Tuesday Favorites…. Appetizer

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
After several days to ponder this, I’d have to go with some good oysters Rockefeller. Not much on this planet is better.
Why ruin oysters by cooking them. There is a place in Metairie on the way to the airport (Harbor Seafood or something like that, just north of the I-10) that serves fresh shucked oysters. They were the sweetest, freshest mollusks I have ever eaten. Now I am not a purest, I don't slurp them whole out of the shell. Put 'em on a good saltine cracker with some horseradish and cocktail sauce and chew the things. You're not in a eating contest.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Why ruin oysters by cooking them. There is a place in Metairie on the way to the airport (Harbor Seafood or something like that, just north of the I-10) that serves fresh shucked oysters. They were the sweetest, freshest mollusks I have ever eaten. Now I am not a purest, I don't slurp them whole out of the shell. Put 'em on a good saltine cracker with some horseradish and cocktail sauce and chew the things. You're not in a eating contest.
I love ‘em raw, but really good Rockefeller is tough to beat.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
I love ‘em raw, but really good Rockefeller is tough to beat.
I don't know that I have ever actually had them. Another place in Metairie grills them with garlic butter (help me here NOLA) and they are good. But really rich, you can only eat a couple of dozen as appetizers.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know that I have ever actually had them. Another place in Metairie grills them with garlic butter (help me here NOLA) and they are good. But really rich, you can only eat a couple of dozen as appetizers.
Harry’s in St. Augustine has the best I’ve found so far around Jax. Numerous spots around Atlanta had really good ones. Most places overcook them and/or put cheap ingredients on them.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
The place you’re thinking of is probably Drago’s. And they are incredible. It’s garlic butter and Parmesan cheese. I was in there one night with a colleague who is friends with the owner who sat with us for a bit. When I told him how much I liked the oysters he remarked that he thinks the butter and cheese is so good that if you topped a grilled flip flop with it, it would taste good.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The place you’re thinking of is probably Drago’s. And they are incredible. It’s garlic butter and Parmesan cheese. I was in there one night with a colleague who is friends with the owner who sat with us for a bit. When I told him how much I liked the oysters he remarked that he thinks the butter and cheese is so good that if you topped a grilled flip flop with it, it would taste good.
That’s basically Rockefeller style. I like to add spinach and a small amount of breads crumbs, as well. Delicious!

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My list would be calamari(preferably grilled but fried is fine) burrata with roasted red peppers, and crab cakes. That order.

Bruschetta Burrata is probably my favorite. Oysters are great too though

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Fried Pepper Jack Cheese Balls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays