UF Coaching Thread: Russ Callaway promoted to Co-OC

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
I'm not sure there's a coach at the Power Five level on a hotter seat than Napier. After an uninspiring 6-7 record in 2022, the Gators were less inspiring in 2023 amid a 5-7 campaign. What had been a great recruiting class fizzled as signing day approached and the losses mounted. The Gators head into 2024 with one of the toughest schedules in the country and not a lot of confidence in their coach.

cant be. strick says its noise in the system and that taggert is fine

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
That is what I was thinking. Isn't he taking a lot of heat for the eagles flop?
This practice of forcing owners to interview a black in order to check a box is incredibly insulting to them. Johnson should have told them to stick their interview up their asses.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We're not failing!

:yes:
The Big Lebowski Dude GIF

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I do agree it was a mock interview basically but it gives him experience for a possible legit one later.

The problem is this was his first year as actual OC and Philly took a decided step backwards. I’m still not entirely sold on Hurts, and temporary regressions happen, but this was his third stint ever as official OC and two of the three didn’t go well and one was us during the no-defense Covid season. So the timing of that looks the part of just finding someone that satisfies a requirement, as there has to be a dozen other black coaches that had better overall seasons than him.

The rule had a place at some point. But I don’t think it does anymore and it insults these guys in the process. If an owner doesn’t want to hire someone because of their skin tone then a) why would you even want to work for that idiot?, and b) good, let then watch a good candidate go elsewhere and be stuck with someone of lesser actual value. Forcing them makes no sense.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Not trying to be an @ss, but what signs do you see? Beyond the initial enthusiasm I’m not sure there’s a lot of consistency on display that has been good or productive beyond a play or maybe a series.
There are a few things: (1) the Tennessee game plan was solid; (2) we were rarely in completely blown coverages (certainly in comparison to prior DCs); (3) I thought the personnel use was improved over prior years until injuries forced some awful older transfer to be on the field; (4) he seems all-in on his job, and that might be something you should take for granted, it is a distinguishing feature to make real $ and stay hungry.

Again, I’m not advocating for him or suggesting last year was a success. But, if he showed signs from working with him day to day, demotion or getting senior help instead of firing could be a good choice here. Maybe not. I’m not close enough, but this doesn’t strike me as the same as some other things/decisions that are objectively asinine.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The Rooney Rule is such a joke but then again I guess that’s why they named it after the hypocrites in Pittsburgh.
Johnson is also getting a Titans interview, which at least could be more legit than Falcons.
That being said I think they expanded the rule to make teams interview two "POC" instead of just one.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
So if the forecasters are correct and say in like 2050 long after I have checked out and "Whitey" is no longer the majority in the "great U S of A", will "Whitey" get a cursory interview for NFL job openings to satisfy the Rooney Rule? Just Sayin'. Oh wait he just entered the transfer portal. Never Mind, wrong thread. :grin:

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
There are a few things: (1) the Tennessee game plan was solid; (2) we were rarely in completely blown coverages (certainly in comparison to prior DCs); (3) I thought the personnel use was improved over prior years until injuries forced some awful older transfer to be on the field; (4) he seems all-in on his job, and that might be something you should take for granted, it is a distinguishing feature to make real $ and stay hungry.

Again, I’m not advocating for him or suggesting last year was a success. But, if he showed signs from working with him day to day, demotion or getting senior help instead of firing could be a good choice here. Maybe not. I’m not close enough, but this doesn’t strike me as the same as some other things/decisions that are objectively asinine.
I thought the loss of Shemar made a huge difference in our defense.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There are a few things: (1) the Tennessee game plan was solid;
The Tinerc defensive gameplan was nuts. They decided to clamp down on the passing game and give up the run. Perhaps they thought it was 1994 all over again. Like Fat Stoops isnt running a clinic on stop the run period even if it means man zero and ignore the pass to beat Simple Bill.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator