UCF thinks they're one of FL's power teams now; fans flip out when you call them Central Florida

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
In a two-piece article with The Oklahoman, UCF head coach Guz Malzahan said that he thinks it’s time to consider the Knights among the elite program in the state of Florida.

Personally, it'll be amusing to see UCF go 5-7 when they move to an actual conference and have to deal week in and week out with teams that recruit better then they do.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I don't blame Malzahn for saying what he said; he's trying to build a program and get great recruits. A bit of hyperbole - or a lot in this case - is to be expected. And I seriously doubt he really believes what he's saying. The mistake I think UCF has made is in pretending they really are one of the big boys when it comes to scheduling. Were I their AD, I'd happily go play anywhere with no home and home or a 2 for 1 until such time they started consistently winning these games. And joining a Big 12 without Texas or Oklahoma is not going to help their cause much.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
Abstractly, I don't blame Malzahn for doing his job and building the brand; but this type of over the top braggadocious statements/actions have been part of their brand for awhile. Let's face it: his statements haven't occurred in a vacuum, but as the latest in a long line of stuff.

The self-declared "national championship" and demanding home n homes with Power 5 brands (and whining to the media when FL and others offered them 2 for 1s)...on top of the wildly delusional fanbase. Their record over the past few seasons has regressed to middle of the pack and they want to talk about being a premier brand in the state now that they're moving to a Power 5 conference?

Try winning in said Power 5 conference before acting like one of the big boys...

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
giphy-downsized-large.gif

:facepalm:

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Don't care what ucf says...

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Ucf has become the “trans” of college athletics. Sure you hate others way more. And there are certainly more pressing issues. But with them it’s just awkward. Every time they say something, you kind of just cringe at them with this weird, almost empathetic look. Then you sort of just nod to not make matters worse, try your best to avoid eye contact, and look for the quickest possible exit.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
Last staff dropped the ball when we played them.

As the article mentioned, we were using our ST coach as the interim since our HC had been fired; our DC had been fired; and our starting QB had already announced their intentions to transfer. We had what? Two bowl practices before the game?

There's **multiple** things I can blame Mullen for, but that bowl game was a failure of our A.D. rather than our former coach.

Don't take the bowl invite if the players are that disinterested (and they were). It's not like we had some bowl streak to hold on to (fuchs you Muschump) or a significant season record to chase. Also not like the interim staff or players took anything seriously either. Politely decline the invite and don't give a potential rival ammunition like this. Let those clowns play a team at their level rather than crow about a win over a 6-6 UF team that had fired their entire coaching staff and barely practiced prior to the game.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Never really been a Malzahn fan. But he's (and his wife) are a perfect fit there at U-ltimately C-onfused F-ukk@#$.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
This is only a discussion because UF, f$u and scUM have fallen off so much while UCF has had a good run. Losing a meaningless and disinterested bowl game is one thing, but we also scraped by USF. This shows as much anything how much rebuilding we need.

It’s worse for scUM and f$u. Other than a half decent year last year for f$u, neither of them have done anything for 5+ years.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Well they have beaten Baylor, Auburn, Georgia and UF in bowl games...but I agree they have avoided conference moves(ACC) in the past which were pretty open to them and certainly would have influenced their standing in the overall CFB world.

I will be paying very close attention to their offense this year(the OC's brother works with us) Gus has taken his hands off the reigns so it will look somewhat different. We'll see if playing week in and week out in a bigger conference as Rev mentioned will take the starch out of them during the season.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Not sure state of Florida has any power college football teams.
At the moment this is certainly true. FSU is not going in the direction their fans may think in my opinion. They were a very shaky team last year in nearly every game.....I could easily see them taking a step back to a .500 season this year.

If Karl can keep UF's recruiting class together we are probably in the best shape talentwise but Karl needs to win at least 7-8 games this season to do that.

tharber

Oct 10, 2020
Their fans are the worst part of this. They really do think they're all that. Given their student count, they should be up and coming but its not their time yet. They will take a step or two backwards this year entering a conference with some fair opponents but they will never truly be NC.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The problem is it may eventually be their time. We better get off our a... and reassert ourselves.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
As the article mentioned, we were using our ST coach as the interim since our HC had been fired; our DC had been fired; and our starting QB had already announced their intentions to transfer. We had what? Two bowl practices before the game?

There's **multiple** things I can blame Mullen for, but that bowl game was a failure of our A.D. rather than our former coach.

Don't take the bowl invite if the players are that disinterested (and they were). It's not like we had some bowl streak to hold on to (fuchs you Muschump) or a significant season record to chase. Also not like the interim staff or players took anything seriously either. Politely decline the invite and don't give a potential rival ammunition like this. Let those clowns play a team at their level rather than crow about a win over a 6-6 UF team that had fired their entire coaching staff and barely practiced prior to the game.
And Greg Knox was on the sideline as our HC? Mr Arms Crossed could not care less about his players. Where is he now? Senor Offensive Analyst at Miss State. Finally, reached his potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.