UF Announces Dan Mullen as HC $36 Million over 6 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
No. That's not me talking. That's the 33-39 SEC record talking. Good God, this guy is 1970's retro offense. Gator nation is going to break their jaws yawning at the stuff EVERYONE else can figure out.....
It only worked because of three reasons. 1.) Tebow 2.) Pouncey Twins 3.) Percy Harvin.

So all we need now are another Tebow, a couple of Pouncey Twins, and a Percy Harvin. Easy Peasy.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I know this has probably been said a thousand times already in this thread...but why would Mullen take a lateral move???
Seriously this will not end well. No chance at all. His wife says we're so crazy that she has to shop in Orlando. AND Mullen calls us a lateral move to Miss State..We haven't even gotten into the fact that there's no way this will be "fun". Stricklin said he wants Gator football to be fun again. Then he chooses the least "fun" guy he possibly could. The only way this makes sense is if Scott Stricklin really hates gator football and is actively trying to destroy it. Otherwise why does this hire make any sense???

I said the same thing above. This feels intentional. I do not support this hire, this coach, and especially this AD.

ccsdk

True Gator
Nov 12, 2017
Long time lurker here. I wanted to run this up the flagpole.

I'm not a huge fan of the hire, but it's what I've expected from day one, so I've wrapped my head around it. Allow me to make the case.

1. Meyer's pre-UF success involved a partnership with Mullen. Impressive records, offenses, QBs.
2. He was UF's OC for four seasons. Offense improved every year.
2005-Early struggles, Leak is not an option QB, Mullen cobbles together some solutions, Outback Bowl, success.
2006-Mullen recruits/develops the GOAT option QB and weaves him expertly into a hybrid offense of his own design, natty.
2007-Mullen's QB in full control, record setting offense, Heisman.
2008-Offense is a runaway train, should've been another Heisman, natty.
3. The moment Mullen leaves UF the offense, even with TT at the helm, regresses.
4. Mullen has elevated MSU and probably reached that program's ceiling. I haven't researched this assertion, and I'm open to being proven wrong. It feels like he has made them a consistent top 25 team. I don't believe they ever were before. He has found and developed QBs that weren't can't miss 5 stars.

That's my argument. I could name five guys I would be more excited about, but I'm going to jump on the CDM train and hope it goes back to the promised land. Unfortunately, I don't think we're likely to know for two years. Oh well.
Good points however please see his record as a head coach. Not very good, and that is over 9 years. He will be ok, mediocre. I dont think that is what we want...especially at the bargain basement price of 7 million.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@BobRedman_Scout: I do. I know OL John Hevesy left here to follow him to Miss. State and is still there. Passing game coordinator Billy Gonzales coached Percy here and left for LSU but is back with Mullen at MSU. I would suspect the both come.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
FWIW, Mullen competing with a full deck. The two losses you can legitimately question are the bowl game and Ole Miss. As a matter of fact, you could say that team ran out of gas at the end of the season.

Screen%20Shot%202017-11-26%20at%205.46.49%20PM_zpsixm9n7jq.png

Big Wave

Nov 26, 2017
Again, I've never been a Mullen guy. I see the flaws. His tenure as UF OC hit the ceiling. Maybe the last nine years at MSU represents their ceiling. If so, maybe he can get us back to our's. Here's hoping.

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Good God. Settle down.

This hire would scream nepotism if Strick hired Mullen outright, but he went hard at Kelly and according to rumors he also tested the waters with Frost. No need to fuk around with Taggart, Norvell or whatever sh!t people choose to throw against the wall to see what sticks.

Telling someone to "settle down" on a fan message board is really funny. Try that in a library. Not here.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Good God. Settle down.

This hire would scream nepotism if Strick hired Mullen outright, but he went hard at Kelly and according to rumors he also tested the waters with Frost. No need to fuk around with Taggart, Norvell or whatever sh!t people choose to throw against the wall to see what sticks.
You were svkking butter's cawk three weeks ago. No one is surprised.

Last edited:

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I’m not happy about Mullen as our HC. Especially at that rumored dollar figure. Kelly, Frost, Norvell, Strong and probably a few others were higher on my list.

That said, I will continue to cheer for my Gators “in all kinds of weather.”

I’m willing to give Mullen a chance to prove what he can do here. Prescott and Fitzgerald are certainly better than any QB we’ve brought to Gville since Timmy graduated. Hopefully he can bring Corral to generate some excitement.

Didn’t read the meltdown here, but Ox is right: step away from the keyboard if your first instinct is to go for the throats of your fellow Gators. If it gets ugly, you might not see me post much, nor receive one of my highly-coveted ‘likes.’

In the meantime, I’m in “wait and see” mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.