UF Alumni Roll Call

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

I was there too. This is from the opposite view of my old Sec. 55 seats but captures it wonderfully:

That was right up there with 1991 F$U (whole dang game), 1995 Ut Joey Kent hit and 1997 F$U pass to Quezzie as the loudest moments I’ve ever experienced at The Swamp.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Ok - Growl.

Robin Williams nearly killed me. I was way up in row 80+ where is it so steep in the east stands on the edge of the row. He made me laugh so hard I nearly fell out of my seat down the steps.

(I can neither confirm nor deny any aspects of my condition that may have exacerbated the situation.)

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
2005 - MS in Horticultural Sciences

2009 - PhD in Horticultural Sciences

Then I did a 2.5 year post doc in wetlands restoration.

Best football memory

1. the 2006 champ game after Ginn returns the opening kickoff my wife says, I bet the bucknuts won't score again.

2. Spikes punting it into the north end zone after a pick six vs LSU in 2008. Great nutty atmosphere that night.

Best Gville memories

1. My first daughter crawling around the north end zone at the swamp

2. The crazy celebration on the street after back to back basketball championships. I was lucky to be there and watch those teams in person.
Do you remember a guy waving a huge orange gator flag in the middle of Univ. ave after the UCLA win? that was me............

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Ok - Growl.

Robin Williams nearly killed me. I was way up in row 80+ where is it so steep in the east stands on the edge of the row. He made me laugh so hard I nearly fell out of my seat down the steps.

(I can neither confirm nor deny any aspects of my condition that may have exacerbated the situation.)
I was around that row toward the 10 yd line on the south end. A small bottle jack with my wife and girl I taught with and her husband.
His last line was if you cant take a fckkk joke you.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Do you remember a guy waving a huge orange gator flag in the middle of Univ. ave after the UCLA win? that was me............
I will check my pictures. I remember that, but don't remember if I have a picture.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Ok - Growl.

That was my first Growl - “Mr Happy” got us in trouble which resulted in Bob Hope, Bill Cosby and the Smothers Brothers.
But that ‘82 Growl was worth it. ;)

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
‘91 BS Aerospace Engineering

2007 FSU, got last second tickets outside the stadium for me and my daughter, her first experience in The Swamp. Great seats (40 yd line, about 15 rows up), crowd was insanely loud, and Timmy pretty much wrapped up the Heisman that game. My daughter couldn’t stop smiling.

Best Gainesville memory: Actually it’s not one thing. Walks just before dusk with my wife around Lake Alice. Playing the most competitive games of wiffle ball ever in the courtyard of the apartment with my buddies, grilling burgers and getting so drunk on first Wild Turkey, then upside-down margaritas late into the night on July 3rd that July 4th didn’t exist for me that year. Riding my bike to class, and getting hammered with a sudden downpour and going into class totally soaked. Meeting my crew at the Union to study and eating more bacon at the cafeteria than should be humanly possible. Smoking Swisher Sweets as we walked out of the last final each semester. Baricadding the door during the murders. Having friends show up at our apartment to “study” always right around dinner time when my wife was cooking. Getting pneumonia so bad that I sat in my living room for 2 days just shaking, trying desperately not to move because when I did i would start coughing for 10 minutes, and then finally the fever breaking and it looking like a bucket of water was poured on me. Getting my first “big boy” job offer my senior year. Playing intramural flag football with a bunch of aerospace nerds, and actually winning a few games. Getting a free ticket from a kid coming out of the stadium about to pass out, and seeing Spurrier’s first game as a head coach, blowing out Oklahoma State. Seeing my daughter on campus for the first time as a student. Tailgating at the teepee with friends and Gators. Walking in a sea of Orange and Blue in front of the stadium. Getting pretzel salt in my eye every damn time when the band first plays the Gator Fight Song.

All of it. All of it is my best Gainesville memory.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
'78, BS Journalism & Communications, News Reporting

My first Gator game, a 40-14 wiping of SMU in the '75 season opener in the heat at Florida Field. I'd been prepped for a party, and that experience didn't disappoint. We smuggled in mini bottles of Bacardi in our cowboy boots. First play from scrimmage, Gaffney handed off to DuBose, who ran virtually untouched 75 yards for a score. The rout was on.

As BNA noted, not one but many things. Motorcycle rides into the wilderness on Williston Road after class, Nickel Beer Night at Nichols Alley, the Backstage Bar, MNF at the Rat, the Muffy Richardson Trio at Richenbacher's, Dicky Betts at Lake Alice, the Outlaws on the North Lawn, tubing down the Ich, Asher Specials at 3 a.m. at Skeeter's, burgers anytime at Snuffy's. I wasn't sure I was gonna like coming to UF from Chicago, it was so different. Man, was I in for a surprise.

Last edited:

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
98 - BS in finance and marketing
03 - JD

97 fsu game

So hard to pick best memory from 11 years in gville. The first two weeks after winning 96 title was a great time. Every Halloween was amazing. So many great friends, meeting my wife, nearly stress free life for over a decade, and too many more to list.

Pot.

@Brad: It was a huge sports bar IIRC. Went there once in the mid-'90s.

Can anyone recall the name of the outdoor bar that was literally on top of a building on the south side of University near Main?

In the 90’s, it was Congo Craigs and you could box for a $25 bar tab. I boxed there in 94. The last fight of the night was always a ladies bought. Four girls from our crew all fought each other, the same night I boxed, in a royal rumble style fight.

How great are the Gainesville memories: that night probably doesn’t even make the top 250.

SaltyGator

Make the Gators great again!
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
Graduates 2006 Bachelor Landscape Architecture

It was the Zook years, good football memories don’t exist. But I never missed a home game, those are great memories!

Stubbies Bar

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
'78, BS Journalism & Communications, News Reporting

My first Gator game, a 40-14 wiping of SMU in the '75 season opener in the heat at Florida Field.

I was there. It was my 14th birthday present from my dad & also my first game at Florida Field. I remember Wes Chandler bursting out in that game as well. That night my blood turned Orange & Blue.

ppinesgator

Founding Member
aka "Biggums"
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
So do I get more Oxbucks if I take part in this thread?

Journalism, 1984

Hearing Jimmy Buffett sing the national anthem before the USCw game. Watching a hot air balloon festooned with a Gators Burst Through the Trojans banner rise from behind the O'Dome just before kickoff of the game.

Curb surfing in my roomates' VW Bug down South Main Street, not realizing the exhaust had caught fire. This was after Taco Tuesday night at the Brown Derby.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It was the Zook years, good football memories don’t exist.
Yeah... it is what happens when an AD hires a former failed coordinator just bc of a personal friendship.

Buckman2000

Oct 1, 2016
Degree - BS in Business Finance 2000
Gator Memory - ‘97 FSU game (Janikowski can EABD)
Gainesville Memory - just University Ave in general. All the clubs, always something to do.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Year graduated.

Major.

Best football memory.

Best G'ville memory.

1978?? MA economics

1981 Ph.D. economics

Best football memory: Wes Chandler's great play making.

Best Gainesville memory: playing pick up basketball in Alligator Alley

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Best football memory: Wes Chandler's great play making.

Best Gainesville memory: playing pick up basketball in Alligator Alley
Wes is ROH material............we probably played agin each other in the Alley back then. SPENT a lot of time there. Remember
phys plant employees that played there at lunch? Also played lots of intramurals in there too

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Wes is ROH material............we probably played agin each other in the Alley back then. SPENT a lot of time there. Remember
phys plant employees that played there at lunch? Also played lots of intramurals in there too

I certainly played with phys plant employees at various times. We did not make it there for lunch much, but did from time to time. We did play summer 3 on 3 intramurals and some 5 on 5 during some regular semesters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator