Thoughts on Kelvin Taylor

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;299279 said:
I'm wondering where exactly he was supposed to run tonight. To the DT? Or the DE? Or both?

Surprisingly, Ivey and Sharpe were terrible last night. I saw multiple plays where they were just spun around.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Seems like most of the time Taylor gets hit before he even makes it to the line. There are very few backs who are going to put up good numbers with that being the case.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Alot of his yards have been hard earned but I think we kinda expected it. Good news is our line is somewhat serviceable since we thought our QB was gonna spend his life on his back.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Still baffled that we pass block much better than run block. I don't ever recall that with a young/inexperienced OL.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's like Ox said. With Grier, he could get the ball out quickly and hide the O-Line deficiencies a little bit. With Treon, all those deficiencies are exposed. Grier could force DCs to keep their LBs in coverage more often because he can hurt you if you blitz. Treon can't see the blitz as clearly and burn them like Grier can, so our OC doesn't have the ability with Treon to force the DC to hold his LBs in coverage so they blitz the hell out of him knowing he can't hurt them on the short mid-field routes. Everything is relative. If LBs are blitzing constantly because they aren't afraid to leave the mid-field open, then RBs are at a huge disadvantage because they're always trying to run against a stacked front.

Notice how in this game we were held to like 55 yards rushing. That's a direct result of who was at QB more than who was at RB. It is what it is folks. Get used to it until our O-Line matures a bit. We should be able to run a little better next year when our young O-Linemen have an off-season in the weight room to catch up a bit.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n299605 said:
It's like Ox said. With Grier, he could get the ball out quickly and hide the O-Line deficiencies a little bit. With Treon, all those deficiencies are exposed. Grier could force DCs to keep their LBs in coverage more often because he can hurt you if you blitz. Treon can't see the blitz as clearly and burn them like Grier can, so our OC doesn't have the ability with Treon to force the DC to hold his LBs in coverage so they blitz the hell out of him knowing he can't hurt them on the short mid-field routes. Everything is relative. If LBs are blitzing constantly because they aren't afraid to leave the mid-field open, then RBs are at a huge disadvantage because they're always trying to run against a stacked front.

Notice how in this game we were held to like 55 yards rushing. That's a direct result of who was at QB more than who was at RB. It is what it is folks. Get used to it until our O-Line matures a bit. We should be able to run a little better next year when our young O-Linemen have an off-season in the weight room to catch up a bit.

He wasn't getting too many holes even before the LSU game with Grier in there. Ole Miss run blitzed us a lot it appeared but Grier did make them pay for it. I did notice Harris was having trouble seeing the open guys over the middle in the LSU game when they were bringing the heat however.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n299603 said:
Still baffled that we pass block much better than run block. I don't ever recall that with a young/inexperienced OL.

Yep usually you hear its the pass blocking that is the major issue with a young line not run blocking.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n299603 said:

I'm pretty sure the quick decisions and release of Grier has skewed some of that. ​

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n299603 said:

Seems like pass protection is more about having the quickness and agility to stay in front of the defender, whereas run blocking is about having the strength to push the other guy backwards. Makes sense that a bunch of freshmen are going to struggle with run blocking given that they haven't had all those years in the weight room.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
ufgator812;n299609 said:
I'm pretty sure the quick decisions and release of Grier has skewed some of that. ​

Until the LSU game watching them they were holding their own pretty good not letting too many defenders just get right past them in one on one match ups in pass protection. A couple got abused last night however.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n299612 said:
Until the LSU game watching them they were holding their own pretty good not letting too many defenders just get right past them in one on one match ups in pass protection.

LSU is better than the other teams we have played thus far.​

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n299603 said:
They aren't. Mac just had Grier releasing the ball like lightning. Remember the photo showing he didn't even bother to find the seams during the slants? And the video from Spring Practice with Mac constantly talking about getting the ball out quick and having that clock in their head. Mac in Will's during Kintucky and Tinerc?

Mac will fix it.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Okay, I think we all agree the OL is a big problem w/ the run game. Did anyone notice that Fournette got met in the backfield or at the LOS several times and still managed a positive gain (sometimes as much as 5-8 yards)? That's what a good/great RB does. Again, I hope he improves...but since the thread was started his ypc has gone down...and there haven't been any "home run" runs or even long runs. His long is still that 47 yarder vs. Tennessee. He's had long runs of 16, 19, and 8 yards in the last 3 games....totaling 70 carries.

Yes, Kelvin is likely our best option at this point. I know he's working hard....but "it is what it is" with him. Does anyone really think he'd have gone over 150 w/ LSU's OL? Is that OL so much better? I don't....unless he has 40 carries. He has one 100 yard game.....and it wasn't in his 28 carry game (vs. Missouri).

MJMGator;n288369 said:
You can't take away long runs and then readjust his stats. Hell, let's do the same for all RBs and you'd see very similar results. That said, he's done a solid job this year, but he's not an elite RB by any stretch of the imagination. We've had better and we've had worse. Still holding out hope that he's a late bloomer like his dad. Fred really didn't blow anyone away until his senior year and ended up being a much better pro player than he was in college.

You said 3 weeks ago when this thread was started: You can't take away the long runs....

Well, it's been 3 more games since then....and guess what? He hasn't had anymore "long runs"!! He's now averaging 3.6 yards per carry for the year (3.4 in SEC games). And people think he's a 2nd round draft choice (read the thread...it's there!, Crazy, I know...but there are dilusional fans who think he's a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick).

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n295353 said:
People forget that Fred Taylor was basically a backup to Terry Jackson until his senior year.

Taylor was definitely the better runner, but Terry could run also, and he blocked and caught the ball better. Fred Taylor didn't really become "THE MAN" until 1997.

When Terry accepted a move to Fullback to put both talented players on the field.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
3.6 YPC is why I'd like to see Cronkrite and Scarlett get as many carries together that Taylor gets in a game i.e.
carries divided 3 ways of Cronkrite + Scarlett half the caries and Taylor the other half.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
BMF;299852 said:
Okay, I think we all agree the OL is a big problem w/ the run game. Did anyone notice that Fournette got met in the backfield or at the LOS several times and still managed a positive gain (sometimes as much as 5-8 yards)? That's what a good/great RB does. Again, I hope he improves...but since the thread was started his ypc has gone down...and there haven't been any "home run" runs or even long runs. His long is still that 47 yarder vs. Tennessee. He's had long runs of 16, 19, and 8 yards in the last 3 games....totaling 70 carries.

Yes, Kelvin is likely our best option at this point. I know he's working hard....but "it is what it is" with him. Does anyone really think he'd have gone over 150 w/ LSU's OL? Is that OL so much better? I don't....unless he has 40 carries. He has one 100 yard game.....and it wasn't in his 28 carry game (vs. Missouri).

You said 3 weeks ago when this thread was started: You can't take away the long runs....

Well, it's been 3 more games since then....and guess what? He hasn't had anymore "long runs"!! He's now averaging 3.6 yards per carry for the year (3.4 in SEC games). And people think he's a 2nd round draft choice (read the thread...it's there!, Crazy, I know...but there are dilusional fans who think he's a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick).

KT is no Fournette but the o-lines are not even close. How's this for a stat:

@DerekTysonESPN: Leonard Fournette had 10 rushes in which first contact was not made until 5 yards past the line of scrimmage -- ESPN stats & info

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
gatormandan;n299892 said:
How do you guys feel about a 2 back set?
We don't really have a fullback. You wanting to move Cox or someone else (Bryan)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.