Tuesday Favorites…store from long ago

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Not that long ago but Maas Bros fell apart sometime in the 80s.

Maas was the first to come to mind. Not that I particularly enjoyed it, but my Grandma always went there and took me.

I remember the S&H Greenstamp store, and the weeks of buildup until my parents took me there and I got my first ever am(fm?) alarm clock. Listened to Spanish radio late at night coming in from somewhere south (Miami? Cuba? Idunno).

Eckard's was THE drug store, long before anyone else got on the scene.

I remember lots of things related to the Oaks mall, starting when the first foundations were poured, then it grew, and grew, and grew. So many stores turned over in my time there.

As a youth, video game arcades were more my thing than stores to buy stuff. I remember Tin Pan Alley across from UF, as well as Blue Chip Gaming next to Albertson's.

First real theater was the Center Theater on 6th or 13th st, later torn down and has some office supply store on that footprint. I remember going there every summer for free movies for the kids, and I saw King Kong in 1976 there...and went to the bathroom only to come out and find they'd pulled the names off the theater rooms so I wandered into the wrong door. I was mesmerized in the doorway watching some horror film with a country redneck witch telepathically throwing knives and pegging someone to the wall until the point an usher showed up and hauled me to the correct theater.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Pic n Save. Before Target there was Pic N Save.
And Goodings in Orlando. Great upscale grocery store.
Eckerd Drugs.
Lum's - Loved their subs. And their cokes were extra good. And their chips.

When SOS came to UF as head coach in 1990, his game day wardrobe was sponsored by Pic n Save.

Alex.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone remember a store called Zaires? It was sort of like a Kmart. My mom would take us in there occasionally.

And who can forget the grocery store Piggly wiggly. They still have some around though not many anymore. But would you believe there also used to be a Hoggly Woggly? Pretty sure the last one of those closed decades ago but they existed.

It was Zayre or Zayer’s.

I remember Piggly Wiggly, A&P, and Pantry Pride. Publix buried them all.

Alex.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
It was Zayre or Zayer’s.

Alex.
ah yes, pantry pride! Completely forgot about that despite the fact it was the only place my mom shopped until I was about 6 years old. Spent many an afternoon riding in a shopping cart down the aisles of pantry pride.

Couldn't remember how it was spelled but Zayres looks right when spelled out.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
It was Zayre or Zayer’s.

Alex.
Piggly wiggly still has close to 20 stores in Florida. (Of course that’s how many Publix there are, or more, in the smaller counties in Florida.)

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Anyone still have an IGA? We have one in a small town nearby. The same man has owned it for 50 years. Not sure the store has ever been renovated but it’s the only grocery store in town. He’s a local legend.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I forgot about that

I wish I could. :facepalm:

gv_Steve_Spurrier_1990-696x456.jpg

Alex.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone still have an IGA? We have one in a small town nearby. The same man has owned it for 50 years. Not sure the store has ever been renovated but it’s the only grocery store in town. He’s a local legend.
There are still some IGAs out there. There's one in my grandmothers town in Indiana. We have one about 50 minutes away in a little town called wewahitchka as well.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Ahh yes, Wewa. I picked up some Tupelo honey the last time we drove through there.
my wife's parents were from there. Alot of her extended family still lives there. It's a quaint little town. The tupelo and boiled peanuts are worth the treck over that way.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
my wife's parents were from there. Alot of her extended family still lives there. It's a quaint little town. The tupelo and boiled peanuts are worth the treck over that way.

Mmmm, boiled peanuts! My family is not too fond of them. Guess it's a southern thing, like grits.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Mmmm, boiled peanuts! My family is not too fond of them. Guess it's a southern thing, like grits.
Used to love those until I got a batch that gave me bad food poisoning. Taught me a lesson when I was younger about being smarter about what I bought off the side of the road.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Used to love those until I got a batch that gave me bad food poisoning. Taught me a lesson when I was younger about being smarter about what I bought off the side of the road.

I’ve been gone from southern Ga/N FL long time now but it occurred to me a few years ago that they probably never change the water out of the pots that they boil the peanuts in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.