Tuesday Favorites...How did you meet your spouse/SO?

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
In the last 10 years dating apps have risen in popularity and I know several people who married someone they met online. It could have saved some people a lot of headaches if they could have swiped right past some people. (Or is it swipe left?)

How did you meet your spouse or SO?

Last edited:

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
At a previous job. She was married to an abusive *******. I always said to my friends if she’d ever wise up and leave his ass, I’d take her out to dinner and show her how a lady is supposed to be treated. The rest, 25+ years later after that first date, they say is history.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I worked at a copper tubing manufacturing plant right out of high school. After a while there was another guy they hired to work in shipping. He and I got to be friends and he would tell me about his niece. He was at the same time, telling her about this great guy he worked with. She eventually went out on a date with said "great guy" and on the first date he told her that he wanted her to have his mother's first grand child. She dumped him. My co-worker asked me on a Tuesday or Wednesday to be Best Man at his wedding the coming Saturday. I agreed and went on Friday to the rehearsal where I saw his niece. Good looking redhead. At the wedding the next day I had planned to ask her out and when I did, she said yes. So after the wedding she caught the bouquet and I wound up catching the garter. Then, I drove over to her house to change clothes and since I had forgotten to bring a belt I had to ask to borrow one from her dad. It was too large but I wore it anyways. Next week, on Thursday, 9/7, we will celebrate our 38th anniversary.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
  • We went to HS together, knew who each other were, but didn't really talk until senior year when she was best friends with someone I was very interested in.
  • Fall of senior year, talked to her at a basement party after a football game for about 2 hours. I was also hospitalized that fall, and after I was released, ended up hanging out with her and her best friend, who I was rapidly losing interest in, by accident (or maybe not) a couple of times.
  • March of senior year, spent about every free minute I had hanging out with her the weekend of the Michigan HS state wrestling championships at Grand Valley State Univ. This was a BIG event for HS kids in Michigan (whether you liked wrestling or not). It was over 3-4 days and like a mini-spring break where thousands of kids with a Great Lake's worth of alcohol would pile into hotels for that weekend... This is also where my "AITAhole" story comes from.
  • The next week, asked her out on a date to go see Vision Quest. When I got to her house, her Dad was straight up the Dad in every teen movie ever, especially Clueless... while waiting for her, we basically sat wordlessly in the living room with him staring at me menacingly (I later came to realize that that was "Happy Ron normal face"). She said she wasn't feeling well, but we went anyway. Had she cancelled the date, that probably would've been the end of it.
  • We went to the movie.
  • Inseparable from that night through graduation. Our friends hated us. Total abandonment of all of them.
  • Three days after graduation, she was off to UF. I cried. YEAH I SAID IT!!!
  • Two weeks after that, I was off to Ft. Knox.
  • I was supposed to go to Ft Hood, TX. Our master plan was that she was going to transfer from UF to UT. My orders got changed to Germany. We altered the master plan.
  • I finished OSUT in October and flew to Gainesville. We eloped in Gainesville the weekend of the UF-VT football game.
  • I flew off to Germany, she flew over after she finished the Fall semester at UF.
  • October will be 38 years.
  • Crazy for You by Madonna is still our song (Vision Quest tie back).

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
  • We went to HS together, knew who each other were, but didn't really talk until senior year when she was best friends with someone I was very interested in.
  • Fall of senior year, talked to her at a basement party after a football game for about 2 hours. I was also hospitalized that fall, and after I was released, ended up hanging out with her and her best friend, who I was rapidly losing interest in, by accident (or maybe not) a couple of times.
  • March of senior year, spent about every free minute I had hanging out with her the weekend of the Michigan HS state wrestling championships at Grand Valley State Univ. This was a BIG event for HS kids in Michigan (whether you liked wrestling or not). It was over 3-4 days and like a mini-spring break where thousands of kids with a Great Lake's worth of alcohol would pile into hotels for that weekend... This is also where my "AITAhole" story comes from.
  • The next week, asked her out on a date to go see Vision Quest. When I got to her house, her Dad was straight up the Dad in every teen movie ever, especially Clueless... while waiting for her, we basically sat wordlessly in the living room with him staring at me menacingly (I later came to realize that that was "Happy Ron normal face"). She said she wasn't feeling well, but we went anyway. Had she cancelled the date, that probably would've been the end of it.
  • We went to the movie.
  • Inseparable from that night through graduation. Our friends hated us. Total abandonment of all of them.
  • Three days after graduation, she was off to UF. I cried. YEAH I SAID IT!!!
  • Two weeks after that, I was off to Ft. Knox.
  • I was supposed to go to Ft Hood, TX. Our master plan was that she was going to transfer from UF to UT. My orders got changed to Germany. We altered the master plan.
  • I finished OSUT in October and flew to Gainesville. We eloped in Gainesville the weekend of the UF-VT football game.
  • I flew off to Germany, she flew over after she finished the Fall semester at UF.
  • October will be 38 years.
  • Crazy for You by Madonna is still our song (Vision Quest tie back).

“HS” would have sufficed

:stickpoke:

Good story

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
ron burgundy GIF

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Was recently divorced from a skank that took off with some scumbag while I was deployed for OIF. 3 years removed from that debacle I was reading a weekly blog from a little known (at the time) website called outkickthecoverage.com. it was a Friday meaning it was weekly mailbag addition day. Clay Travis was asked a question by someone new to Nashville about where to go and how to meet women in the area. He gave a few location suggestions but also mentioned a brand new app still in somewhat of a beta cycle. The app was called tinder and he recommended it due to its ability to set a location and search radius.

That afternoon I downloaded it, added 1 pic, a profile that read "God, guns, and beer, not necessarily in that order." Hit save, set my radius and swiped right on a few females. 2 days later I got a notification of a mutual swipe right and the conversation began. 2 days after that we spoke on the phone for 3 hours. 1 day later we had our first date, closing the restaurant without realizing it until the bussers told us we had to leave. The next morning I flew to Japan for a month and we texted and skyped regularly. I got home, she came over, I made dinner and that was that. 2 months later we were engaged. 3 months later we were married. 9+ years later we have 2 amazing kids and she's still an absolute dime. God is good.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Was recently divorced from a skank that took off with some scumbag while I was deployed for OIF. 3 years removed from that debacle I was reading a weekly blog from a little known (at the time) website called outkickthecoverage.com. it was a Friday meaning it was weekly mailbag addition day. Clay Travis was asked a question by someone new to Nashville about where to go and how to meet women in the area. He gave a few location suggestions but also mentioned a brand new app still in somewhat of a beta cycle. The app was called tinder and he recommended it due to its ability to set a location and search radius.

That afternoon I downloaded it, added 1 pic, a profile that read "God, guns, and beer, not necessarily in that order." Hit save, set my radius and swiped right on a few females. 2 days later I got a notification of a mutual swipe right and the conversation began. 2 days after that we spoke on the phone for 3 hours. 1 day later we had our first date, closing the restaurant without realizing it until the bussers told us we had to leave. The next morning I flew to Japan for a month and we texted and skyped regularly. I got home, she came over, I made dinner and that was that. 2 months later we were engaged. 3 months later we were married. 9+ years later we have 2 amazing kids and she's still an absolute dime. God is good.
Wow, that sounds just like a Hallmark movie... :popcorn:

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Church. 16 years married before it ended. At least I got three awesome daughters out of it.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
We met online on Hinge.
But it wasn't entirely straightforward.

We matched and had talked for a week...then she deleted her profile. I had somewhat assumed she'd matched with and went exclusive with someone else; but there was something telling me otherwise. Ended up messaging her on FB and saying "hey, disregard if you've found someone or are otherwise creeped out, but thought we had a connection and--well, shoot your shot?"

She messaged me back saying she was still single, but was over online dating and had deleted it in frustration after a bad date. She thought it was cute I'd pursued her anyway and we made plans to meet for dinner that Sunday evening.

8 amazing months later and we just bought season tickets to FL football. She's an amazing woman: brains and beauty in one package (Gator undergrad and UVA for med school--and an absolute smokeshow).

You guys will probably like this--when I was teasing her in front of mutual friends about deleting her Hinge profile after we had a solid week of talking, she confessed to "well, we did have great conversations and I was attracted...but he's also a lawyer and I was a bit unsure if he'd like to argue 'too much.'"

They laughed. I laughed.
I'm sure y'all will chuckle too...

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Met mine at Tech Data in Clearwater (Largo).
She was a manager at the time and it was forbidden to date within the same sales department so… I switched to the education/technical department.

Just celebrated 30 years this past May.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator