Tuesday Favorites.... Ice Cream

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
I love the two I showed before, but Talenti is really good (but gelato) and I really like some of the frozen custard you get at some of the local joints up in Wisconsin.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Then I have to ask an important and obvious question:
Why are you mouthbreathers posting gelato examples in a thread that clearly states ‘Ice Cream’.

Second question- what’s the difference between gelato and ice cream?

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Well first of all its gelato, and second the kind I posted is layered with all kinds of stuff. I think its salty caramel gelato on top, then a layer of cookie crumbs, then a layer of actual caramel, then a layer of vanilla, then a layer of chocolate covered caramel nuggets. It'll damn near kill you.
Homer Simpson Drool GIF

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Well first of all its gelato, and second the kind I posted is layered with all kinds of stuff. I think its salty caramel gelato on top, then a layer of cookie crumbs, then a layer of actual caramel, then a layer of vanilla, then a layer of chocolate covered caramel nuggets. It'll damn near kill you.
But you'll die with a smile on your face!

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Handels has awesome product. Lean toward the coconut cream pie or lemon bar flavors.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
But you'll die with a smile on your face!
This gelato is now on my grocery list but I'll have to hide it from the family. I can't shake it since I looked it up last night. :lol:
$7 for a pint is steep for store bought ice cream but it sounds worth it.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
My son told me Talenti is probably the best ice cream he’s ever had. Gotta pick up some

It’s great. Although ironically I’m not a huge fan of their coffee flavor. The mint is great. Haven’t tried Zambo’s recommendation But yeah it’s worth picking up. Plus you get a very practical reusable plastic container with screw on lid. I don’t want to sound critical of other brands and their collapsing containers, leaking all over the counter—equally great in their own right—but it’s a nice change.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
This gelato is now on my grocery list but I'll have to hide it from the family. I can't shake it since I looked it up last night. :lol:
$7 for a pint is steep for store bought ice cream but it sounds worth it.

It's like this...we spend lots of time, money, and energy perfecting things like nuclear subs, space satellites, and cat memes. The Italians don't do any of that. They focus on perfecting things like coffee and gelato.

iu

Gelato in Italy is sublime. If you're ever in Italy, gelatarias are ubiquitous and the quality ranges from fantastic to phenomenal to foodgasm. I don't even love pistachios, but pistachio gelato on a hot day in Rome is like heaven. If anybody tells me they're going to Italy I say "I have two words for you and you just have to trust me--pistachio gelato." Upon their return I invariably get thanked.

I've had the Talenti and it's good as far as gelato in America goes but it ain't the same.

My favorite flavors are coffee, nutella, chocolate, and pistachio but they're all good.

Edit: There's a Disney property shopping district called "Disney Springs" that's part of Disney World in Orlando. It's open to the public, you don't need to pay park admission or anything like that. So there's this Italian family that owns a famous gelateria in Florence, Italy. They have a storefront in Disney Springs and (allegedly) all the equipment for making the gelato was imported from Italy and they use their family recipes. I'm assuming the milk comes from American cows though. If you're ever in the Central Florida area, it's cheaper than a flight to Italy.

Alex.

Last edited:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
It's like this...we spend lots of time, money, and energy perfecting things like nuclear subs, space satellites, and cat memes. The Italians don't do any of that. They focus on perfecting things like coffee and gelato.

iu

Gelato in Italy is sublime. If you're ever in Italy, gelatarias are ubiquitous and the quality ranges from fantastic to phenomenal to foodgasm. I don't even love pistachios, but pistachio gelato on a hot day in Rome is like heaven. If anybody tells me they're going to Italy I say "I have two words for you and you just have to trust me--pistachio gelato." Upon their return I invariably get thanked.

I've had the Talenti and it's good as far as gelato in America goes but it ain't the same.

My favorite flavors are coffee, nutella, chocolate, and pistachio but they're all good.

Alex.

Soooo.... (it's always great to start off a story with "So") There I was as an 18 year old walking around the streets of Florence minding my own business when I find 100,000 Lire on the ground. It might sound like a lot of money but it was probably $100 USD at the time. My friends and I had the good fortune to buy a lot of Gelato with it and yes, it was amazing. I wish you would have mentioned the pistachio many years ago. It would have been helpful and I might have considered trying it.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018

iu

Alex.
I was in Italy this summer and you are absolutely correct about the gelato; it was amazing. I didn’t try the Nutella, but now I’m regretting that decision. Guess I’ll have to go back.

The best we had was in Assisi. Truly phenomenal. It took all of my willpower to not get myself a second cup.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Soooo.... (it's always great to start off a story with "So") There I was as an 18 year old walking around the streets of Florence minding my own business when I find 100,000 Lire on the ground. It might sound like a lot of money but it was probably $100 USD at the time. My friends and I had the good fortune to buy a lot of Gelato with it and yes, it was amazing. I wish you would have mentioned the pistachio many years ago. It would have been helpful and I might have considered trying it.

Tiramisu is a common flavor and fantastic. I wasn't as keen on the fruit flavors but there was a white one with dark, tart cherries in syrup mixed in that was good (and the cantaloupe was good). I wouldn't even try the licorice flavor one on a dare. No thanks. I'm good.

Alex.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Tiramisu is a common flavor and fantastic. I wasn't as keen on the fruit flavors but there was a white one with dark, tart cherries in syrup mixed in that was good (and the cantaloupe was good). I wouldn't even try the licorice flavor one on a dare. No thanks. I'm good.

Alex.
I would choose the fruit flavors first every time, unless there's caramel involved like the one Zambo posted.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I was in Italy this summer and you are absolutely correct about the gelato; it was amazing. I didn’t try the Nutella, but now I’m regretting that decision. Guess I’ll have to go back.

The best we had was in Assisi. Truly phenomenal. It took all of my willpower to not get myself a second cup.

They don't call it "nutella" but that's the flavor. They call it hazelnut and chocolate.

Treat yourself. With all the walking you are doing seeing the sights, you deserve that second cup. You're burning it all off. My eating motto in Italy was "no carb left behind" and I actually lost weight on that vacation. Shocking.

Alex.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
They don't call it "nutella" but that's the flavor. They call it hazelnut and chocolate.

Treat yourself. With all the walking you are doing seeing the sights, you deserve that second cup. You're burning it all off. My eating motto in Italy was "no carb left behind" and I actually lost weight on that vacation. Shocking.

Alex.
I was more than making up for it at dinner. But your advice is well taken. And we did do a ton of walking.

Damn, now I’m jonesing for some gelato!

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
…and while on the subject of ice cream @CDGator , have you been back to Tallahassee and tried the Culver’s they’ve put in by the old Tallahassee Mall about a year ago? The missus and I used to haunt the Baskin-Robbins off of Thomasville road when we were dating and then young married, but Culver’s is our guilty pleasure stop these days when we want ice cream. Custard-based in a ton of flavors, but chocolate is the best. Never heard of Culver’s until my wife and a couple of cousins took my daughter on a trip out west for graduation and came back raving about Culver’s ice cream.

There’s not much about Tallahassee that appeals to me these days, but Culver’s is a bright spot. We’re not huge fast food eaters and for the longest if we just wanted a hamburger, Five Guys or Whataburger were the top picks, but dang if I don’t believe Culver’s Butter Burger has got them both beat.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
…and while on the subject of ice cream @CDGator , have you been back to Tallahassee and tried the Culver’s they’ve put in by the old Tallahassee Mall about a year ago? The missus and I used to haunt the Baskin-Robbins off of Thomasville road when we were dating and then young married, but Culver’s is our guilty pleasure stop these days when we want ice cream. Custard-based in a ton of flavors, but chocolate is the best. Never heard of Culver’s until my wife and a couple of cousins took my daughter on a trip out west for graduation and came back raving about Culver’s ice cream.

There’s not much about Tallahassee that appeals to me these days, but Culver’s is a bright spot. We’re not huge fast food eaters and for the longest if we just wanted a hamburger, Five Guys or Whataburger were the top picks, but dang if I don’t believe Culver’s Butter Burger has got them both beat.

I haven't been to the Culver's in Tally but we have several here in Lex. Never tried the custard but the butter buns are good, however I'll take a Whataburger any day over the rest! Mostly because we don't have them around here. I did try In-N-Out burger in Vegas and it was good.

That particular Baskin Robbins brings back fond memories as a kid, especially the location on the corner watching all the cars go by. Isn't it closed now? We drove by it this summer. We used to go as a family and then when my parents got divorced it was a special treat for just me and my mom together.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I haven't been to the Culver's in Tally but we have several here in Lex. Never tried the custard but the butter buns are good, however I'll take a Whataburger any day over the rest! Mostly because we don't have them around here. I did try In-N-Out burger in Vegas and it was good.

That particular Baskin Robbins brings back fond memories as a kid, especially the location on the corner watching all the cars go by. Isn't it closed now? We drove by it this summer. We used to go as a family and then when my parents got divorced it was a special treat for just me and my mom together.
I believe that BR has been closed for some time now. We would take the kids by there occasionally when they were little and they’re both early - mid 20’s now. Daughter used to get the cookie dough. One place in Tally that we never tried was the Cold Stone place. Always wondered how their ice cream measured up. Seems like there was one in the Mall itself near the cinemas.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017

If you like the frozen custard from Culver's, and I do too (their burgers can't hold Whataburger's jock), you really should get to the Milwaukee area and hit up some of the local joints up there. They are fantastic. BTW, Culver's is a Wisconsin chain. They took the burger and frozen custard joint national and did it pretty well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.