Top 10 Running Backs in UF History

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And he stayed away from trouble and the injury bug, seemed he couldn't stay away from the little nagging injuries early in his career.
Like stealing text books. Stealing credit cards. Not blocking and not catching passes.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Like stealing text books. Stealing credit cards. Not blocking and not catching passes.

Forgot about the textbooks, remember the credit cards... want to say there was something with a scooter as well.. but then again we had so many issues with scooters, i might just be lumping him in there as well.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Forgot about the textbooks, remember the credit cards... want to say there was something with a scooter as well.. but then again we had so many issues with scooters, i might just be lumping him in there as well.
Im drawing a blank on that one.

I remember one football player tossing someone in a lake for trying to steal his bike I thought. But maybe it was a scooter. Pretty sure that was Jabar.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'd put Tony Green on that list, and perhaps W!llie Wilder before I'd put Larry Smith on there. Definitely, C4 would go on before Larry Smith. I think Smith got on there as a token white guy.

I will assume that you are not old enough to remember Larry Smith.
He was very good and suffered a freak injury that cut short his NFL career.
I believe that he still holds the Orange Bowl record for the longest run from scrimmage

Willie Wilder (played against him in high school) was not in the same category as Larry Smith regardless of his race. I struggle with why you felt the need to mention race.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Im drawing a blank on that one.

I remember one football player tossing someone in a lake for trying to steal his bike I thought. But maybe it was a scooter. Pretty sure that was Jabar.

Jabar also had a scooter altercation, seems like we had a few players that had them, either crime or scooter accident.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Based on their NFL careers, I would agree. I wasn't around to see Anderson as a Gator, but Taylor was sharing carries with Terry Jackson and Eli Williams until his Sr. year when he became the 'go to' RB. Rhett was the 'go to' guy for more than one year. Rhett also surpassed Emmitt's UF rushing record. The rain game vs. Ugly alone keeps in him in 2nd place, IMO.

One of my favorite parts of that game is Eddie Robinson clapping in the face of the uga WR after the last play. Don't know why I find it so amusing, but I do. :lol:

But yes, I agree that Rhett belongs at #2. I'm too young to remember much of Anderson and JLW, so I'm biased. But he was a beast for us for 4 straight seasons. He was great in the Sugar later that year, even with Wvu players punching him in the stomach while in the pile.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
WiLLLLLLLie Wilder (played against him in high school) was not in the same category as Larry Smith regardless of his race. I struggle with why you felt the need to mention race.

The way you write Wilder's first name seems a little racist to me. I'm just sayin'

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
5xymk9twmu021.png

Speaking of problems we had with scooters.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Their all great backs and all fit in a little differently.
If I could have any of them but only one I'd take Fred. Rare to find guys with his speed, strength and size.
If he would have went somewhere in a system that featured a 30 carry a game guy his numbers would have been outrageous.
Preach

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Neal Anderson and John L. Williams were damn good backs but had to share the load at Florida. Lorenzo Hampton was in that backfield, too. Our best group of RBs ever.
Individually, Rhett would be hard to replace at #2. He was a workhorse that just got stronger as the game went on. Fred was great by his senior year, but I feel like Rhett was the better back at UF.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016

Glad to see Rick Casaeres mentioned. Played football, basketball, track at Tampa Jefferson HS. Also was basketball star at UF. Video clip mentions Doug Adkins the former Tennessee and Chicago Bears “tough as nails” defensive lineman who stood 6’7”. In the video Mike Ditka says Casares was so tough even Adkins wouldn’t mess with him. The “true silencer”.

Nat Moes (Moore) was a really exciting runner during his brief UF career. Touchdown Tommy Duurrance was a solid clutch runner who knew how to get the ball in the end zone.

My Dad said Casaeres was the best athlete he saw when he was at Florida. He could also throw the football about 80 yards.

Last edited:

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Casares “knew people”.

Fuggetaboutit.

Alex.
I don't really know if they were acquaintances, dad attended UF back then. He also said if Haywood Sullivan hadn't turned pro in baseball we would have won our first SEC championship.

Last edited:

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
One of my favorite parts of that game is Eddie Robinson clapping in the face of the uga WR after the last play. Don't know why I find it so amusing, but I do. :lol:

But yes, I agree that Rhett belongs at #2. I'm too young to remember much of Anderson and JLW, so I'm biased. But he was a beast for us for 4 straight seasons. He was great in the Sugar later that year, even with Wvu players punching him in the stomach while in the pile.
There is an old picture of Spurrier on one knee, head down beaten by those bast!@#$. I enjoy the picture of Zier on both knees, head down beaten at the end of the mud game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.