Recruiting Transfer Portal: Jordan Hermann enters Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
Only thought I have is they “know” they have the Tulane QB locked up. Otherwise, avoiding him, Austin Reed, and a couple others while Mertz has been to campus makes no sense at all.
I'm pretty sure I read elsewhere that he already came out and said he was staying at Tulane.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Anyone here familiar with the rules re portal? Are schools or players allowed to contact before even entering the portal? If so, how is that contact made? Is it through some official, trackable form?

Seems like the wild west to me.

While it is a violation for a student to speak to a coach from a different school before they enter the Transfer Portal, they are permitted to speak to student-athletes and alumni of other schools at any time to gain a better understanding of the prospective program.

So for Matthews or the other person to say Napier has someone "locked up" before entering the portal would be a violation and would mean all the "high character" talk from Napier is just more coachspeak without meaning.

"Additionally, the proposal adds tampering with a current student-athlete at another school to the list of potential Level 2 violations, considered a significant breach of conduct."

Last edited:

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member

While it is a violation for a student to speak to a coach from a different school before they enter the Transfer Portal, they are permitted to speak to student-athletes and alumni of other schools at any time to gain a better understanding of the prospective program.

So for Matthews or the other person to say Napier has someone "locked up" before entering the portal would be a violation and would mean all the "high character" talk from Napier is just more coachspeak without meaning.

"Additionally, the proposal adds tampering with a current student-athlete at another school to the list of potential Level 2 violations, considered a significant breach of conduct."

So BN or his minions mentions to Hathcock or another "Alumni" that player A from college B is a baller and he (BN)really, really, really wishes we had him on our team.

Alum calls prospect A, offers $$$ and/or playing time, and encourages prospect A to call our players to get the skinny and enter the portal.

All OK with the NCAA.

I see no issues with this at all.

It's the wild west even playing by the rules. (maybe not the intent of the rules, but Saban and Kirby and other savvy coaches have never given a crap about intent)

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
So BN or his minions mentions to Hathcock or another "Alumni" that player A from college B is a baller and he (BN)really, really, really wishes we had him on our team.

Alum calls prospect A, offers $$$ and/or playing time, and encourages prospect A to call our players to get the skinny and enter the portal.

All OK with the NCAA.

I see no issues with this at all.

It's the wild west even playing by the rules. (maybe not the intent of the rules, but Saban and Kirby and other savvy coaches have never given a crap about intent)
Nailed it! As long as the coaches or their authorized agents are not part of the connection prior to entering the portal.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
So Pratt vs McCall, who would you rather land? I saw Pratt had sub-60 percent completion against the top 20 but that was probably a fairly small sample size. It seems to me McCall’s 70 percent career percentage is hard to top and he has been pretty much his conferences best player since he graduated hs. How did he end up at the the Sunbelt in the first place? It seems he should be our top choice but what do I know.

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
I don’t get this. It’s universally viewed as a position of need, a key offensive weapon is reported to be hinging his return on who we get, and names are flying off the shelf every hour. Yet, we’re just putting out feelers? It just feels like we’re seeing the opposite of what we first saw at this point last year. Nothing seems to make any sense right now.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Denny Thompson said on his podcast every single kid that’s out there that he works with (And there’s well overall hundred) that is going into the portal, had already talk to somebody at a school and knew exactly where they were going before they even went into the portal

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Anybody else see this? *Language warning*

Sitting here wondering who let @gardnerwebbgator head up the collective? :lol:

Last edited:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So Pratt vs McCall, who would you rather land? I saw Pratt had sub-60 percent completion against the top 20 but that was probably a fairly small sample size. It seems to me McCall’s 70 percent career percentage is hard to top and he has been pretty much his conferences best player since he graduated hs. How did he end up at the the Sunbelt in the first place? It seems he should be our top choice but what do I know.
It should be him or Hartman. But Hartman is technically not in the portal.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Anybody else see this? *Language warning*

Sitting here wondering who let @gardnerwebbgator head up the collective? :lol:

Listened to about 30 seconds. That’s a pretty good snapshot of 90% of cane fans.

I also love how they envision that by living inside of Miami-Dade county, they’re automatically wealthy(unlike the poor people in Alachua). These are the people that drive in from Opa Locka or Kendall and invade SoBe to “do it up” and live vicariously through the people who actually have money. It’s so cool.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Denny Thompson said on his podcast every single kid that’s out there that he works with (And there’s well overall hundred) that is going into the portal, had already talk to somebody at a school and knew exactly where they were going before they even went into the portal
We all know it's happening just pointing out if it's the coaches they are talking to it's called tampering and a level 2 recruiting violation. If it's players on the team, no problem. If it's unregulated boosters, no problem. The NCAA is now completely toothless and UF should sue them to get back our 1984, 1985 and 1990 SEC Championships that were stripped from us for violations that aren't violations anymore. Before someone jumps in and starts some BS about me opining for the good ole days I'm just commenting on the current situation by responding to a question JDH asked. Not taking a position for or against just responding.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
We all know it's happening just pointing out if it's the coaches they are talking to it's called tampering and a level 2 recruiting violation. If it's players on the team, no problem. If it's unregulated boosters, no problem. The NCAA is now completely toothless and UF should sue them to get back our 1984, 1985 and 1990 SEC Championships that were stripped from us for violations that aren't violations anymore. Before someone jumps in and starts some BS about me opining for the good ole days I'm just commenting on the current situation by responding to a question JDH asked. Not taking a position for or against just responding.
Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
The Nulls added Keiondre Jones (Auburn) from the portal today. He makes the third OL they have added; all of who were highly sought after transfers. For years, they did a lousy job of recruiting OL’s and the results bore out on Saturdays. Norvell hasn’t done very well at recruiting a bunch from the HS ranks in his classes, but he is at least attacking the problem in another way.

Jones, btw, was a guy we were in the running for when he came out of HS and he even to took an OV to UF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.