On June 11, commercial lobster diver Michael Packàrd was nearly swallowed whole by a humpback whale off the coast of Provincetown, Massachusetts, reports Doug Fraser for the Cape Cod Times. The encounter only lasted about 30 seconds before the whale resurfaced and belched out Packàrd. Once back into the water, Packàrd's crewmates pulled him to safety and immediately transported him to Cape Cod Hospital, reports Rachel Treisman for NPR. Except for serious bruising and a dislocated knee, Packàrd escaped virtually unscathed.

The once-in-a-lifetime encounter occurred while Packàrd was about 45 feet deep into the water searching for lobsters. Then, he felt a huge push, almost like a "truck hit me and everything just went dark,” he said in an interview with WBTS. Packàrd initially thought a great white shark had attacked him, the Cape Cod Times reports.

"Then I felt around, and I realized there was no teeth, and I had felt, really, no great pain," recounted Packàrd to WBZ-TV News. "And then I realized, 'Oh my God, I'm in a whale's mouth. I'm in a whale's mouth, and he's trying to swallow me."

While inside the whale, Packàrd—with his scuba gear and breathing apparatus still on—began to move around to try and escape. By Packàrd's estimate, about 30 to 40 seconds passed before the whale began to move its head from side to side.

“I’m like, 'This is how you’re gonna go, Michael. This is how you’re going to die. In the mouth of a whale,'” he tells the Washington Post's Jaclyn Peiser.

Then, it resurfaced.

“I just got thrown out of his mouth, into the water — there was white water everywhere,” Packàrd tells the Post. “And I just was lying on the surface floating and saw his tail and he went back down. And I was like, ‘Oh my God, I got out of that. I survived.’”

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

A Cape Cod Lobster Diver Was Swallowed by a Humpback Whale—and Then Spat Back Out​

(It starts 15 seconds in)

iu

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
He should thank John Gorrie first
Yes, Sort of. I looked Gorrie up before posting it because I thought he invented AC but he actually made ice blocks. Yes they could drop the room temperature but Carrier came up with the modern air conditioning system.

Last edited:

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Yes, Sort of. I looked Gorrie up before posting it because I thought he invented AC but he actually made ice blocks. Yes they could drop the room temperature but Carrier came up with the modern air conditioning system.
Hmm. I thought the same thing. Learn something everyday

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
He should thank John Gorrie first
Good point...
John B. Gorrie (October 3, 1803 – June 29, 1855) was a Nevisian-born American physician and scientist, credited as the inventor of mechanical refrigeration.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Good point...
John B. Gorrie (October 3, 1803 – June 29, 1855) was a Nevisian-born American physician and scientist, credited as the inventor of mechanical refrigeration.

You forgot the most important part! He was in Apalachichola, FL.

Last edited:

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018

This reminds me, me and a nephew (his topic of discussion to me) were discussing how awesome the invention of air-conditioning was and he mentioned that it should be up there near the top.

I agreed with him and then we started discussing other inventions that are near the top.

Here's a sample but I'd love to see all of your opinions.
- air conditioning
- written language
- mathematics
- computing (i.e. today's modern computer) to include it's form and components (i.e. chip, micro-processor, storage, etc.)
- the paper clip (eg nearly perfect in form and function as it's essentially unchanged over many decades but only improved in style)
- the automobile
- space exploration / travel
- gun powder and the repeating rifle (technically separate but aligned and lends way to rockets, missiles, etc.)
- anti-biotics
- women (a bone from man's rib cage started it all and is perhaps THE #1 bestest thing ever created) (phuck you _Ohio State)

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Good list but here’s a few others:

Telephone
Washing machine
Tv and garage remote control

True, but the beauty of the last listed item, by me above, is that it essentially takes care of your #2 and #3 while making your #1 useless as long as there's a fence row somewhere.

:dance:

Treebeard

Oops, just stepped on a Lorax.
Lifetime Member
Dec 23, 2015
I agreed with him and then we started discussing other inventions that are near the top.

Here's a sample but I'd love to see all of your opinions.

- women (a bone from man's rib cage started it all and is perhaps THE #1 bestest thing ever created)

and implants! :jog::lol:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I've thought about this.
Rubber . you almost can't have anything with out rubber.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I've thought about this.
Rubber . you almost can't have anything with out rubber.

What kind of toothpicks are you buying?
What about your paperclips?
Is your house made with nails?

I don't know man. Rubber is cool and used in many applications but your level of "can't have anything without" definitely needs the "almost" in front of it.
:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator