Trask has to be in the driver's seat for the Heisman, right?

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
More prime time games got more people to see his play than Trask.
Yours is the most sensible response regarding the Heisman award that I've seen on this entire board. To be honest, IMO both are great quarterbacks, PERIOD. Their respective stats really are close enough that if either were to win the Heisman it wouldn't really be a slight to the other. The whole, "Put Trask in Bama's offense with their O-Line and he would be so much better" argument is pathetic and immature. There is absolutely no way to definitively make such a statement. I could just as easily say that Jones would have done just as well playing behind the Gator's O-line with the receivers they have. The problem is, neither statement could ever be proven at all. Therefore, both statements are, or would be idiotic.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yours is the most sensible response regarding the Heisman award that I've seen on this entire board. To be honest, IMO both are great quarterbacks, PERIOD. Their respective stats really are close enough that if either were to win the Heisman it wouldn't really be a slight to the other. The whole, "Put Trask in Bama's offense with their O-Line and he would be so much better" argument is pathetic and immature. There is absolutely no way to definitively make such a statement. I could just as easily say that Jones would have done just as well playing behind the Gator's O-line with the receivers they have. The problem is, neither statement could ever be proven at all. Therefore, both statements are, or would be idiotic.

Wait, wasn’t that the same leftist media that you cautioned against reading that you now cite for elevating three-quarters of the Bama offense to first-team All-American? Attaboy. I knew you’d come around.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Wait, wasn’t that the same leftist media that you cautioned against reading that you now cite for elevating three-quarters of the Bama offense to first-team All-American? Attaboy. I knew you’d come around.
Umm, first of all, when did I caution anyone against reading leftist media regarding football? 2nd, a full 45% of Bama's offense was named to the first-team All-American team. And you are supposed to be a numbers guy... ROFL...

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Umm, first of all, when did I caution anyone against reading leftist media regarding football? 2nd, a full 45% of Bama's offense was named to the first-team All-American team. And you are supposed to be a numbers guy... ROFL...

I’m a “words” guy, too, hoss. That was hyperbole for effect in case in you missed it, which of course you did. You’re an IT guy who needs assistance logging into a website. ;-)

Still waiting for an argument for Jones beyond sitting lamely behind the media argument. Why does Jones deserve it over Trask? I’m not interested in deflection to Najee and DeVonta. I want to know why Mac deserves it.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I’m a “words” guy, too, hoss. That was hyperbole for effect in case in you missed it, which of course you did. You’re an IT guy who needs assistance logging into a website. ;-)

Still waiting for an argument for Jones beyond sitting lamely behind the media argument. Why does Jones deserve it over Trask? I’m not interested in deflection to Najee and DeVonta. I want to know why Mac deserves it.
Please show me where I have EVER said that Jones deserves the Heisman over Trask. Go ahead and give it a try...

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Please show me where I have EVER said that Jones deserves the Heisman over Trask. Go ahead and give it a try...

Is this going to devolve into an “I didn’t inhale” argument? Don’t be silly. Post #631. You’re dripping with sarcasm over the notion of Jones being named All-World by “those AP writers” who surely must know something all of us UF dummkopfs don’t. Did you forget?

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

You didn't watch his film breakdown. Trask is a better QB because he is much better at making reads. That's why we know that Trask would thrive at Bama and Jones would not be capable of coming close to matching Trask's performance if he were at UF. Jones could have had 600 yards passing on UFs soft D, but he often ignored wide open receivers because he only looks at his primary and checkdown.

Jones is the Heisman favorite because the voters and media are lazy. They see good stats and big wins. They don't watch all the games and don't really consider how valuable the player is to the team. UF is likely 5-5 without Trask. Bama is still undefeated without Jones.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

Nalt may be a homer, but he’s not that much of a homer. Especially on a Gator board.

I think Trask statistically deserves it, but too much bammer/Saban knob slobbing means Kyle doesn’t stand a chance.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Can we agree best player, esp quarterback, means best individual stats? Not best team or best running back or best wide receiver or best Walmart. No. Best stats.

When it comes to quarterback, the most important stats are touchdown passes, passing yards and interceptions. Trask won two of the three and really also won the picks comparison when you consider he had only ONE more with 82 more attempted passes.

Still waiting for something other than deflection from Nalt.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Is this going to devolve into an “I didn’t inhale” argument? Don’t be silly. Post #631. You’re dripping with sarcasm over the notion of Jones being named All-World by “those AP writers” who surely must know something all of us UF dummkopfs don’t. Did you forget?
Lol, No, I remember that post. And yeah, I did write that out with a bit of sarcasm but nothing I wrote indicates that I feel that Jones deserves the Heisman over Trask. NOTHING. Look, college football fans of every team are homers typically. Yes, I feel that my team is better than yours. Yes, you feel that your QB is better than mine. I got that. I actually don't have a problem with it. However, to be real, how about you explain why Trask finished the season as the 2nd team All-SEC QB and the AP 2nd team QB behind Jones? While you are at it, where did Trask finish in the voting for player of the year for the AP? Jones actually finished 2nd in voting for POY by the way. Why did Trask deserve those awards instead of Jones?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I've said it before, I'll say it again. Put Najee Harris or Jones behind UF's Oline and see how well they do. And Smith too, although technically WRs don't usually line up "behind" the OLine, but still, with UF's OLine, do you think another QB would've gotten the ball to him as many times or for as many yards/TDs? Yeah, I think not.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
You didn't watch his film breakdown. Trask is a better QB because he is much better at making reads. That's why we know that Trask would thrive at Bama and Jones would not be capable of coming close to matching Trask's performance if he were at UF. Jones could have had 600 yards passing on UFs soft D, but he often ignored wide open receivers because he only looks at his primary and checkdown.

Jones is the Heisman favorite because the voters and media are lazy. They see good stats and big wins. They don't watch all the games and don't really consider how valuable the player is to the team. UF is likely 5-5 without Trask. Bama is still undefeated without Jones.
I bet you make your living as a football analyst, am I right? No? Hmmm. You can speculate as well as anyone but at the end of the day, it is still just pure speculation... And Jones ISN'T the Heisman favorite. Devonte Smith is... ;)

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
So all I'm hearing from you guys is that "Bama's O-line" is the only reason that Jones has been successful. You need to realize that there is NO WAY to prove that assumption. And, if the Bama O-line is so good, give them the Heisman... ;)

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Lol, No, I remember that post. And yeah, I did write that out with a bit of sarcasm but nothing I wrote indicates that I feel that Jones deserves the Heisman over Trask. NOTHING. Look, college football fans of every team are homers typically. Yes, I feel that my team is better than yours. Yes, you feel that your QB is better than mine. I got that. I actually don't have a problem with it. However, to be real, how about you explain why Trask finished the season as the 2nd team All-SEC QB and the AP 2nd team QB behind Jones? While you are at it, where did Trask finish in the voting for player of the year for the AP? Jones actually finished 2nd in voting for POY by the way. Why did Trask deserve those awards instead of Jones?

That’s very simple. Because voters are unduly influenced by team success. Trask was widely considered the front runner going into the SECCG.

Imagine overturning the Heisman lead was akin to overruling an official’s call on the field. Was Jones’ performance alone worthy of overtaking Trask for the lead, esp when Trask played like a warrior to get undermanned Florida back in the game in the second half?

I say it was inconclusive.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So all I'm hearing from you guys is that "Bama's O-line" is the only reason that Jones has been successful. You need to realize that there is NO WAY to prove that assumption. And, if the Bama O-line is so good, give them the Heisman... ;)

It's an individual award. Not a team or unit award. And yes, I absolutely believe even Filipe Franks could've had Jone's stats behind Bama's OLine.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Can we agree best player, esp quarterback, means best individual stats? Not best team or best running back or best wide receiver or best Walmart. No. Best stats.

When it comes to quarterback, the most important stats are touchdown passes, passing yards and interceptions. Trask won two of the three and really also won the picks comparison when you consider he had only ONE more with 82 more attempted passes.

Still waiting for something other than deflection from Nalt.
No, I don't agree that "stats" defines the best player necessarily. Specifically at the QB position. The QB gets the benefit of total passing yards but in most cases, there are more yards after the catch that he gets the benefit of that he has absolutely no control/influence on. Do some research to figure out how many passing yards Jones and Trask actually have to the point the ball is caught and stop right there. Don't give them credit for yards after the catch. Then compare that. I have no idea which QB would have the most yards or even TD's. Of course pass attempts, completed passes, completion %, and QB ratings would obviously stay the same but then you would get a better idea of what the two QBs actually did passing-wise.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
That’s very simple. Because voters are unduly influenced by team success. Trask was widely considered the front runner going into the SECCG.

Imagine overturning the Heisman lead was akin to overruling an official’s call on the field. Was Jones’ performance alone worthy of overtaking Trask for the lead, esp when Trask played like a warrior to get undermanned Florida back in the game in the second half?

I say it was inconclusive.
You seem to be hung up on Jones "passing" Trask in the Heisman race. Since you obviously have your head in the sand, it is Smith, after the SECCG performance, that is now leading in the Heisman race, not Jones.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
It's an individual award. Not a team or unit award. And yes, I absolutely believe even Filipe Franks could've had Jone's stats behind Bama's OLine.
It is an individual award, 100%! The rest is just speculation though and can not be proven. But...Franks is a good QB no doubt. Imagine what he could have accomplished behind UF's O-line... :rotfl: And yes, I do know that he transferred FROM Florida...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator