Truth Takes: From a Birmingham Hotel

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I don’t think Pitts is on the Mackey list.
He is on the list.
This is from Saturday Down South:
Here is a complete breakdown of all the players listed on the 2020 John Mackey Award preseason watch list.

SEC players
  • Kyle Pitts, Florida
  • Arik Gilbert, LSU
  • Tre McKitty, Georgia
  • Carl Tucker, Alabama
  • Justin Riggs, Kentucky
  • Kenny Yeboah, Ole Miss
  • Daniel Parker, Missouri
  • Jaylen Wydermyer, Texas A&M
  • Nick Muse, South Carolina

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Good write up Truth. I watched bits and pieces of every SEC team yesterday and the only team that looked great was Miss State - for being Miss State. Their D shut down LSU when they had to and played w/ a lot of fire. Leach obviously did what he does. I agree that Ole Miss was going to get their yards and make some plays - but it was just painful watching 600+ yards being put on us.

We won't see an offense anywhere near as complex as this all year. Missouri's O is interesting, and they played w/ heart vs. Alabama. UT & SC are typical grind it out offenses, but they do throw it a bit (surprisingly). Will UGA's O get it figured out by the time they play us? Probably, they have a pretty tough schedule before they play us. LSU looks like a shell of their 2019 team. UGA seems to be the biggest roadblock,

I agree. There shouldn’t ever be 600 yards on us. There were plenty of plays that good safety play could have prevented and plenty of plays that if we didn’t miss tackles it would have changed the drive. But I also want to acknowledge this wasn’t a Muschamp offense that we let explode.

Georgia will definitely be better. I think we will face several good offenses in Georgia, LSU (they threw for over 300 yesterday), possibly Mizzou and even Kentucky might improve (maybe not) this season. I just don’t think any of them will be on the same level. I think A&M is worse than predicted. Good news is we do have Carolina and then the next two weeks to try and work things out.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Corral: 22/31 for 395 yds, 3 TDs, and 1 INT. Credited with 51 yds on 13 rushes. Discount the sacks, and he scrambled for 81 yds on 9 rushes.
EJ: 1/3 for 30 yds and 1 INT. Rushed 4 times for 37 yds.

Tough choice.

Corral was a solid commit and recruiting like hell. When DM came in I don’t think he saw Corral as mobile enough for his scheme and went hard after EJ. If I remember correctly when Corral decommited soon after Jmar Chase did as well. As it turns out Trask makes up for Corral but keeping Chase would have been huge.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I agree. There shouldn’t ever be 600 yards on us. There were plenty of plays that good safety play could have prevented and plenty of plays that if we didn’t miss tackles it would have changed the drive. But I also want to acknowledge this wasn’t a Muschamp offense that we let explode.

Georgia will definitely be better. I think we will face several good offenses in Georgia, LSU (they threw for over 300 yesterday), possibly Mizzou and even Kentucky might improve (maybe not) this season. I just don’t think any of them will be on the same level. I think A&M is worse than predicted. Good news is we do have Carolina and then the next two weeks to try and work things out.

As long as Dumbo is the coach of any team, they will be worse than predicted. But I commend Dumbo for taking the 75 LARGE guaranteed. And as much as we complain and talk about the unwillingness of the admin to run a real football program, no argument that A&M is committed to TRYING to win. They spent a ZIL on facilities and on a coach who they thought was the guy. Even tho he is an a$$ clown, they were at least trying.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
As long as Dumbo is the coach of any team, they will be worse than predicted. But I commend Dumbo for taking the 75 LARGE guaranteed. And as much as we complain and talk about the unwillingness of the admin to run a real football program, no argument that A&M is committed to TRYING to win. They spent a ZIL on facilities and on a coach who they thought was the guy. Even tho he is an a$$ clown, they were at least trying.

Yep. Now imagine if we did the same. Look what we can do when we don’t.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Just rewatched every play (most a few times) focusing on just the offensive/defensive lines and LB's. So, I won't address some of the obvious stuff everyone else has already touched on regarding Pitts, Trask, Toney being a route runner, Davis looking explosive again, etc.

Here's what I saw in the trenches:

OFFENSIVE LINE

Heggie may not have missed a block. Absolutely great game.

Gouraige also had a fantastic game. Nearly all our big runs were to the left behind him and Stone.

Reese struggled all game long. He definitely made some good blocks, but overall a lot of missed blocks early and soft efforts in the running game. If the Reese/Delance combo doesn't improve, we will see a lot of adjustments to stack our left for the run and pass rush on our right. Not sure if there is a website that charts rushing yards vs side of the line, but this game was VERY unbalanced. I'm guessing over 7+ yards per carry to the L versus less than 3 to the R. To the extent runs to the left were not successful, it was frequently because Heggie & Gouraige blocked down, while Reese pulled and blocked no one.

The best play by the offensive line, with an assist from Pierce, was on the long Pitts TD. They had a safety blitz on the right side of the line outside the tackle (Delance). It started with Heggie, who passed the guy man up on him to Gouraige on the left, slid right to pick up the blitz side DT, the guard (Reese) slid right to get the DE, and Delance was confused, picking up no one (potential sack situation as he let the safety run outside him), but Pierce absolutely stoned the safety onto his a$$. The key to the play started with Heggie and Reese realizing they had to slide to help the blitz side. This play was also moronic by Durkin. It left man zero, with a LB manned up on Pitts. That guy had no chance.

Gamble had some good blocks in the run game, including on Davis' long 3rd quarter run, but also struggled in pass protection.

At least in this game, Pitts lined up as a true TE, or HB, not a WR like last year. He was in the TE/HB spot on his long TD pass and the TD pass he fought to win.

Ole Miss's DE's looked slow. Forsyth still seems slow in his back peddle and also completely missed the blitz pickup on the roughing play in the 4th. Gouraige was partly to blame for not recognizing a stunt early enough though. It was the only total Fuchs up by those two all game.

DEFENSIVE LINE AND LB's

Cox was the defensive player of the game in the first half. Not as effective after halftime, but we also rotated him out a lot more until the 4th when Ole Miss kept it too close. Still, 8 tackles, 2.5 TFL (including a sack) is a heck of a debut. Diabate played well in his role when given the chance, which was very little. Miller ultimately gets defensive player of the game, even though he had a number of missed plays and Cox really didn't. Side note - maybe in goalline D swap out Cox and Bogle at DEs? It didn't lead to the TD, but didn't help and makes no sense. I know we love this mid-field, but at least switch in goalline add some size.

I mentioned this is Cover's thread, but Burney just cannot get off a block. On Ole Miss's 2 play drive in the 3rd, he and Miller get absolutely stoned on Ole Miss's longish TD run. Little Reese gets manhandled at DE, but when he was at MLB, he slid, shed a block, and was more effective in limited action than our starter. He even looked ok in coverage on a back towards the end. Also, he is more likely to throw in a shoulder to prevent an extra yard at the end of a run, where Burney is often holding up. I came into last season expecting Burney to be dominant, in a Delpit or Delwin James mold. It hasn't happened and our coaches haven't helped him by putting him at MLB.

Dexter may be our best DT already. Very glad we are playing the freshman. Hope he plays more. Not sure why he barely did in the second half. As a freshman, he was never pushed backwards and was disruptive in pass and rush defense.

Slaton still seems to shoot gaps too much on running downs, giving up big lanes. That could be scheme though, so I can't tell if it is a flaw or sign of his speed off the snap. I suspect it is lack of discipline more than scheme though due to the number of times it is happening. He allows 1 lineman to block him by not holding any ground and always shooting gaps, which the linemen just use on runs to push him out of the way. On passing downs he demands a double team most plays. Dexter did too, unless Slaton was in. GD didn't play much in the second half. Hope he's ok.

Stiner played like a freshman, meaning slower than he really is because he is playing uncertain, which is awful when you are already on the slower side for an SEC safety. That is stunning for a guy with his experience.

McWilliams was listed as a starter, but was barely in afterwards. But when he was, he gave up a 40 yard pass.

OVERALL

I felt better about the OL, after rewatching each play, or at least the left side. If White can help improve, we could have a solid line (or Ole Miss has a bad DL). Pass defense against fast DE's is still going to be a real problem. But, the run blocking had better potential than I thought watching live.

DL just looked rough other than Cox and Dexter. Carter made a play or too, as did Slaton, but for the entire game, it is concerning. While Miller made a lot of plays, more frequently than not, he was getting pushed back on direct runs. Burney was made irrelevant on any runs between the tackles. We have real issues here at LB (I know, not exactly "news"). Lil' Reese looked good in limited action. Even Diabate looked ok. Having Slaton and Dexter demand double teams more on running downs would free up these athletic, but not so strong LB's to make plays, but we don't seem to take that approach. We could be looking at a few 200+ yard rushing games against us this year.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Little Reese gets manhandled at DE, but when he was at MLB, he slid, shed a block, and was more effective in limited action than our starter. He even looked ok in coverage on a back towards the end. Also, he is more likely to throw in a shoulder to prevent an extra yard at the end of a run, where Burney is often holding up. I came into last season expecting Burney to be dominant, in a Delpit or Delwin James mold. It hasn't happened and our coaches haven't helped him by putting him at MLB..
Burney's supposedly one of the fastest guys on the team. it's all about blitz and man coverage.

I'd love to see Reese back at linebacker. remember when Reese and Burney were the future at linebacker and we were going to convert them from safeties to bonecrushers?

I have no idea why they want a line Reese up at DE/Rushbacker especially when we already have eight other rushbackers.

Linebacker plays going to have to really improve. This Mushcawk game will really emphasize their weakness, Im afraid.

I did see Pitts playing outside as a wide receiver some. Their cornerbacks couldn't cover him either. Hell their cornerback with safety help could not cover him. it's a bunch easier to draw a place when your O's aee just a ton better than their X's.

This play was also moronic by Durkin. It left man zero, with a LB manned up on Pitts. That guy had no chance.
the irony is our moron plays Man Zero more often than not.

Last edited:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Just rewatched every play (most a few times) focusing on just the offensive/defensive lines and LB's. So, I won't address some of the obvious stuff everyone else has already touched on regarding Pitts, Trask, Toney being a route runner, Davis looking explosive again, etc.

OFFENSIVE LINE

Gouraige also had a fantastic game. Nearly all our big runs were to the left behind him and Stone.

Reese struggled all game long. He definitely made some good blocks, but overall a lot of missed blocks early and soft efforts in the running game. If the Reese/Delance combo doesn't improve, we will see a lot of adjustments to stack our left for the run and pass rush on our right. Not sure if there is a website that charts rushing yards vs side of the line, but this game was VERY unbalanced. I'm guessing over 7+ yards per carry to the L versus less than 3 to the R. To the extent runs to the left were not successful, it was frequently because Heggie & Gouraige blocked down, while Reese pulled and blocked no one.

The best play by the offensive line, with an assist from Pierce, was on the long Pitts TD. They had a safety blitz on the right side of the line outside the tackle (Delance). It started with Heggie, who passed the guy man up on him to Gouraige on the left, slid right to pick up the blitz side DT, the guard (Reese) slid right to get the DE, and Delance was confused, picking up no one (potential sack situation as he let the safety run outside him), but Pierce absolutely stoned the safety onto his a$$. The key to the play started with Heggie and Reese realizing they had to slide to help the blitz side. This play was also moronic by Durkin. It left man zero, with a LB manned up on Pitts. That guy had no chance.

Gamble had some good blocks in the run game, including on Davis' long 3rd quarter run, but also struggled in pass protection.

At least in this game, Pitts lined up as a true TE, or HB, not a WR like last year. He was in the TE/HB spot on his long TD pass and the TD pass he fought to win.

Ole Miss's DE's looked slow. Forsyth still seems slow in his back peddle and also completely missed the blitz pickup on the roughing play in the 4th. Gouraige was partly to blame for not recognizing a stunt early enough though. It was the only total Fuchs up by those two all game.

DEFENSIVE LINE AND LB's

Cox was the defensive player of the game in the first half. Not as effective after halftime, but we also rotated him out a lot more until the 4th when Ole Miss kept it too close. Still, 8 tackles, 2.5 TFL (including a sack) is a heck of a debut. Diabate played well in his role when given the chance, which was very little. Miller ultimately gets defensive player of the game, even though he had a number of missed plays and Cox really didn't. Side note - maybe in goalline D swap out Cox and Bogle at DEs? It didn't lead to the TD, but didn't help and makes no sense. I know we love this mid-field, but at least switch in goalline add some size.

I mentioned this is Cover's thread, but Burney just cannot get off a block. On Ole Miss's 2 play drive in the 3rd, he and Miller get absolutely stoned on Ole Miss's longish TD run. Little Reese gets manhandled at DE, but when he was at MLB, he slid, shed a block, and was more effective in limited action than our starter. He even looked ok in coverage on a back towards the end. Also, he is more likely to throw in a shoulder to prevent an extra yard at the end of a run, where Burney is often holding up. I came into last season expecting Burney to be dominant, in a Delpit or Delwin James mold. It hasn't happened and our coaches haven't helped him by putting him at MLB.

Dexter may be our best DT already. Very glad we are playing the freshman. Hope he plays more. Not sure why he barely did in the second half. As a freshman, he was never pushed backwards and was disruptive in pass and rush defense.

Slaton still seems to shoot gaps too much on running downs, giving up big lanes. That could be scheme though, so I can't tell if it is a flaw or sign of his speed off the snap. I suspect it is lack of discipline more than scheme though due to the number of times it is happening. He allows 1 lineman to block him by not holding any ground and always shooting gaps, which the linemen just use on runs to push him out of the way. On passing downs he demands a double team most plays. Dexter did too, unless Slaton was in. GD didn't play much in the second half. Hope he's ok.

Stiner played like a freshman, meaning slower than he really is because he is playing uncertain, which is awful when you are already on the slower side for an SEC safety. That is stunning for a guy with his experience.

McWilliams was listed as a starter, but was barely in afterwards. But when he was, he gave up a 40 yard pass.

OVERALL

I felt better about the OL, after rewatching each play, or at least the left side. If White can help improve, we could have a solid line (or Ole Miss has a bad DL). Pass defense against fast DE's is still going to be a real problem. But, the run blocking had better potential than I thought watching live.

DL just looked rough other than Cox and Dexter. Carter made a play or too, as did Slaton, but for the entire game, it is concerning. While Miller made a lot of plays, more frequently than not, he was getting pushed back on direct runs. Burney was made irrelevant on any runs between the tackles. We have real issues here at LB (I know, not exactly "news"). Lil' Reese looked good in limited action. Even Diabate looked ok. Having Slaton and Dexter demand double teams more on running downs would free up these athletic, but not so strong LB's to make plays, but we don't seem to take that approach. We could be looking at a few 200+ yard rushing games against us this year.

I’ve been reading that Reese is really slow on pulling which required the RBs to really slow down and be patient. Any runs to his side were slow developing.

As for Burney, he is just not good enough. I think Diabate starts within 2 weeks.

did you see Wingo get any PT?

Wilson played really soft. Like he was scared of contact.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
I’ve been reading that Reese is really slow on pulling which required the RBs to really slow down and be patient. Any runs to his side were slow developing.

As for Burney, he is just not good enough. I think Diabate starts within 2 weeks.

did you see Wingo get any PT?

Wingo didn't make the trip. I will say this on the slowing of the running backs, sometimes they need that. Look at a lot of tape the last two years, even our best backs would just try and slam a hole into the back of a lineman, where if they had just a little more patience (and you can see as they hit the lineman), a hole would be opening up. Now, that wasn't constant holes, but sometimes patience pays off. Now, I would love to see him get across faster, just trying to point out sometimes patience can help (but again, I wouldn't even say it is a general rule, just an observation on what I've seen Gators RB's do).

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Expected a lot of this, without a lot of padded practices, you have to get used to hitting again. That first game and that first big hit is needed to mentally and physically set the mindset. But before that a bunch of guys are gonna be gun shy.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Wingo didn't make the trip. I will say this on the slowing of the running backs, sometimes they need that. Look at a lot of tape the last two years, even our best backs would just try and slam a hole into the back of a lineman, where if they had just a little more patience (and you can see as they hit the lineman), a hole would be opening up. Now, that wasn't constant holes, but sometimes patience pays off. Now, I would love to see him get across faster, just trying to point out sometimes patience can help (but again, I wouldn't even say it is a general rule, just an observation on what I've seen Gators RB's do).

what made backs like Emmitt great was the right amount of patience to let the line do it's job. We have had a number of battering rams, that lacked patience and vision in the last decade.

Last edited:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Have you seen any word on why Wingo didn’t travel?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I haven't seen it. I just had seen De La Torre make the note on twitter pregame. Curious to what is going on myself.
It would just be perfect if we lost the only fvkking inside LB we remembered to recruit in three classes.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

OFFENSIVE LINE

DEFENSIVE LINE AND LB's

OVERALL

Good Stuff 14, this should be it's own post/thread.

Reese pulling is almost comical. I laughed at one of his plays and said to my buddy, "WTF is he doing? It's like slow motion!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator