UF Announces Dan Mullen as HC $36 Million over 6 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Seriously, with that plodding whale crawl offense he ran? We ARE going to give this guy a chance because he has a contract that says we will no matter WHAT we think. Do I have to sit back, suck my thumb, and take it with a grin? I can't find the message board rules that say I have to. So I'm good.

I'm no more unhappy than you that we whiffed at Kelly and Frost, but I believe that with Florida athletes his offense can function at a high level. It's not as if we haven't been down this road before.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I applaud the optimism a few of you always seem to have. I wish I could walk around stoned and still be fully functional.

I'm just not a pessimist. And no, I'm not stoned. I left the various message boards I was on (including this one) because I just couldn't stand the angst. Which, of course, the GatorSports message board was full of in 2009 when Mullen left and we were left with Addazio's shyt play calling.

Even in that year, when we were #1 the whole season, we had a lot of low scoring games (well, they were tense) : W at LSU, W at home vs Arky (I remember it, b/c I was there), W at SC. W against Mullen in his first year at MSU (OK, that wasn't low scoring, but our O played poorly). And, of course, the loss to Bama in SECCG. Only blowouts of good teams were UGA, FSU, and Cincy in Sugar Bowl.

So there had to be a difference between play calling in 2008 and 2009. And that difference was Mullen left and we were left with Addazio.

Blacklabgator

Lurking Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2014
I love this hire!

Yes, we whiffed on our top two candidates but why are so many hurt over not getting coaches who don’t want to be Gators?

I’m happy we found a guy with a history of success that wants to be here. I loved the spread option attack we used to run and I can’t wait to see what we look like at the next spring game.
:dubster:

Gator by the Sea

Lifetime Member
Mar 9, 2017
Just curious. If Candle, Campbell or Norvell were to Mississippi State this season, went 8-4 and for some inexplicable reason had become available, would you be interested?

Kelly and Frost were my clear choices (1a and 1b, if you will). I would have been ok with those other guys based on what they have done where they are in their own unique circumstances. But with Mullen it's not about his overall record. It's the fact that he's almost never beaten anyone good. I'm not going to be happy with 8 or 9 wins at UF, especially if some of the losses are continually against our rivals and we're never in championship. contention

MatthewM.

Founding Member
Chief Queef
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
How can Stricklin stand up there tomorrow and say we got our man? Is he going to acknowledge striking out on our top 2 targets and just going to the hurry up comfortable option or pretend we didn’t notice his failure.

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I'm no more unhappy than you that we whiffed at Kelly and Frost, but I believe that with Florida athletes his offense can function at a high level. It's not as if we haven't been down this road before.

This isn't about whiffing at Kelly or Frost. If a potential candidate doesn't want to be here I don't want them. This is about candidate with offensive ideas that are innovative like Morris, Norvell, Campbell, and others not EVEN being considered. Mullen may be 45 years old but he runs yesterday's crap offenses. Go watch the MSU tapes. Christ my high school [I'm a teacher] runs more innovative stuff than this. This is a BAD hire. We are going to be miserable for four years at SEVEN million a year.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
FWIW, Mullen competing with a full deck. The two losses you can legitimately question are the bowl game and Ole Miss. As a matter of fact, you could say that team ran out of gas at the end of the season.

Screen%20Shot%202017-11-26%20at%205.46.49%20PM_zpsixm9n7jq.png
BUWAHAHAHAHAHA

Auburn ended 8-5 unranked
A&M ended 8-5 and unranked

Mr. Loser is 4-29 vs ranked teams.

I knew your post smelled like the **** post it was... :kiffin:
:kiffin::kiffin::kiffin::kiffin::kiffin:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

I didn't say he was imperfect. I tried to point out that he operated for much of his time at Mississippi State in a very tough division.

Just curious. Who in your opinion who was available would have been a better hire?

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Long time lurker here. I wanted to run this up the flagpole.

I'm not a huge fan of the hire, but it's what I've expected from day one, so I've wrapped my head around it. Allow me to make the case.

1. Meyer's pre-UF success involved a partnership with Mullen. Impressive records, offenses, QBs.
2. He was UF's OC for four seasons. Offense improved every year.
2005-Early struggles, Leak is not an option QB, Mullen cobbles together some solutions, Outback Bowl, success.
2006-Mullen recruits/develops the GOAT option QB and weaves him expertly into a hybrid offense of his own design, natty.
2007-Mullen's QB in full control, record setting offense, Heisman.
2008-Offense is a runaway train, should've been another Heisman, natty.
3. The moment Mullen leaves UF the offense, even with TT at the helm, regresses.
4. Mullen has elevated MSU and probably reached that program's ceiling. I haven't researched this assertion, and I'm open to being proven wrong. It feels like he has made them a consistent top 25 team. I don't believe they ever were before. He has found and developed QBs that weren't can't miss 5 stars.

That's my argument. I could name five guys I would be more excited about, but I'm going to jump on the CDM train and hope it goes back to the promised land. Unfortunately, I don't think we're likely to know for two years. Oh well.
Good points, but we are looking for excitement! Harvin is a once in a lifetime..,

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This isn't about whiffing at Kelly or Frost. If a potential candidate doesn't want to be here I don't want them. This is about candidate with offensive ideas that are innovative like Morris, Norvell, Campbell, and others not EVEN being considered. Mullen may be 45 years old but he runs yesterday's crap offenses. Go watch the MSU tapes. Christ my high school [I'm a teacher] runs more innovative stuff than this. This is a BAD hire. We are going to be miserable for four years at SEVEN million a year.

No disagreement on Norvell. I think I may have liked him even more than Frost. The guy's offense is terrific, but he does need to work on stopping people.

PaterLacerta

Who’s Your Daddy?
Jan 19, 2016
I'm just not a pessimist. And no, I'm not stoned. I left the various message boards I was on (including this one) because I just couldn't stand the angst. Which, of course, the GatorSports message board was full of in 2009 when Mullen left and we were left with Addazio's shyt play calling.

Even in that year, when we were #1 the whole season, we had a lot of low scoring games (well, they were tense) : W at LSU, W at home vs Arky (I remember it, b/c I was there), W at SC. W against Mullen in his first year at MSU (OK, that wasn't low scoring, but our O played poorly). And, of course, the loss to Bama in SECCG. Only blowouts of good teams were UGA, FSU, and Cincy in Sugar Bowl.

So there had to be a difference between play calling in 2008 and 2009. And that difference was Mullen left and we were left with Addazio.
Addazio just happened to coincide with Urban's gastrointestinal whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.