UF Coaching Thread: Russ Callaway promoted to Co-OC

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I'm to the point where none of this matters. This is not a serious program.
Exactly, meaning this:

IF Stricking/Sasse knew right now that Napier wasn't going to work out, they still wouldn't fire him for reasons of optics/admittance of failure, etc. A serious program would.

I was actually stunned when FSU fired Taggart when they did. I didn't think there was a chance in hell, and yet they went ahead and did it. Have to give credit where credit is due there.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Exactly, meaning this:

IF Stricking/Sasse knew right now that Napier wasn't going to work out, they still wouldn't fire him for reasons of optics/admittance of failure, etc. A serious program would.

I was actually stunned when FSU fired Taggart when they did. I didn't think there was a chance in hell, and yet they went ahead and did it. Have to give credit where credit is due there.

Stricklin won't due to optics and this being his McElwain. Sasse won't because of the list of schit he has to deal with, it's down the list. Sasse won't even get close to this for another year, there is so much more important issues to deal with as long as the program is making money. But it's on the list.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I actually have no real issue with his defense, because I do think he’s constantly undermanned and would have much better talent to work with at a better school. To me the biggest concern is that he has become known as sort of the class clown. I’m not sure he’s taken very serious, and that more than anything has affected his ability to recruit, as you have complete assassin’s like Smart and Saban who are all business. It’s fun to joke around, but I do think they use it against him, especially with families of recruits. Do you want a coach who’s developing your son for the NFL and winning, or do you want a coach looking for the next great meme to troll someone on Twitter?

I do think he could do well here, but he wouldn’t be my top choice.
He’s my top choice and realistically who I think we could end up hiring after year 3 of Napier goes down the toilet.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Exactly, meaning this:

Because the Fsu administration wants to win, and don’t care about optics. Most of the big SEC schools are the same way, UF administration doesn’t have the drive to get the football program elite again.

GatorScott

If you ain't first, you're last
Jan 21, 2019
Exactly, meaning this:

but there were a TON of FSU alumni/ex players that were demanding an immediate change and threatening to withhold donations/giving support middle of that season when they fired Taggart. Moral of the story is the threat of turning off the spigot of $ caused FSU to pull the plug on the Willie Experiment, which leads to the question of what effect ex Gator players publicly demanding change immediately would have on Strick and Sasse making a change? Fan base bitching is one thing, but people with a legacy and program clout seem to move the needle more than myself telling the UAA I'm withholding my yearly Bull Gator money from them.

ShelbyGator

Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Not really a Kiffin fan either. His defenses have been trash
How can any Gator fan talk about another team's defense being trash? They are better than ours with less talent, and they can score 50 every game. And Lane built that from nothing in no time. I'll take him here tomorrow and I'm certain he'll far exceed the performance of the last 4 numbskulls.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Stricklin won't due to optics and this being his McElwain. Sasse won't because of the list of schit he has to deal with, it's down the list. Sasse won't even get close to this for another year, there is so much more important issues to deal with as long as the program is making money. But it's on the list.
Yup... can confirm. And the amount of schit he has done since he started in March is pretty huge.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I think pretty much anyone that watched his teams at ULL realized it wouldn't translate. Then most of us tried to convince ourselves otherwise after we hired him.
He did a lot of stuff right and he immediately addressed the recruiting issues (minus OL and LB) which has been the biggest issue holding us back. He (the staff he assembled) proved to be really good at evaluating talent as well. I think his approach of playing the long game, instead of selling a bit of the future for the present, along with Eddie Rojas (and taking to long to get or NIL game straight) fuggin up the 23 class, is haunting him. His opening speech when being introduced as the new head coach made it very clear that he was going to rebuild the team from the LOS out...but he didnt do that and I think that was the biggest issue that has got us to where we are today. I dont care what scheme you run, if you got 3* skilled players and 4-5* LOS talent, the scheme is going to work out. We got strong 4* skilled players along with 3* LOS talent and just like all the teams under chump, butters and muLLLLLLLen, whenever we faced a good LOS team we lose.

He is now at the end of year 2 with a hot seat, firing position coaches which is going to most likely ripple into the 24 recruiting class, and staring down into the #1 hardest schedule in 24. I really liked the hire considering the realistic options available at the time because he was saying (and initially doing) the right things from the get go. Im hoping for a miracle and he somehow pulls it out but I just dont see how that can possibly happen unless we are on the Dabo Sweeney 7-8 year burn in model. Going to be an interesting off season starting with ESD but seems pretty obvious which way this is headed now.

Fuchs Foley.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Which is the way college football (and sports in general) should be. Go get dressed up watch the game then go home and cure cancer.

Yep. Pretty much just described my Saturdays in the fall. Sometimes I throw in some cocktails too. And haven’t cured cancer yet, but I feel like I’ve been close, especially after tennessee this year. Otherwise, spot on.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
In year 3, the minimum is to go 4-4 in conf play? I dont care what our schedule looks like. In year 3 at florida you better be winning a lot more than you're losing or you deserve to be locked out of the football facilities. 4-4 in conf in year 3 should get him fired and forever hated by our fan base. And i use the word should, because he should be standing in the unemployment line now, instead of cashing another fat check at the program's expense.
You’re right. I revise. Looking at our 2024 schedule, he needs to go 3-1 or better in non-conference games and 6-2 or better in-conference.

Sweep 7 home games, win at Ut, MSU.

Lose any of those then he needs to pick up a win at f$u, Texas or shock UGA.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Anything less than 9 wins next year and he needs to be thrown out on his butt. After 2 brutal and horrifically coached losing seasons, 9 wins is the absolute minimum to save his neck. And we better look competent in those wins; if he muschamps to 9 wins like we did in 2011 he should STILL be fired.

Last edited:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Anything less than 9 wins next year and he needs to be thrown out on his butt. After 2 brutal and horrifically coached losing seasons, 9 wins is the absolute minimum to save his neck. And we better look competent in those wins; if he muschamps to 9 wins like we did in 2011 he should STILL be fired.
You’ve got a better chance of winning the lottery than you do watching us get to 9 wins next season. Look at the schedule. 1-11 is not off the table.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
^this... it's why I said before that as a manager, he needs to make sure he's hiring leaders if he has any shot of surviving.
When you say leaders, I hope you mean someone with the balls to give him some push back when he's being a dumbass. Which is a pretty regular occurrence

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'm drunk right now, and extremely optimistic. I set the over/under at 4.
In all seriousness, I can’t see 4 wins on that schedule with the play we’ve seen the second half of the this season. It’s gonna be ugly and there’s no way around it.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I'm drunk right now, and extremely optimistic. I set the over/under at 4.
Lets Go Sport GIF by ALL ELITE WRESTLING

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He did a lot of stuff right and he immediately addressed the recruiting issues (minus OL and LB) which has been the biggest issue holding us back. He (the staff he assembled) proved to be really good at evaluating talent as well. I think his approach of playing the long game, instead of selling a bit of the future for the present, along with Eddie Rojas (and taking to long to get or NIL game straight) fuggin up the 23 class, is haunting him. His opening speech when being introduced as the new head coach made it very clear that he was going to rebuild the team from the LOS out...but he didnt do that and I think that was the biggest issue that has got us to where we are today. I dont care what scheme you run, if you got 3* skilled players and 4-5* LOS talent, the scheme is going to work out. We got strong 4* skilled players along with 3* LOS talent and just like all the teams under chump, butters and muLLLLLLLen, whenever we faced a good LOS team we lose.

He is now at the end of year 2 with a hot seat, firing position coaches which is going to most likely ripple into the 24 recruiting class, and staring down into the #1 hardest schedule in 24. I really liked the hire considering the realistic options available at the time because he was saying (and initially doing) the right things from the get go. Im hoping for a miracle and he somehow pulls it out but I just dont see how that can possibly happen unless we are on the Dabo Sweeney 7-8 year burn in model. Going to be an interesting off season starting with ESD but seems pretty obvious which way this is headed now.

Fuchs Foley.

He sold that we would also play smart, discipline football, which we are still waiting to see in year 2.... but the issues of him as a cultural and offensive fit were all there at UL if you wanted to see them.... some didn't. Also you had to also believe that the UAA was suddenly going to change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.