Top UF Receiving Corps over the past 40 yrs

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t disagree with the idea that we’re a far cry from 2007, but don’t think we’ll be less talented than 2018. At a minimum we’ve recruited slightly better than JM. Those 15-17 classes were atrocious. Outside of WR, I can’t think of a single position we won’t be as talented or more.

Mullens 2 classes were substandard once you adjust to who didn't even make it to camp - no better than Butters. We will be less talented overall on both sides next season compared to 2018.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Mullens 2 classes were substandard once you adjust to who didn't even make it to camp - no better than Butters. We will be less talented overall on both sides next season compared to 2018.
We’ll see post signing day and spring. I don’t think your correct, though.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Maybe depth wise, but I don’t recall us battling FIU, Temple and Houston-Baptist for anyone. And as Seabee said, we haven’t even finished this class. The one similarity to ‘07 is that we’ll have a lot of young talent. Not to the same degree of talent, but young guys that will emerge and be better.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, a team w three first team All American WRs and a fourth who was All SEC cant compete w some 450 yard receivers.

I’m real interested in knowing which team this is.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Here goes Butters Fever again...

You can’t completely credit Butters for 2018 - that team included Mullen’s transition class. You don’t remember Mullen pulling Jones and others after Butters left? The best measure would be looking at where we’ve come since Butters last full season - team talent ranked 17th in 2017. We will definitely be better than that.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Here goes Butters Fever again...

You can’t completely credit Butters for 2018 - that team included Mullen’s transition class. You don’t remember Mullen pulling Jones and others after Butters left? The best measure would be looking at where we’ve come since Butters last full season - team talent ranked 17th in 2017. We will definitely be better than that.

I don't think one starter in 2018 was a Mullen freshman recruit but maybe there was one. Mullen hasn't recruited worth a damn so far to get us where we need to be.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I don't think one starter in 2018 was a Mullen freshman recruit but maybe there was one. Mullen hasn't recruited worth a damn so far to get us where we need to be.
Team talent composite rankings, which is our best measure, doesn’t factor in starters. It just looks at the talent on the team. Butters Fever’s perception doesn’t mean crap - our offense is way better than any Butters unit. Defense isn’t even far off with way less talent. By any measure, you’re wrong.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Team talent composite rankings, which is our best measure, doesn’t factor in starters. It just looks at the talent on the team. Butters Fever’s perception doesn’t mean crap - our offense is way better than any Butters unit. Defense isn’t even far off with way less talent. By any measure, you’re wrong.

You will see next season after our NFL losses the only improvement from 2018 roster will be Franks not being the starting QB in 2020. Both sides overall won't match the 2018 starters.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
You will see next season after our NFL losses the only improvement from 2018 roster will be Franks not being the starting QB in 2020. Both sides overall won't match the 2018 starters.
Improving at QB is the most important place to improve. And we actually use TEs now - best receiving threat we’ve had since Meyer.

But we get it... that Butters is hard to quit. Did you guys shark together?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Improving at QB is the most important place to improve. And we actually use TEs now - best receiving threat we’ve had since Meyer.

But we get it... that Butters is hard to quit. Did you guys shark together?

Lol nothing to do with Butters - Mullens recruiting has been bad. The buttsniffers will have a bigger talent advantage than the last 2 games. Our only hope is their new QB sucks.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but sorry, 96 will always be the greatest collection of receivers in my opinion.

I was born in 85 and I played receiver in little league. Those guys were why I started watching UF. I also really liked 2001.

I think 2019 may be the deepest group. But their not the best. Who's the No. 1? Pitts? A TE? I don't know, I just can't put them in the top 3 for me.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Lol nothing to do with Butters - Mullens recruiting has been bad. The buttsniffers will have a bigger talent advantage than the last 2 games. Our only hope is their new QB sucks.
Of course they will be more talented - they’ve outrecruited us every year since 2013. But the last game showed that its not insurmountable.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
My bad, Renard, over the ambiguous thread title. The intent was not to try and name the best receiving corps but rather to point out those that ALSO included a top-flight TE.

No flipping way Jefferson, Grimes and Swain rate over Anthony/Hilliard/Green or Gaffney/Caldwell/Jacobs.

Pitts is a wild card, a guy who makes this current group unusually deep.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Elam has already proven to be as good or better at DB. I haven’t received a call from a 352 area code so I’m assuming our safety play will be better than Taylor/Stiner. The LB corps is already becoming a Mullen-recruited area and will get better this season with Wingo. The DL is going to be a draw, and between Cox and the incoming class, the perimeter won’t be drastically changed(and that’s discounting that Greenard is DM not JM). So there’s your defense.

RB may be one you can add to the step back talent wise category. OL has been upgraded substantially in talent and depth. At WR, we may be worse but how much of that is because of the likely loss of Grimes and VJ, both of which came to play for DM? Can’t factor them in as a loss without considering them a gain thus far. Swain, Cleveland and Hammond are good but not irreplaceable. It won’t be as deep, and. It as talented as Jefferson. But again, where are these areas we take a monstrous step back in?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Elam has already proven to be as good or better at DB. I haven’t received a call from a 352 area code so I’m assuming our safety play will be better than Taylor/Stiner. The LB corps is already becoming a Mullen-recruited area and will get better this season with Wingo. The DL is going to be a draw, and between Cox and the incoming class, the perimeter won’t be drastically changed(and that’s discounting that Greenard is DM not JM). So there’s your defense.

RB may be one you can add to the step back talent wise category. OL has been upgraded substantially in talent and depth. At WR, we may be worse but how much of that is because of the likely loss of Grimes and VJ, both of which came to play for DM? Can’t factor them in as a loss without considering them a gain thus far. Swain, Cleveland and Hammond are good but not irreplaceable. It won’t be as deep, and. It as talented as Jefferson. But again, where are these areas we take a monstrous step back in?

We will have a crappy O line for run blocking again without as much receiver talent to lean on and on defense the 2 dominant D linemen leaving won't be replaced with the same talent.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018

I think RB will improve overall. Force Mullen to start using Pierce more. Perine is fine but Pierce is much better.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
We will have a crappy O line for run blocking again without as much receiver talent to lean on and on defense the 2 dominant D linemen leaving won't be replaced with the same talent.
It’s ok to say you’re just wrong. He went position by position with his argument but you fall back to “we lose some depth on a talented WR core” - it will still be very talented next year - and “we lose two DL” - even though we heard that same thing about Polite leaving. Grantham sucks in a lot of ways but he consistently finds ways to get edge pressure. And odds are the OL will improve in run blocking, especially since the coaches will have an offseason to adjust to Trask, as opposed to the more mobile Franks, at QB.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

I forgot, OL’s never improve with time, reps and conditioning. I gave you WR, but our talent will be a decided step back because of players DM brought in. Who’s to say he won’t again? The same in DL. Remember when Polite was going to be missed? Instead, an average JZ(from HS) and a transfer and we’re actually better.

In any event, it’s year 2 and the biggest losses will be 2 players DM brought in. Your entire premise is flawed. We will have more talent virtually everywhere, even if it’s a poorer performing unit at first.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I forgot, OL’s never improve with time, reps and conditioning. I gave you WR, but our talent will be a decided step back because of players DM brought in. Who’s to say he won’t again? The same in DL. Remember when Polite was going to be missed? Instead, an average JZ(from HS) and a transfer and we’re actually better.

In any event, it’s year 2 and the biggest losses will be 2 players DM brought in. Your entire premise is flawed. We will have more talent virtually everywhere, even if it’s a poorer performing unit at first.
Shark Fever is this boards version of chicken little. Sky is always falling. And every once in a while he’s right - UM TEs/defense - which just reinforces his ridiculousness.

He’s still one of my favorite posters though.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Those O linemen were already in the system there won't be a 2017 to 2018 type jump in run blocking in 2020. The talent isn't there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator