Truth Takes: Florida takes down Utah

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Something to be pointed out is that well coached teams usually correct a majority of issues(missed tackles on defense and missed assignments in protection)between weeks 1 and 2. We'll find out even more about this team and coach next game although this should be wind in their sails.
The other good thing about opening with a tough out of conference opponent(if were to believe they were worthy of their ranking) is you don't have to wait until the 3rd or 4th game to find out who's who and what kind of team you may have once the rubber meets the road.
We head that the last three coaches. Let's hope it's actually true this time.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Look at the stat line for this game, only 3 players listed as a LB on the roster registered a tackle (Miller, Burney, and Shermer). We need to recruit some damn LBs! Also, true freshman Devin Moore was on the field when Burney made the interception. Unreal. We played a ton of defensive guys. Only 3 DTs recorded a stat too (Garvon, Lee - 1 tackle, and Watson - 3 tackles). We have big issues there.

Great write up GT!

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
Great write up!

The last time I heard the Swamp that loud was the Grier comeback against TN. I think the crowd was a factor on that last drive.

Cozumel Gator

Living in paradise, streaming all games
Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2016
Truth, you start the new era with my version of "breakfast with the gators". Definitely an old guy reference from an era long ago. Our baby boomers are slowly dying off, I hope to be here for one more national championship.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Truth, I think this is your best breakdown from the last 5 years. Love the Kingdom of Heaven reference. Fantastic movie. Also, I'm enjoying the podcasts. Keep up the good work.

Thank you JB. I'm trying to get better at everything. Kingdom of Heaven is one of my favorite movie, so many good quotes. I actually was going to put the reference in the preview podcast, but I kept butchering the delivery and figured "F it, probably would jinx it anyway so save it for if we pull out the W."

Some have commented on Miller's whiff on a pick-6 to seal the game. However, I'd like to point out he's EASILY our most fundamentally sound and consistent tackler (even when granthem was trying his best to ruin the defense), and he's the one who popped the ball loose on 4th & goal when the rb might've otherwise snuck across.

Miller gives this staff a year to get the other LBs properly trained before the '23 season starts.

I think he did great, especially coming back from injury. I meant to put, and realize I didn't Burney's quote about Miller's drop. “Shout out to Trell for dropping the first one.” How many players have we seen never be the same after injury? These guys will definitely keep improving. My brother commented that Miller was in the correct position a lot while we were watching the game.

Now that we have game tape, the coaches will do their one on ones they've talked about where they show them things they did that were not fundamentally sound or poor and coach them up on how to fix it. I think some D issues were more scheme than players. Not all, but some.

More dangling participles. God damnit.

I'll show you a dangling participle. :bart:

Torrrance(?) could easily have been ejected for targeting on their first TD.

Missed that. Watching the replay you are right. Eyes were down towards the ground when the head to head contact made.

Something to be pointed out is that well coached teams usually correct a majority of issues(missed tackles on defense and missed assignments in protection)between weeks 1 and 2. We'll find out even more about this team and coach next game although this should be wind in their sails.
The other good thing about opening with a tough out of conference opponent(if were to believe they were worthy of their ranking) is you don't have to wait until the 3rd or 4th game to find out who's who and what kind of team you may have once the rubber meets the road.

Yes, as I replied to CG in this post, the coaches, if I understand right have one on one's with players once they have game tape. I mean I'm sure they do some with practice/scrimmage tape, but games are different animals. I cannot think where I saw that though.

heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014
I’m honestly surprised Cox’s Jersey wasn’t a few ragged strands of fabric by the end of the game. I counted 3 or 4 times some of our interior guys had their mark beat and get held on the way thru to the point they were taken to the ground and no yellow hanky was tossed.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
Great writer up truth , I met you and bunch of other chatterers at the peach bowl in 2018. Also I’m glad to see BMF is back !

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Great writer up truth , I met you and bunch of other chatterers at the peach bowl in 2018. Also I’m glad to see BMF is back !

That Peach Bowl meet up was a quick, but nice affair. I know pics are lurking on this board somewhere.

So I re-watched the defense portion of the game last night during the FSU game.

Something to watch is the cushion we were giving Utah. Many of their passing plays exploited it. If they weren’t rolling out (thus negating half or more of the pass rush), they were getting the ball out in 2 seconds or less. For perspective, in the 3rd quarter an unblocked Utah defender forced AR to throw an incompletion at the feet of Zip (I think). The unblocked defender took 2 seconds to get to AR unblocked.

My point is, things we did on the backside were not helping our DL by allowing Rising to throw quick passes to his first read. Also, some well designed Utah plays to create space early on the play they deserve credit for.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Great write up as usual @GatorTruth133

While I agree that the recruits in attendance had to love the atmosphere, I suspect they were more impressed by the fact several true freshmen were getting reps and at critical moments. Brings a lot of validation to what CBN is selling them.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
What about our defensive players dancing around up to the snap?

I wonder if this was because of being unsure/confused or if by design.

UT's up tempo will have great success against that.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
We head that the last three coaches. Let's hope it's actually true this time.
Oh I agree 100%.....I almost sense a bit of the "Bama game euphoria" around here after this game. I think UK may show us more of what were made of being a conference opponent who has better player scouting on us and such as well as being a physical conference foe.
If we see better tackling and better pass protection we'll have a better feel going forward not that we won't probably have a "meltdown" game at some point in the season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator