Treon has made the switch

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Good to hear as Treon just kept regressing and couldn't adapt to what the defenses were throwing at him.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Don't know where you live but here in Florida we get a lot of lightning which forced the team to practice in the parking garage. The IPF was 10 years overdue.

I live in PA now. The quote was referencing "player led practices this time of year" so I went with the winter weather. Spending most of my first 30+ yrs in G'ville I recall the thunderstorms and the 20 minute rain showers daily from 4-5 during the spring but not so much in the winter. But yeah, I know exactly what you mean about the lightning during some parts of the year.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Im trying to decide what this says about Treon, or could say. Think about it, you've been the starting QB at UF for two years and now due to your job performance you're switching positions; does this say you're humble and unselfish and want the best for the team? Does it say you realize you're in over your head but this is where you want to be? Or our you going through the motions and looking for where to transfer? After his brushes with the law, and his on field performance, I've never thought too much of the guy so swallowing the pride and sticking with the team would seem out of character.
Folks are getting this a little wrong IMO. The guy's at a football internship factory and has had extensive tryouts at QB. He's gotten the message loud and clear "it ain't gonna happen son".

He's not exactly the academic type who can fall back on getting his degree then on to grad school and a solid professional career. The coaches had the talk with him and he's making the switch the same reason a hundred guys before him did (including Powell), to have a chance to get on the field and audition for the NFL. The coaches don't have to let him switch and could keep him as 3rd string QB but they honestly want to help the players by giving the best shot at getting to the NFL if that is a realistic goal.

No one is making an unselfish decision. They're all doing what's best for them. If he was 6' 4 with a big arm like JD he'd transfer to continue his dream of being an NFL QB, but he's not so he's switching to keep his dream alive. I hope he kicks azz personally.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
No one is making an unselfish decision. They're all doing what's best for them. If he was 6' 4 with a big arm like JD he'd transfer to continue his dream of being an NFL QB, but he's not so he's switching to keep his dream alive. I hope he kicks azz personally.

.... as opposed to getting a surrogate azz kicker ?

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is a great point. Even if he were good, his chances at making it in the NFL are slim. I've heard that insiders in the Florida program say that Treon is only 5'9. The average QB in the NFL is 6'3. Russell Wilson is the shortest at 5'11. Treon's got no professional future in the sport if he doesn't move to another position.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
This is a great point. Even if he were good, his chances at making it in the NFL are slim. I've heard that insiders in the Florida program say that Treon is only 5'9. The average QB in the NFL is 6'3. Russell Wilson is the shortest at 5'11. Treon's got no professional future in the sport if he doesn't move to another position.
I don't think his height has anything to do with him not being able to play the position. Personally I think it is decision making skills that makes him unable to play the position.

Here is a list of the "greatest short QBs of the NFL". There was Eddie LeBaron that was 5'7 and of course Doug Flutie at 5'10 if that means anything.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/the-nfls-best-short-quarterbacks-of-alltime/

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I don't think his height has anything to do with him not being able to play the position. Personally I think it is decision making skills that makes him unable to play the position.

Here is a list of the "greatest short QBs of the NFL". There was Eddie LeBaron that was 5'7 and of course Doug Flutie at 5'10 if that means anything.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/the-nfls-best-short-quarterbacks-of-alltime/

Ha. I'd never heard of LeBaron and was going to guess he was back in the pre-pass football era, a great runner with a leather helmet. I was wrong.

7. Eddie LeBaron, 5-7. The Little General is in the Redskins ring of fame and made it to four Pro Bowls. The Redskins listed him at 5-9, but LaBaron has fessed up to being 5-7. He was unprotected by the Redskins in the expansion draft in 1960, and the Cowboys claimed him, making him their first ever quarterback. The veteran of the Korean War never had a winning season, and he threw 37 more interceptions than touchdowns in his career.

He may have been the shortest. Not sure how he makes a list of 'greatest'. Maybe for the 4 Pro Bowls, but the last sentence undermines 'great'. Wonder how he made those Pro Bowls, tbh.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

/

I agree. It's possible he could be delusional enough to think he'll improve his skills at QB, but he couldn't be delusional enough to believe he'll grow several inches in height.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Late yesterday afternoon I received a text from a friend (who attends UF) saying he was getting to check out the player ran practice.He saw Treon running with the skill players on offense and the DB group on D. Treon was never in the QB group during the 2 hrs of practice. Also said Del-Rio and Appleby looked Sharp as hell while the FR QB's we're off target for most of day.

Really glad to hear this news. Appreciate you sharing it. Treon gets to switch positions like he wanted and needed to, and we have 2 QBs that at least look good at practice.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
While I believe that your friend saw what was reported... I am not sure that that means he is switching positions.

1. Treon is our only SEC game experienced QB. I find it highly unlikely that the staff would want him to switch until they know what other guys can do in game situations.

2. This is a player run practice. Treon has more experience in this offense than anybody else. He could have been letting Appleby and Del-Rio get snaps to gain experience. Treon could have been running the other positions for fun and/or as a way to coach the players. (showing what a DB might do in situations or how a WR should react to the QB)

3. Treon could have an arm injury preventing him from throwing right now so he participated in other ways.

I truly hope we have enough QB talent to allow Treon to switch positions. I think that is best for UF and for Treon in the long run, but I am not sure your friends account means that. I hope it does, but I'm not buying yet.
I understand that what you say is factual and could also be the scenario. I think Treon has had his fill of QB and wants a chance to excel at another position while there is time. I'm going to leap ahead and speculate he gets to do that and we get a serviceable QB next season. win win.

Ingle Martin

Nov 8, 2014
I've missed you!

I wish I knew how to quit you T!
uhoh.gif

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I wouldn't be shocked at all if this is true. I saw a report that he asked to switch positions after the Ole Miss game, but obviously didn't have a choice once Grier got suspended. He may not have been the best QB by any means but I don't think we should overlook that he basically saved two seasons in a row. Issues a side he's been a good Gator so far.....except for those three little issues he had lol.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I wouldn't be shocked at all if this is true. I saw a report that he asked to switch positions after the Ole Miss game, but obviously didn't have a choice once Grier got suspended. He may not have been the best QB by any means but I don't think we should overlook that he basically saved two seasons in a row. Issues a side he's been a good Gator so far.....except for those three little issues he had lol.
Good point Willis and perhaps why he was "not in to it". With Del Rio having to sit out there was absolutely no other option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.