Truth Takes: Charlotte Review 2023

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
you'll see in the presser if you watch that he fully explained the issue from saturday night... i wasn't totally paying attention, but he said there was something about that 4th down that changed and we didn't have our return man on the field or something like that. for the FG question, his answer was "there's no way we kicked a FG with only 10 men on the field."
He said he was fine with us playing only 10 and not having a punt returner on the field on a punt. I'm not bashing Napier on this issue, but that seemed like pressure and deflection due to all the ST issues. In prior pressers, before the lack of a ST coach became such a repeated narrative, I think he simply says "Yeah, that's an obvious mistake. Of course we want to be sure we have 11 guys playing football and we need to fix that."

I've never seen a coach actively defend and twice say he was ok with playing only 10 guys.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Yes, ESPN missed a lot. Seems like they only brought two cameras to do this ESPN+ Premium Content broadcast. Occasionally the camera person would bite on the play fake and follow the wrong player until almost the end of the play. But yeah, no views of downfield coverage was frustrating. I paid $10 to see this. I suggested to wife she break out the cards for some gin rummy to make the evening more exciting.
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but if you already get the SEC Network from your provider, you could have streamed this game for free. (Next time UF is playing a game on ESPN+ remind me and I'll tell you what to do.)

All of your points were right on, plus one more: the announcers were not very good; definitely junior varsity freshman team.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but if you already get the SEC Network from your provider, you could have streamed this game for free. (Next time UF is playing a game on ESPN+ remind me and I'll tell you what to do.)

All of your points were right on, plus one more: the announcers were not very good; definitely junior varsity freshman team.
The only problem I noticed with the free SECN+ coverage was that it was about 30 seconds behind the ESPN+ not free feed...

I found it REALLY f'ng annoying when people were reacting to things in the game in the chat box before I could see them on TV... what kind of cretin would do that to other people?

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Here's a quote from an article re Charlotte from an article on Only Gators:

"We moved the ball really effectively. We’ve got to score touchdowns when we get it down there.”

It's coach speak, of course. But what comes to mind is, does Napier really know how to score TDs when inside the 15? Hope he gets better at it.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019

Thanks for the info GBM. When it comes to modern gadgetry I am definitely on the freshman team and will never make varsity. My VCR is still flashing **12:00**.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Thanks for the info GBM. When it comes to modern gadgetry I am definitely on the freshman team and will never make varsity. My VCR is still flashing **12:00**.
I've learned a lot over the years from my kids. Really helps right now to have my daughter living at home while she goes to grad school!

Last edited:

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The only problem I noticed with the free SECN+ coverage was that it was about 30 seconds behind the ESPN+ not free feed...

I found it REALLY f'ng annoying when people were reacting to things in the game in the chat box before I could see them on TV... what kind of cretin would do that to other people?
Complete ass holes that's for sure!

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
I've learned a lot over the years from my kids. Really helps right now to have my daughter living at while she goes to grad school!
My kids and grands are scattered all over the USA, none close by, unfortunately.

As to the announcers--at least it wasn't Beth Mowins. But that's the only bright spot.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member

boom GIF

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
He had a comment to the effect of, we moved the ball really well and did some things, except n 3rd down and in the red zone

Really, you don’t say

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
He had a comment to the effect of, we moved the ball really well and did some things, except n 3rd down and in the red zone

Really, you don’t say
Am I the only one to remember him saying, last year, the same two issues needed to be fixed?
How long does it take him to fix them by hiring someone?
Now, to be clear, I'm a fan of CBN and think big things are on the horizon for the Gators but he absolutely must hire a ST coach and either hire a passing game coordinator or an OC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator