Status
Not open for further replies.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Basically, check transferees out for health, durability, intensity potential, team loyalty, etc. Fill our needs foremost. We gotta trust Nap & crew to be diligent in evaluating these guys. = No one questionable admitted. No questionable standards at Florida anymore. Napcrew have to turn potential into effective on-field slamming reality. Be great for us to get to watch relentless effort, for a change - like Fighting Gators of old.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I'm really having trouble trying to figure out what's going on inside his head. He knows AR will most likely be the starter next year and they seemed to have a connection. Seems a very strange decision to me. I haven't looked at MD. much, do they have a really prolific passer at QB or something?
Yes... a QB that just tied the Big 10 record for most 300+ yard passing games in a season (I know, big 10, but still).

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
I'm really having trouble trying to figure out what's going on inside his head. He knows AR will most likely be the starter next year and they seemed to have a connection. Seems a very strange decision to me. I haven't looked at MD. much, do they have a really prolific passer at QB or something?
I actually think transferring was a good move for Copeland. Any QB is a massive upgrade compared to EJ and while Copeland is a run-of-the-mill WR in the SEC, he could have a breakout season against the soft azz Big 10 defenses, which will set him up well for the NFL draft.

Additionally, Napier employs a run heavy offense, not particularly attractive to a WR that will be required to take on more of a downfield blocking role.

Last edited:

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I actually think transferring was a good move for Copeland. Any QB is a massive upgrade compared to EJ and while Copeland is a run-of-the-mill WR in the SEC, he could have a breakout season against the soft azz Big 10 defenses, which will set him up well for the NFL draft.

Additionally, Napier employs a run heavy offense, not particularly attractive to a WR that will be required to take on more of a downfield blocking role.
I watched ULL's bowl game, did you? He took a lot of shots down the field. If you also watched the GFPN's film breakdown of the game, you'll see he had receivers running open but the QB just wasn't seeing them and getting them the ball (reminded me a LOT of EJ). AR15 will thrive in his offense if it stays very similar. Our #1 and #2 receivers will also do well imo. Just based on what I saw and heard James talking about on that film breakdown. Someone already said the QB at MD is Tua's little bro I think? That may have something to do with it also. He may feel like Tua's little bro will get him the ball more often. It's his choice, but I honestly doubt the transfer will get him better notice from the NFL. EJ is transferring by the way. He won't be throwing to any of the UF receivers next year.

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
I watched ULL's bowl game, did you? He took a lot of shots down the field. If you also watched the GFPN's film breakdown of the game, you'll see he had receivers running open but the QB just wasn't seeing them and getting them the ball (reminded me a LOT of EJ). AR15 will thrive in his offense if it stays very similar. Our #1 and #2 receivers will also do well imo. Just based on what I saw and heard James talking about on that film breakdown. Someone already said the QB at MD is Tua's little bro I think? That may have something to do with it also. He may feel like Tua's little bro will get him the ball more often. It's his choice, but I honestly doubt the transfer will get him better notice from the NFL. EJ is transferring by the way. He won't be throwing to any of the UF receivers next year.
With a 2 and 7 year old running my life, I can assure you I watched zero ULL football this year :). That being said, ULL had 160 more rush attempts in 2021 (565-405), 129 in 2020 (439-310) and 161 more rush attempts (574-413) in 2019, so the stats certainly point to a run heavy offense. I can understand Copeland’s decision, but I agree with you, no chance in hell I leave FL.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
With a 2 and 7 year old running my life, I can assure you I watched zero ULL football this year :). That being said, ULL had 160 more rush attempts in 2021 (565-405), 129 in 2020 (439-310) and 161 more rush attempts (574-413) in 2019, so the stats certainly point to a run heavy offense. I can understand Copeland’s decision, but I agree with you, no chance in hell I leave FL.
They also didn't have Anthony Richardson throwing darts all over the field with his huge arm. Copeland's biggest chance was staying at UF and being the big deep threat for AR next year.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Tua's skills or Maryland's pass-schemes make use of Tua's quick scan for primary then secondary receivers. Then he fires a fastball to where that WR will soon be in stride. Will Copeland adapt to those unfamiliar sets of demands.? Will his hands be sure.? Will his route running be true enough.?? He has been mal-trained his whole career. We'll have to wait to see.??

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Tua's skills or Maryland's pass-schemes make use of Tua's quick scan for primary then secondary receivers. Then he fires a fastball to where that WR will soon be in stride. Will Copeland adapt to those unfamiliar sets of demands.? Will his hands be sure.? Will his route running be true enough.?? He has been mal-trained his whole career. We'll have to wait to see.??

Agree, but he hasn’t been mal-trained. We’ve had a number of WRs in recent years who have thrived at UF, gotten drafted and are playing well in the NFL. Maybe a change will spur him to realize his potential, and an accurate QB would help a lot, but the issue is between his ears.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Yes... a QB that just tied the Big 10 record for most 300+ yard passing games in a season (I know, big 10, but still).
Copeland will do well in the right situation. He may just need more game reps. EJ is terrible. Taters O does feature the long ball but not very many intermediate or short passes. I thought Copelands strength was supposed to be after the catch ? Anyway ... Good luck to him.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Copeland is a standard issue, nothing special SEC receiver. If I recall correctly, he's also been at least somewhat of drama queen since all the silliness surrounding his recruitment and signing. His transfer could well serve to open up a spot in the Spring for a more promising and fully focused player - maybe even someone who actually wants to be a Gator. IMO, that would be a textbook example of addition by subtraction. I wish him luck, but I'm not all that sorry to see him go.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Unlike other players that might have been under utilized or ignored because of poor coaching, Copeland is his own worst enemy. It is very easy to see his attitude that he wears on his sleeve. His body language during the bowl game was miserable. I wish him well, but unless he looks at himself, he is not going to improve anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator