Top 10 Running Backs in UF History

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
They have Larry Smith at #7, stating that he played at Florida from 1066 to 1968. Obviously eligibility rules have changed in recent times, but Smith deserves a higher ranking for being able to tote the rock for such a long period.

Wasn't he recruited by William the Conqueror at Hastings High?

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'd put Tony Green on that list, and perhaps W!llie Wilder before I'd put Larry Smith on there. Definitely, C4 would go on before Larry Smith. I think Smith got on there as a token white guy.

Last edited:

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The 10 best running backs in Florida Gator history

I would say Fred Taylor and Neal Anderson belong above Eric Rhett, but other than that, I don't remember/never saw a few of these guys. Discuss.
Based on their NFL careers, I would agree. I wasn't around to see Anderson as a Gator, but Taylor was sharing carries with Terry Jackson and Eli Williams until his Sr. year when he became the 'go to' RB. Rhett was the 'go to' guy for more than one year. Rhett also surpassed Emmitt's UF rushing record. The rain game vs. Ugly alone keeps in him in 2nd place, IMO.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Based on their NFL careers, I would agree. I wasn't around to see Anderson as a Gator, but Taylor was sharing carries with Terry Jackson and Eli Williams until his Sr. year when he became the 'go to' RB. Rhett was the 'go to' guy for more than one year. Rhett also surpassed Emmitt's UF rushing record. The rain game vs. Ugly alone keeps in him in 2nd place, IMO.

I understand with the Rhett vs Taylor... but Anderson was a beast (at least what I remember as a kid).

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
They have Larry Smith at #7, stating that he played at Florida from 1066 to 1968. Obviously eligibility rules have changed in recent times, but Smith deserves a higher ranking for being able to tote the rock for such a long period.

Wasn't he recruited by William the Conqueror at Hastings High?

That mistype almost got this thread merged with the Saxons/Vikings thread. Fortunately, I think Nav is still asleep.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014

Glad to see Rick Casares mentioned. Played football, basketball, track at Tampa Jefferson HS. Also was basketball star at UF. Video clip mentions Doug Adkins the former Tennessee and Chicago Bears “tough as nails” defensive lineman who stood 6’7”. In the video Mike Ditka says Casares was so tough even Adkins wouldn’t mess with him. The “true silencer”.

Nat Moes (Moore) was a really exciting runner during his brief UF career. Touchdown Tommy Duurrance was a solid clutch runner who knew how to get the ball in the end zone.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Their all great backs and all fit in a little differently.
If I could have any of them but only one I'd take Fred. Rare to find guys with his speed, strength and size.
If he would have went somewhere in a system that featured a 30 carry a game guy his numbers would have been outrageous.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Their all great backs and all fit in a little differently.
If I could have any of them but only one I'd take Fred. Rare to find guys with his speed, strength and size.
If he would have went somewhere in a system that featured a 30 carry a game guy his numbers would have been outrageous.

And he stayed away from trouble and the injury bug, seemed he couldn't stay away from the little nagging injuries early in his career.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator