Tuesday Favorites….military strategist and tactician

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
In your opinion who was the best military strategist?

The best tactician?

Was there someone who encompassed both qualities equally?

I’ll hang up and watch you debate it out.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
Hannibal is a classic example of "both" from antiquity; same with Alexander the Great.

In more modern times, it's been a bit more rare to have a brilliant tactician be an elite strategist. Mostly because the era of professional militaries have divided the two and there's less movement been the tactical to strategic during wartime itself.

The Civil War was the last big conflict where there was significant overlap between both (and several examples on each side where one could make that argument); but for a 20th Century example, I've always stuck by Giap as being the "best" example of both. And he's also a rare commodity in having been part of significant conflict across three decades of his career.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Hannibal is a classic example of "both" from antiquity; same with Alexander the Great.

In more modern times, it's been a bit more rare to have a brilliant tactician be an elite strategist. Mostly because the era of professional militaries have divided the two and there's less movement been the tactical to strategic during wartime itself.

The Civil War was the last big conflict where there was significant overlap between both (and several examples on each side where one could make that argument); but for a 20th Century example, I've always stuck by Giap as being the "best" example of both. And he's also a rare commodity in having been part of significant conflict across three decades of his career.
Good post...

I was thinking about it before posting. Hannibal will always be my "old time" favorite... I think I first started reading about him in 3rd or 4th Grade. The "modern" pick was the one I was struggling with because of that tactical/operational/strategic split you mentioned, but I think you nailed it with Giap... prior to reading you post that, von Manstein was my modern pick, but was struggling with it for the reason you stated.

Also, I don't care what anyone says, Grant still gets hosed in this department and is highly underrated.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
De Ruyter is probably the best Admiral who was both a brilliant naval tactician (repeatedly beating the English, French, Swedes, and at least once the English and French together) and strategist.

All his opponents honored him with titles.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018

Has to be mentioned--though Quintus Fabius Maximus did his part too.

There's nothing like human conflict to bring out the best in human ingenuity. Moves require countermeasures and countermoves, etc.

It's why it's so hard to be both a great battlefield tactician and strategist when the other side gets wise to your standard operating procedures and adjusts.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
Has to be mentioned--though Quintus Fabius Maximus did his part too.

There's nothing like human conflict to bring out the best in human ingenuity. Moves require countermeasures and countermoves, etc.

It's why it's so hard to be both a great battlefield tactician and strategist when the other side gets wise to your standard operating procedures and adjusts.
One who adjusted on the fly anticipating his opponents moves was Caesar. More than 2000 years ago he used advanced teams, scouts, feints, encircling maneuvers, strategic withdrawals, used intel and shook down prisoners.
1710888285286.png

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
James Van Fleet was a great battlefield commander. He was not skilled in the art of military politics however, and he was passed over for promotions in favor of others because he didn't believe in self-promotion.
1710890449658.png
Here he is as UF football coach, and held a dual role as professor of military science at UF.
1710890529547.png
The last of the Van Fleet clan passed away in the early 2000s and a couple of antique dealers bought the estate. In their Winter Haven shop I found the plaque (signed by JVF) given by Gator Boosters, Inc to his last survivor--a niece--to commemorate his service to the University. It formerly hung in the "Will to Win" area at Florida Field and was given to the niece when a larger portrait was installed there. I bought it and donated it to UF ROTC in 2017. They were happy to have it back home at UF. James Van Fleet was a life-long Gator fan, retired for many years to a ranch north of Polk City and lived to be 100 yrs old.
1710891019532.png 1710891077964.png

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Strategist: Robert E. Lee. No one else is even close. Tactician: Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson. However, I do think George Patton understood the genesis of modern mechanized war and applied those concepts as well as anyone on in the 20th century. (Is Van Fleet Hall still the ROTC building?)

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
Lee lost the war and several battles in it. That's hardly the mark of "best of all time."

Especially when there's several examples of military strategists who never lost a battle or a war.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator