Truth Takes: Arkansas Review 2023

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Jesus H. Christ. This was embarrassing, even for you. Next you'll tell us he's a pedophile as well.

Good thread, good honest discussion, then we get one these. Guys like this (and posters who actually click the "Like" button for posts like these) need to hire a.....oh why bother.
yeah thats a crazy post. billy by all accounts that we have seen/heard is likely a wonderful guy, father, husband, etc. He's exactly who i think of when i think of a role model sunday school teacher. I see no narcissistic tendencies at all. but unfortunately we play on saturday, not sunday, and on the gridiron, not a chapel. And while he seems very humble and respectful, he also doesnt seem to grasp that his process is either failing to effectively mitigate ingrained failure within the players and staff, or worse yet, is contributing to it.

but that said, he definitely seems like a great role model for kids. just not a great coach for them if winning is the goal.

Last edited:

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Unfortunately billy showed he’s an arrogant, narcissistic man with debilitating blind spots, no passion, who thinks being liked by his players is more important than being a winner. He’s keeping his staff because he can’t part ways with buddies and puts relationships above excellence. He will NOT hire an OC that exposes his ineffective system. He doesn’t have the drive to make his assistants better and his lack of attention to critical details have cost his players at least two wins. “Nice guy? Go home and play with your kids”. He’s a narcissist and incapable of accepting what’s really present in his program. His presser showed he thinks he’s smarter than the people that are trained to see the team’s shortcomings and ask questions.
Jesus H. Christ. This was embarrassing, even for you. Next you'll tell us he's a pedophile as well.

Good thread, good honest discussion, then we get one these. Guys like this (and posters who actually click the "Like" button for posts like these) need to hire a.....oh why bother.

We will see how the offseason goes. IF he doesn't make the changes, then Silverback might be more valid. I am waiting to see what happens there first.

Ox, I understand and I think that it may be off base. We will see what happens. I think he at least tries to make changes, however, if he goes full Mullen...well...and Again, I don't think he goes full Mullen

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018

What's embarrassing is that a coach who's paid $7M dollars a year can't count to 11 on a consistent basis.

It's bad enough it happened once this year. You'd think that a coach who preaches a "process" and that we're "learning" and "evaluating" would eventually COUNT ELEVEN PLAYERS FOR A SPECIAL TEAMS ASSIGNMENT and have them ready to go come gameday after being laughed at across the football world for screwing this up the first time.

Instead, we've had ten on the field in pretty much every game of the season at least once.

That is what I call embarrassing.
And that's not even mentioning the other special teams debacles.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
All of you fellas misunderstand me, and have done so since day 1. If Billy was fired tomorrow it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. There are millions of red flags, baffling ones. How can someone who seems so process-based also seem to be so damn disorganized? I didn't know what to expect from Napier, but disorganized was one of those things I didn't expect.

However, there is something you all have to grasp, or you'll continue to take years off your life. Billy isn't getting fired anytime soon. It's not even something that is on the radar of the AD, the President, the Board, or the janitor (well, maybe the janitor). He'll have next year AT MINIMUM, and if the wheels fall off he'll get canned in the middle of his 4th season like all the others. The fact that AGAIN we all have to b!tch about firing a coach on this board for at least 18 months sucks balls.

I'm personally not going to wring my hands and spew hate for 18 months, I refuse.

And Billy isn't Muschamp, who was a major jerk (who couldn't recruit), or Butters, who was a major idiot (who couldn't recruit), or Mullen, who was an amazing combination of jerk and idiot (who couldn't recruit). He's a decent guy who works his ass off on the trail and it's paying off. He's fair game when it comes to his coaching, but the personal vitriol (like Silverback's insane post, or anything Gatorbait25 posts about him) is surprising even to me. There is plenty to criticize him about without making crap up.

The only control any of us have over any of this is not to care/watch anymore. We can just walk away. Millions have over the last 10 years. I don't think the current UF brass (including Sasse) really give a damn. They want to be an Ivy League school, that's what they dream about. Not winning titles.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
All of you fellas misunderstand me, and have done so since day 1. If Billy was fired tomorrow it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. There are millions of red flags, baffling ones. How can someone who seems so process-based also seem to be so damn disorganized? I didn't know what to expect from Napier, but disorganized was one of those things I didn't expect.

However, there is something you all have to grasp, or you'll continue to take years off your life. Billy isn't getting fired anytime soon. It's not even something that is on the radar of the AD, the President, the Board, or the janitor (well, maybe the janitor). He'll have next year AT MINIMUM, and if the wheels fall off he'll get canned in the middle of his 4th season like all the others. The fact that AGAIN we all have to b!tch about firing a coach on this board for at least 18 months sucks balls.

I'm personally not going to wring my hands and spew hate for 18 months, I refuse.

And Billy isn't Muschamp, who was a major jerk (who couldn't recruit), or Butters, who was a major idiot (who couldn't recruit), or Mullen, who was an amazing combination of jerk and idiot (who couldn't recruit). He's a decent guy who works his ass off on the trail and it's paying off. He's fair game when it comes to his coaching, but the personal vitriol (like Silverback's insane post, or anything Gatorbait25 posts about him) is surprising even to me. There is plenty to criticize him about without making crap up.

The only control any of us have over any of this is not to care/watch anymore. We can just walk away. Millions have over the last 10 years. I don't think the current UF brass (including Sasse) really give a damn. They want to be an Ivy League school, that's what they dream about. Not winning titles.

WM worked hard as well. That was never in question. And yes, he became very confrontational with the media and fans…in year 3, and mostly because in his semi-retarded little mind, he actually felt like 2012 was able to be replicated and we’d just won 11 games. There were questionable comments made after Uk, less than half way into year 2. All this “good guy” talk is dwindling by the day. Look at how he just ended the press conference today, according to Graham Hall.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018

I am not embarrassed, not at all. He is his record, and he IS his in-game management. I don't call for him to be fired because stricklin would just bungle the next hire, so what's the difference. But his in-game and post-game ineffectiveness are enemies of the program. He might be a great recruiter. It appears he is. But he hasn't signed this class. Do I hope for a mass exodus that cements his future? Hell no! Because, his recruiting is our best hope. But outside of recruiting, he's pitiful. Please please save my post and when Napier proves I am FOS, lets go back to it.

If I were his boss, we would be having some serious discussions, for HIS benefit. The guy clearly needs to accept constructive criticism, even a performance plan, if such a thing can exist between an AD and HC. The "we look at everything" but do nothing is old and the same disorganization and poor in-game processes are really damning.

Our OL is in such shape in part because he allowed three potentially very capable OL to transfer and his portal entrants have not played well. Our S&C seem inadequate, our motivation and discipline are suspect. What else do you want me to say? Yeah, he can recruit, and I love recruiting. But his self love is his achilles heel.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
WM worked hard as well. That was never in question. And yes, he became very confrontational with the media and fans…in year 3, and mostly because in his semi-retarded little mind, he actually felt like 2012 was able to be replicated and we’d just won 11 games. There were questionable comments made after Uk, less than half way into year 2. All this “good guy” talk is dwindling by the day. Look at how he just ended the press conference today, according to Graham Hall.
I never thought I'd see you like this.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
I am not embarrassed, not at all. He is his record, and he IS his in-game management. I don't call for him to be fired because stricklin would just bungle the next hire, so what's the difference. But his in-game and post-game ineffectiveness are enemies of the program. He might be a great recruiter. It appears he is. But he hasn't signed this class. Do I hope for a mass exodus that cements his future? Hell no! Because, his recruiting is our best hope. But outside of recruiting, he's pitiful. Please please save my post and when Napier proves I am FOS, lets go back to it.

If I were his boss, we would be having some serious discussions, for HIS benefit. The guy clearly needs to accept constructive criticism, even a performance plan, if such a thing can exist between an AD and HC. The "we look at everything" but do nothing is old and the same disorganization and poor in-game processes are really damning.

Our OL is in such shape in part because he allowed three potentially very capable OL to transfer and his portal entrants have not played well. Our S&C seem inadequate, our motivation and discipline are suspect. What else do you want me to say? Yeah, he can recruit, and I love recruiting. But his self love is his achilles heel.
I agree with this. Where I did not agree was your earlier post suggesting BN is a narcissist! He does not exhibit any of the tendencies of a narcissist, he is the exact opposite of it. He seems genuinely in sync with the needs and feelings of his team, coaches and staff. I have yet to hear him utter a single arrogant comment but he is clearly feeling the pressure exerted in pressers. His answering questions with a question or saying "good question" then not responding is frustrating.

All that said it does not matter. Gator Nation wants a competent, consistent, well coached team on the field and expects to witness some quality wins. That is a reasonable expectation for year two and as that school to our NW has proved by year three we should be seeing enough victories to qualify for either a quality bowl game or a shot in the expanded playoffs! I like him, I have little confidence (or hope) he can right the ship.

Saulgoodman

Sep 26, 2019
What progress? Elaborate please!
Oh God I really do not want to do this. Please don't make me feel like Ox trying to defend against the horde

Michael Scott No GIF

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
What's embarrassing is that a coach who's paid $7M dollars a year can't count to 11 on a consistent basis.

It's bad enough it happened once this year. You'd think that a coach who preaches a "process" and that we're "learning" and "evaluating" would eventually COUNT ELEVEN PLAYERS FOR A SPECIAL TEAMS ASSIGNMENT and have them ready to go come gameday after being laughed at across the football world for screwing this up the first time.

Instead, we've had ten on the field in pretty much every game of the season at least once.

That is what I call embarrassing.
And that's not even mentioning the other special teams debacles.
Well, you know, there is a player responsible for that, right?

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
I don't think I've agreed with a Truth Takes as much as this one ever. From the tone, the lack of surprise at the loss, the lack of surprise or outrage at the same errors we've now seen consistently repeated, the underlying emotion or lack thereof - all of it seemed on point.

I'm now waiting on being shocked by a result: either (1) Stricklin's firing is announced sometime in the next 12 months, or (2) Billy goes on an unforeseen winning streak to end this year or start next.

For the schedule analysis, the only place i disagree is whether Mertz is actually better than 6 teams who will have new QBs next year. As our season begins to have no big picture goals, I'd like to see us give Max Browne a legit shot with the ones.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Where I did not agree was your earlier post suggesting BN is a narcissist!
I can admit I am highly narcissistic about Gator Football. I cannot stand to lose and deep down feels like our success makes me better, and I allow our failure to make me feel worse. It's tribal. I believe quite a number of our fans feels this way, largely out of pride for The University. When a player of high stature commits to UF, I love it. I feel great, even validated. So yeah, maybe he is the opposite of narcissistic because, he's apparently not affected. Spurrier, Meyer, Saban, and I suppose Shart, who for a while now has not had to face losing, demonstrate that they hate to lose. Never would those coaches appear to be okay with losing, whereas Napier seems all too comfortable with it.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Regarding the press conference ending, after fielding questions about his prior gaffes and our collective frustrations most of the time, he got a question about LSU's offense and Daniels. After giving a somewhat substantive answer he concluded by saying "Appreciate the question about LSU."

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
Well, you know, there is a player responsible for that, right?

Or an asst that coach is covering for in order to skirt around NCAA rules since we officially don't have a "special teams coach" and grad assts aren't supposed to be doing game-day coaching...:suspect:

...if I were the AD, I'd be getting the University attorneys to start exploring ways to throw "for cause" allegations behind the scenes to reduce the buyout.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
For the schedule analysis, the only place i disagree is whether Mertz is actually better than 6 teams who will have new QBs next year. As our season begins to have no big picture goals, I'd like to see us give Max Browne a legit shot with the ones.
To clarify, the comment is not that Mertz is better. The comment is about an idea I've heard many times this season that you cannot expect a QB in their first year to do well. I think that is ridiculous and can name multiple Heisman winners in the last 16 years (who won in 2007 first year as starter?) who did that. But if that is the logic, I'll work within the framework of excuses I've heard.

That said, our QB room is and has been 100% this coach's so not being more talented than UCF/UK/LSU/UT/FSU/Miss State (well, technically Rogers could come back) then it is on him. That doesn't include things like if TVD leaves Miami, if Dart leaves OM, and/or Beck leaving after 4 years at UGA.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Regarding the press conference ending, after fielding questions about his prior gaffes and our collective frustrations most of the time, he got a question about LSU's offense and Daniels. After giving a somewhat substantive answer he concluded by saying "Appreciate the question about LSU."
Just watched today's presser on Gatorvision, it conveniently cut that part but boy was Billy peeved. He was seething with anger towards the fans and reporters.

These next 3 pressers are going to be awesome! He's already going with the "prison Mike" look. Plus we already know he's violent as he supposedly attacked Dabo.

Im almost ready to put money down that he throws a water bottle at a reporter or pulls a Will Smith on a fan.

Will Smith Slap GIF by Oi

"Keep my players name out cho mouth!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator