Treon has made the switch

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I can't recall player led practices this time of year. Usually strength training until spring practices. But yes, we've had player run practices in the summer for awhile.

As for Treon in the slot, who knows if he can run routes or catch. If he can, I doubt he gets more than 500 yds total over the next 2 yrs

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I hope we have enough in QB position that we never have to play him again. I've never railed on him and I don't resent him for his lack of performance. He did what he could and that really isn't good enough, so I hope he's done a QB. I don't think he's good enough to be an impact player at WR or CB. I also never thought Timmy could switch to TE and magically be NFL level at that either. Anyway, I don't think Treon will be an impact player at WR or CB because
  1. I don't think he's fast enough. He's faster than I am, but not as fast as he needs to be.
  2. He's too passive / calm. Even when he ran as a QB, he rarely ran full speed. It seemed he was running at 80% even after passing the LoS. That passivity will not serve him well as a WR and certainly not as a CB.
  3. If he leaves UF, I won't hate on him either, though I'd welcome him to stay and try to complete a meaningful education.

Maxxodd

Chill Winston
Lifetime Member
Dec 2, 2015
Maybe we can get Treon some of that $hit Grier was on and move him to linebacker.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Congratulations.
1407176860000-Monica-Jones--Nick-Oza-shot.jpg

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
I hope this is true, both for selfish and unselfish reasons.

I don't ever want to see him take another qb snap for UF.....ever, but I don't hate the kid either. He gave us everything he had, it just wasn't good enough to win at this level.

Hope he's a contributor otherwise for his remaining 2 years here.
This. I think he could do at least as well as Powell although he might not be as fast.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
According to these links, in the 40-yard Powell runs a 4.44 and Treon runs a 4.58. I know these are times from their HS days, but I gotta believe Powell is faster than Treon.

Agreed on the speed. Powell is probably a little faster, but Treon is more elusive. Powell seems to get brought down by the first defender just about every time
he touches the football.

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
Im trying to decide what this says about Treon, or could say. Think about it, you've been the starting QB at UF for two years and now due to your job performance you're switching positions; does this say you're humble and unselfish and want the best for the team? Does it say you realize you're in over your head but this is where you want to be? Or our you going through the motions and looking for where to transfer? After his brushes with the law, and his on field performance, I've never thought too much of the guy so swallowing the pride and sticking with the team would seem out of character.

ppinesgator

Founding Member
aka "Biggums"
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
He's a coaches' son who grew up with football and team concept served at every meal. Until he proves otherwise, I believe he'll do what's right for his team and team mates and try and find a place on the field to contribute. He's that kind of kid, I believe.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Ppinesgator, I'm hoping in alignment with what you pointed out about Treon... that
he hits the practice field with renewed vigor, determined to 'shine' at another place
on the team. We only need to remember what a competitor (fierce on beating his
opponent) that he's succeeded at his entire H.S. career. He can now be an addition
and not a subtraction.

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
He's a coaches' son who grew up with football and team concept served at every meal. Until he proves otherwise, I believe he'll do what's right for his team and team mates and try and find a place on the field to contribute. He's that kind of kid, I believe.

I hope you're right but I remain to be convinced. Time will tell but it could be a cool story if he has success at another position. I'm trying to think of any other Gators that came in and began their career at one position and then switched halfway through and were successful? Chris Collinsworth? Was a QB but I'm not sure for how long before he switched.

ppinesgator

Founding Member
aka "Biggums"
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
I hope you're right but I remain to be convinced. Time will tell but it could be a cool story if he has success at another position. I'm trying to think of any other Gators that came in and began their career at one position and then switched halfway through and were successful? Chris Collinsworth? Was a QB but I'm not sure for how long before he switched.

Agreed that it will be a great story if he busts his ass and succeeds at another position. But by just busting his ass and not quitting in his teammates, like so many other UF quarterbacks have done, would speak pretty highly of his character. So we'll see.

Meanwhile, Collinsworth was an All America QB at Astronaut High School becore coming to UF. He also won the State of Florida 3A100 yard dash as a high school freshman. He made the switch to receiver at UF his sophomore year. If memory serves, he still holds the UF QB record for pass yards in a single play - but it was a short pass followed by a long run for the receiver.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Meanwhile, Collinsworth was an All America QB at Astronaut High School becore coming to UF. He also won the State of Florida 3A100 yard dash as a high school freshman. He made the switch to receiver at UF his sophomore year. If memory serves, he still holds the UF QB record for pass yards in a single play - but it was a short pass followed by a long run for the receiver.

I believe he still holds the record, but it's hard to top a 99 yard pass.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I can't recall player led practices this time of year. Usually strength training until spring practices.

Credit Mac and Foley for getting the IPF up and functional. Prior to that, the practice fields would typically be under several inches of snow and the kids ill dressed to play out in that kind of sub-freezing weather. Now, with the IPF, they can practice year round indoors.

Wait....they aren't up North with me awaiting the new snow storm. Nevermind.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Not sure how good the meatloaf is on Wednesdays. I know players used to stay in shape or even run pass routes with the qb and wrs, but organized practices? Who knew?

I apologize. I was taking this as more "QBs and WRs running routes". I did not realize this was actually organized, with actual drills and perhaps peer (since staff is barred) evaluation and criticism/coaching for improvements. I would like to hear more about how this is 'organized' beyond running routes. We certainly need it and I would take that as positive 'huge' news.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Was originally Reed brought in to be a tight end and then moved back to qb when things got bad in 2010... could be wrong, but through that was going to be his original position for us.

Negative, Reed was brought in as a QB and made the switch to TE when needed. A move that seems to be proving out very good for him in the NFL.

Reference
Early years
A native of New Britain, Connecticut, Reed attended New London High School. As a junior, he completed 122 of 222 passes for 1,706 yards and 38 touchdowns. He threw only two interceptions, and also rushed for 370 yards and eight touchdowns. He led New London to an undefeated regular season in 2007, and was a finalist for the 2008 Joe Montana High School Quarterback of the Year. Considered a four-star recruit by Rivals.com, he was rated the 10th best dual-threat quarterback in the nation.[1]

College career
Reed accepted an athletic scholarship to attend the University of Florida, where he played for coach Urban Meyer and coach Will Muschamp's Florida Gators football teams from 2009 to 2012. Originally recruited as a quarterback, he did not appear in any games and was redshirted as a true freshman in 2009. Thereafter, he shifted to the tight end position. Reed finished his three-season college career with 78 receptions for 938 yards and six touchdowns. He decided to forgo his final season of college eligibility, and enter the NFL Draft after the 2012 season.[2]

WillGetIn

Founding Member
Stalker
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Negative, Reed was brought in as a QB and made the switch to TE when needed. A move that seems to be proving out very good for him in the NFL.

Reference

Um, I think it was "made the switch to TE when he couldn't handle the playbook and decision making". I *might* be wrong.

:lmao2:

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Credit Mac and Foley for getting the IPF up and functional. Prior to that, the practice fields would typically be under several inches of snow and the kids ill dressed to play out in that kind of sub-freezing weather. Now, with the IPF, they can practice year round indoors.

Well it stormed this morning. It's also going to be sub 50 degree tomorrow. I get you hyperbole, but the summer storms will not stop the hard workers either

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014

Don't know where you live but here in Florida we get a lot of lightning which forced the team to practice in the parking garage. The IPF was 10 years overdue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator