Top 10 Running Backs in UF History

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think he’s the second best running back over the last 20 years. Ernest Graham being number one.

Mike Gillislee is probably number three.

How funny is it that since Spurrier we have only had four 1000 rushing seasons, Graham, Fason, Gillislee, and K. Taylor. All with only one year of production. Which are the only 4, 1000 yard rushing seasons since 2000. All four only had one season where they were carrying the load.

Last back to have back-to-back 900+ yard seasons was Emmitt Smith, in his case back-to-back-to-back.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
How funny is it that since Spurrier we have only had four 1000 rushing seasons, Graham, Fason, Gillislee, and K. Taylor. All with only one year of production. Which are the only 4, 1000 yard rushing seasons since 2000. All four only had one season where they were carrying the load.

Last back to have back-to-back 900+ yard seasons was Emmitt Smith, in his case back-to-back-to-back.

Since SOS how much of our offense has relied heavily on a 'Bubble Screen' offensive philosophy? Do you really need a good running back when your offense is based on a bubble screen pass offense? Maybe that is part of the reason we have not been able to sign a good/great running back like Spiller, Travis Henry, etc.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Since SOS how much of our offense has relied heavily on a 'Bubble Screen' offensive philosophy? Do you really need a good running back when your offense is based on a bubble screen pass offense?
Only if you want to win championships.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017

Spurrier is a weird dividing line because he only coached three 1,000 yard seasons. Two were by Rhett, who starts a more obvious dividing line. Since Rhett, we have only had 5 1,000 yard rushing seasons over 26 years. Spurrier had 8 of those years with only 1 by Graham.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Spurrier is a weird dividing line because he only coached three 1,000 yard seasons. Two were by Rhett, who starts a more obvious dividing line. Since Rhett, we have only had 5 1,000 yard rushing seasons over 26 years. Spurrier had 8 of those years with only 1 by Graham.

Which is why I pointed out the back to back seasons of 900+ yards which was before Spurrier. Spurrier is an easy dividing line due to his tenure. Graham's 1000 year was with Zook (2002).

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

It’s not really that weird at all. Spurrier loosened up defenses in a way that no one has been able to come close to. Couple that with the so-so recruiting at the position since his departure.

It’s very simple. When defenses don’t respect the pass, it puts all that more pressure on your running game. I’m not even sure Emmitt Smith could have produced the numbers he was used to in the offenses we threw out there.

Wuerffel4Pres

No offense
Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
For me, all I saw when I read this was Darnell being a thug motherf^r and thus being reminded of our national title hopes (like Rex's Heisman) being stolen from us. Yep, 19 years later and I'm still seething. Still hoping Dockett gets hit by a bus...

Sorry, not sorry.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
For me, all I saw when I read this was Darnell being a thug motherf^r and thus being reminded of our national title hopes (like Rex's Heisman) being stolen from us. Yep, 19 years later and I'm still seething. Still hoping Dockett gets hit by a bus...

Sorry, not sorry.
Too much of an overreaction dude.

Shtting on Mickey Andrews grave, now that is appropriate.

Last edited:

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
I'd put Tony Green on that list, and perhaps W!llie Wilder before I'd put Larry Smith on there. Definitely, C4 would go on before Larry Smith. I think Smith got on there as a token white guy.
Respectfully disagree. I'm old enough to remember everyone of those guys and Smith was for real. So was Tommy Durance, but not quite at the level of the guys already listed.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It’s not really that weird at all. Spurrier loosened up defenses in a way that no one has been able to come close to. Couple that with the so-so recruiting at the position since his departure.

It’s very simple. When defenses don’t respect the pass, it puts all that more pressure on your running game. I’m not even sure Emmitt Smith could have produced the numbers he was used to in the offenses we threw out there.

In '89 he did, every one in the stadium knew what we were running.... there was a 95% chance it was either Emmitt Right, Emmitt Left or Emmitt up the middle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.