Thoughts on Kelvin Taylor

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
BMF;n301188 said:
Thanks for your contribution. Did you read the thread at all? You basically summed up the consensus. Taylor is no Chubb, Fournette, Michel, Henry...or even Ezekiel (not an SEC back)...but he's servicable and is basically our only option w/ his 2 primary backups being true freshman who can't block and/or like to fumble.....AND if the OL was a little better he'd probably have better than a 2.9 ypc rushing average vs. SEC opponents.

So you're saying KT isn't one of the 5 best running backs in college football (although Michel doesn't even remotely fall in that list, either)? What a revelation.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I would just say that I am disappointed in KT's "numbers" but not KT himself. I am sure KT's results would at the least
go up if we had Grier and that "quick-hitting" LOS passing attack out wide, thereby "drawing" a defenders "lean" left or
right, thereby making them easier for our OL to block to open lanes. ??

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Jand3k;n301163 said:
God forbid, intercept that illegal pass from the knee and run it 60 yards to pay dirt for a TD!

No, if that would have happened, the refs would've called it an illegal play. As it was.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;n301212 said:
So you're saying KT isn't one of the 5 best running backs in college football (although Michel doesn't even remotely fall in that list, either)? What a revelation.

You honestly think he's better than Michel? I'd say KT is somewhere between the 10th and 15th best RB in the league. And his 2.9 ypc vs the SEC should put him lower than that....but his other assets (pass protection/blocking, no fumbles, pass catching, etc) put him a little higher. Michel's backup (Kieth Marshall) is among the top 15 as well.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
KT is much better than what his stats show. Behind LSU's O-Line, he'd have 5+ ypc. Go back and watch the LSU game. Notice how when our D got 1-2 guys in the backfield quick, 4Net got tackled for a loss just like happens to KT. The main difference is KT gets met in the backfield by 2-3 defenders a LOT more often. Our O-Line has been pretty bad at run blocking guys. Real bad most of the time.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
TLB;n301187 said:
If KT returns for next year, or not, we will have a deep roster of RBs for the 2016 season. How will our run game evolve?

The QB and passing game will be better, opening up more running opportunities.
What do we lose from the OL, and who is on the boards to play back up next season? Will we have (experienced) depth enough to be solid or will it still be a building year?
Do we consider getting a FB to help open holes and add one more option to the passing game? Does that fit with Mac-Nuss schemes in the past, or would they prefer to rely on TEs getting moved around?
That's partly why I don't think he returns. His audition for the NFL starts now at the scene of his best game ever. I'd like to see him kick azz going forward. It sure would help Treon and our chances. I expect the OLine to have a much better game against the dog :kiffin:s than they did against LSU.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
BMF;n301395 said:
You honestly think he's better than Michel? I'd say KT is somewhere between the 10th and 15th best RB in the league. And his 2.9 ypc vs the SEC should put him lower than that....but his other assets (pass protection/blocking, no fumbles, pass catching, etc) put him a little higher. Michel's backup (Kieth Marshall) is among the top 15 as well.

I'm not saying he's better than anyone. You're comparing him to the best running backs in CFB (of which Michel is not one). To say he's not one of the top 5 backs in the country isn't exactly a stretch. Doesn't mean he isn't a good player for us. When was the last time he fumbled?

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
BMF;n301395 said:

I'd take Taylor over Michel or Marshall. That's not orange and blue goggles, that's looking beyond numbers. Taylor runs hard, blocks hard, rarely makes stupid plays(save for throat slash gestures that got him thoroughly reamed and hasn't happened since)

Guessing you wouldn't have put Matt Jones in the same category with the two of them either, right? Michel and Marshall are ok, don't misunderstand me, but I'll take our starter over Chubb's backups any day of the week. Hell, you put Chubb behind our run blocking and he'd have been hard pressed to average 2.9 a rush.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
SGG;n301625 said:
I'd take Taylor over Michel or Marshall. That's not orange and blue goggles, that's looking beyond numbers. Taylor runs hard, blocks hard, rarely makes stupid plays(save for throat slash gestures that got him thoroughly reamed and hasn't happened since)

Guessing you wouldn't have put Matt Jones in the same category with the two of them either, right? Michel and Marshall are ok, don't misunderstand me, but I'll take our starter over Chubb's backups any day of the week. Hell, you put Chubb behind our run blocking and he'd have been hard pressed to average 2.9 a rush.

Disagree. But that's why we have message boards. KT would be Chubb, Michel, and Marshall's backup.....

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
BMF;n301672 said:
Disagree. But that's why we have message boards. KT would be Chubb, Michel, and Marshall's backup.....

Chubb maybe. The other two, would never happen.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Mack expressed not being happy with the running game production on his Monday AM presser. We may see more rotation if KT doesn't get a hot start. We're going to need to run the ball well against UGA. Treon should have a big day with his feet and arm, but the RB's need to do their share.

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Taylor is a lot better than many here believe. He's not dancing any more. He's hitting holes quickly, when they exist. He's hitting creases quickly, because that's usually the best he gets, and he's turning them into yards. I don't think we can win on Treon's arm, and I wouldn't be surprised to see us come out Saturday (after an extra week to practice) with two tight ends and a fullback and hand the ball to him 25 times. Our passing game would be play action to tight ends. I'm probably wrong. It's not like somebody is paying me millions to come up with these ideas. I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Can never really tell, but Mac's presser expression "we need more explosive running" could possibly mean, in practice,
he has been scheming with the 2 Scarlett & Cronkrite a bit more. Don't know, but are either of those more powerful or
speedier than KT ? Heck, even using them to spell KT could involve fresh legs. Love to see many 7+ yard slashes on
a reliable basis.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
lagator;n302810 said:
Mack expressed not being happy with the running game production on his Monday AM presser. We may see more rotation if KT doesn't get a hot start. We're going to need to run the ball well against UGA. Treon should have a big day with his feet and arm, but the RB's need to do their share.

Nobody could be happy with the run production. The OL is significantly better than I was terrified it would be at this point, but we rarely are able exert our will on SEC D-lines, and root them out of place. Swapping in someone other than KT doesn't solve that.

Given that defenses EXPECT to be able to crash through and disrupt things against, I am really surprised we have not doing more with conventional screen passes (i.e., to a RB with OL in front, not a WR blocked by more WRs) and swing routes to backs.

Disclaimer: nobody is paying me millions for these ideas either.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If Treon could throw a frozen rope fastly to swing-out RBs or to DRob like Grier did over and over, too quick for any DB
to get there = that would open up the run opportunities. ??

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Floridagator;n305282 said:
KT is growing on me. Looked better tonight against Ugly. Went 125ish? Some good runs at the WLOCP

He made a lot happen on his own. Has the ability to make the first man grab air like his dad did.

JC and JS seem to be coming into good late season freshman year form too. Look for them to make some plays down the stretch.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Good Lawd. This thread is chock full of stupid. Blaming the RBs and QBs for OL problems... again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator