Tuesday Favorites....Western/Cowboy flix

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Also, I know there’s some dissent on this, especially from Douglas, but Tombstone is complete garbage. Kilmer carries the whole thing with a great character, but KR, Paxton and even Elliott are just cringeworthy throughout. It’s an abortion of a movie that should’ve never been filmed.

I understand you prefer the Costner's Dance with Wolves and Wyatt Earp biopic more... and that's ok...

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I understand you prefer the Costner's Dance with Wolves and Wyatt Earp biopic more... and that's ok...

I’ll repeat what I’ve said before. Tombstone is probably the best western movie of the 1990s. But that’s only because Lonesome Dove was considered a miniseries and Toy Story is a cartoon.

Also DWW is ridiculously boring with an ugly woman as the love interest. Plus Costner? No thanks.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
I’ll repeat what I’ve said before. Tombstone is probably the best western movie of the 1990s. But that’s only because Lonesome Dove was considered a miniseries and Toy Story is a cartoon.

Also DWW is ridiculously boring with an ugly woman as the love interest. Plus Costner? No thanks.

All jokes aside, I hear what you're saying about the Earp actors not being the best part about the movie--their dialog and acting was wooden at best, trite at worst.

That said, Kilmer and Powers Boothe were absolute legends in that movie and it more than makes up for it.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
You're just mad because Billy Zane's thespian character died.

Despite his looks and charm, outside of Zoolander, Zane’s characters do seem to have trouble getting the girl. Of course, in Titanic he did also narrowly avoid getting syphilis as well. So there’s that.

Last edited:

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
Despite his looks and charm, outside of Zoolander, Zane’s characters do seem to have trouble getting the girl. Of course, in Titanic he did also narrowly avoid getting syphilis as well. So there’s that.

Pretty sure Zane's Tombstone character was gay.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Pretty sure Zane's Tombstone character was gay.

Oh. I’m not sure I’ve even been able to sit through the whole thing so I must’ve missed that. Thought he was the guy KR pulled the woman away from. Is that someone else?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
All jokes aside, I hear what you're saying about the Earp actors not being the best part about the movie--their dialog and acting was wooden at best, trite at worst.

That said, Kilmer and Powers Boothe were absolute legends in that movie and it more than makes up for it.
Agreed, the only reason to watch is the acting of those two. Kurt Russell and Sam Elliot were just Kurt Russell and Sam Elliot. Michael Biehn was decent along with Billy Bob Thornton. Billy Zane did some his best acting outside of the Phantom (which is a Sofla favorite too).

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
You're just mad because Billy Zane's thespian character died.
117ebf1a-18cf-4ae6-a8c4-3258d520fda9_text.gif

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
To me, miniseries or not, Lonesome Dove is the best. The cast is tough to beat and the storyline is incredible.

I like the Eastwood movies, but I don’t know a particular one I’d say stands above the others. How The West Was Won and Man From Snowy River are both great. I’ve only seen Wayne movies in passing so can’t be a judge of them, though I’m sure they classics for a reason.

Also, I know there’s some dissent on this, especially from Douglas, but Tombstone is complete garbage. Kilmer carries the whole thing with a great character, but KR, Paxton and even Elliott are just cringeworthy throughout. It’s an abortion of a movie that should’ve never been filmed.
1705616108084.gif

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
To me, miniseries or not, Lonesome Dove is the best. The cast is tough to beat and the storyline is incredible.

I like the Eastwood movies, but I don’t know a particular one I’d say stands above the others. How The West Was Won and Man From Snowy River are both great. I’ve only seen Wayne movies in passing so can’t be a judge of them, though I’m sure they classics for a reason.

It’s a bit dated now (and b/w) but a great movie about the gunfight at the OK corral is My Darling Clementine.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
…Tombstone is complete garbage. Kilmer carries the whole thing with a great character, but KR, Paxton and even Elliott are just cringeworthy throughout. It’s an abortion of a movie that should’ve never been filmed.

Youre Dead To Me GIF by Power Book IV: Force

Alex.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Waiting for Sofla to skin that smoke wagon... or possibly just stand there and bleed.
I think the “nerve rackin’ SOB’s” line probably set a bad tone. It was all downhill from there.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020

Treat yourself and go watch John Wayne in, "The Cowboys." You can thank me later. Maybe not one of his best movies but it is by far not his worst.

I just never into JW in movies other than westerns...

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Treat yourself and go watch John Wayne in, "The Cowboys." You can thank me later. Maybe not one of his best movies but it is by far not his worst.

I distinctly remember watching The Cowboys when it first came out.
I was probably around 8 years old and already a JW fan.
It was the first time I cried at a movie ending...
Not the last time though.

Second date with a girl and we saw Field of Dreams.
No third date.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020

I distinctly remember watching The Cowboys when it first came out.
I was probably around 8 years old and already a JW fan.
It was the first time I cried at a movie ending...
Not the last time though.

Second date with a girl and we saw Field of Dreams.
No third date.
Was there another JW movie where he died at the hands of the "bad guys?" I don't consider "The Shootest" in that category because he went out on HIS terms since he was dying of cancer in the movie and in reality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator