Gator Basketball Todd Golden new Florida Men's Basketball Coach; hires Taurean Green

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Pitino apparently coming to town with Iona.

Talk with him and make him say no.

If he says no, these next three are to be called in order:

1. Shaka at Marquette.
2. Willard at Seton Hall.
3. Bennett at UVA (apparent rumblings he might be looking elsewhere for the right opportunity to bolt).
Don't want Bennett at all. Not even in the top 200. 40-35 games are crap and what White strived to be

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Everyone knows how I feel about Bennett. He is a great coach. His father and uncle were great coaches. The knock on him by most people is that his style is slow and plodding and thus they play a lot a close, tight games even against sub par teams. But it is that style and his intense focus on fundamentals and defense, along with finding under the radar recruits and developing them (see Brogdon and Hunter), that have allowed Bennett and UVA to compete year in year out with DUKE, UNC, and the other more well known teams in the ACC. I have no doubt that Bennett can coach any type of player and make them better, he just happens to like to coach players that have a reasonable level of intelligence and have an ability and a want to learn.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Everyone knows how I feel about Bennett. He is a great coach. His father and uncle were great coaches. The knock on him by most people is that his style is slow and plodding and thus they play a lot a close, tight games even against sub par teams. But it is that style and his intense focus on fundamentals and defense, along with finding under the radar recruits and developing them (see Brogdon and Hunter), that have allowed Bennett and UVA to compete year in year out with DUKE, UNC, and the other more well known teams in the ACC. I have no doubt that Bennett can coach any type of player and make them better, he just happens to like to coach players that have a reasonable level of intelligence and have an ability and a want to learn.
So Dan Mullen of recruiting

And is in the NIT this year and probably going forward as well due to the recruiting

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Mike Miller
Porter Moser- Oklahoma coach (NIT)
Matt McMahon- Murray St coach (NCAAT)
Jeff Linder- Wyoming coach (NCAAT)
Kyle Smith Washington St coach (NIT)

Posted this in the other thread and tournaments you can see them in this week

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
So Dan Mullen of recruiting

And is in the NIT this year and probably going forward as well due to the recruiting

Disagree Lee. Cousin Eddie was lazy and a shyt recruiter. Bennett seeks out guys that he likes and there can't be an argument that he has developed players like Hunter, Jerome, Guy, Brogdon, etc. I don;t think he is a shyt recruiter at all. Sure the top 20 guys don't tend to go there, but Tony Bennett is the type of coach who in general can beat yours with his and in turn could beat his if given yours. Different tastes thats all.

I would argue that over time Bennett has been more of a thorn to UNC and Duke than Mike has been to UK. But that in and of itself does not make one better than the other. Just watch the teams play and tell me wwhose teams understand the game?

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Disagree Lee. Cousin Eddie was lazy and a shyt recruiter. Bennett seeks out guys that he likes and there can't be an argument that he has developed players like Hunter, Jerome, Guy, Brogdon, etc. I don;t think he is a shyt recruiter at all. Sure the top 20 guys don't tend to go there, but Tony Bennett is the type of coach who in general can beat yours with his and in turn could beat his if given yours. Different tastes thats all.

I would argue that over time Bennett has been more of a thorn to UNC and Duke and Mike has been to UK.

A thorn, more like a Covid 19 virus. He has owned both of them to be honest particularly if you look at his talent as opposed to what UNC and Duke get. Comparing Bennett as a recruiter to Mullen is really unfair and not at all a good comparison. Even Duke will make some exceptions when it comes to academic quals....UVA won't budge. Ask Anthony Poindexter who was told pretty much to take a hike when during his interview for HBC he straight up told the AD and some other admin peeps that if they wanted to be competitive in the ACC they would need to "relax" some of their academic standards a bit in order to compete with Tech, FSU, Miami and Clemson. UVa has a huge endowment from leftist money bags that just want to have a place to sit when they come to games. They've won a basketball and baseball Natty in the last decade and they love Lax and soccer so.......Ivy league attitude.

Last edited:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
A thorn, more like a Covid 19 virus. He has owned both of them to be honest particularly if you look at his talent as opposed to what UNC and Duke get. Comparing Bennett as a recruiter to Mullen is really unfair and not at all a good comparison. Even Duke will make some exceptions when it comes to academic quals....UVA won't budge. Ask Anthony Poindexter who was told pretty much to take a hike when during his interview for HBC he straight up told the AD and some other admin peeps that if they wanted to be competitive in the ACC they would need to "relax" some of their academic standards a bit in order to compete with Tech, FSU, Miami and Clemson. UVa has a huge endowment from leftist money bags that just want to have a place to sit when they come to games. They've won a basketball and baseball Natty in the last decade and they love Lax and soccer so.......Ivy league attitude.

Sounds very familiar. Been on UF campus lately???????

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
This sounds exactly like Cousin Eddie, only it is from Mired in Mediocrity Mike.

"A two-hour microcosm of the season," White said. "Ups, downs, a lack of execution for a couple of minutes, an incredible fight for eight minutes, a really productive timeout, a span where we would lose a little bit of focus or lose control of our emotions a little bit and start pouting about a certain call or what have you and then leave everything we've got on the floor and come up just a little bit short. But we've had four or five where we got the other ending and we came out on the right side. Unfortunately, we came out -- we've come out on the wrong side too many times."

As Doris Day used to say.......................

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
Brad Underwood. Although he had penalties put on Okie State in his 1 season there, so admin may steer clear. Enfield at USC just got an extension so he's out of the running I suppose, but he might want to return to Florida where he was before USC.
I only wish Enfield would have stalled on that extension at USC. Just imagine the serious meltdown among the SemenHole fans(former FSU assistant) had Stricklin landed Enfield.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
6 SEC teams made the tournament. Florida wasn't one of them.

Becoming a Dwag couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. So happy for him and his family that they won't be harassed by expectations anymore... He and his .625 win percentage will be forever happy there. Hopefully, in a couple of years, he can reproduce the mediocrity that he achieved here at Florida.

Your first sentence is what I have been saying all day to anyone that would listen.
If one needs to understand why Mike White had to go, you can look no further than this fact because it illustrates the real problem with our program.

As I have said many times, it’s not about comparing White to Donovan, it’s about comparing the current UF basketball program to the 6-7 programs that have passed us by during the White era.

Can you imagine this (6 SEC teams in the tournament and Florida not being one of them) ten years ago?

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
His phone number is listed on the link. Give him a call.

But seriously, I get it that we like the guy, but his record is no better than Whites and he's already been fired as an SEC Head coach. In his 5th year at Dayton he has his team in the same no one cares tournament as us. He should have stayed at VCU. That's where he had his greatest success.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Hopefully MW takes that worthless dwag lover on the team with him. Or the next guy sends him packing.

And im sorry but count me out on mike miller. What specific traits or qualities does he have that would make him a good coach for Florida? The dude looks like he never met a jail house tat he didnt like and talks and acts pretty ghetto as well. Is that what we are after? I swear some of yall would call for Hitler if he ever donned the orange and blue at some point.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Purely emotionally, I like the Mike Miller choice. An NBA guy. A guy with height. Wonder what NBA friends be might sway to come.?
How do y'all think he would recruit for this SEC alma mater.?
Whatever coach we get, he needs to staff up with an eye towards areas of recruiting. Gotta Go Gators ... now !

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.