UF Coaching Thread: Russ Callaway promoted to Co-OC

Gator CPA

Nov 16, 2015
Treyaun Webbs praise about our new S&C pgm...

We usually do OK in Sept. It's October and November that fuch us up.

You are 100% correct. These articles are garbage that serve to justify paying a beat writer year round.

My favorites are the ones in the summer about what a special bond the team has developed with an atmosphere of a family or, dare I say it, a band of brothers.
The only difference is that this band of brothers lose together.
Yeah I get tired of the "circle jerk" articles each year about the bonding or bromances....whatever the F makes them happy I guess.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Dude, let's celebrate a little bit. THEN we can storm the castle.

france queue GIF

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He's just a guy that knows we have more than enough players to compete, but can't wrap his mind around the fact that playcalling and game strategy can essentially nullify that. I suspect he'll come to that realization shortly after this next season begins.

During his radio show it isn't his football IQ reacting and responding. That is game day where he doesn't have time to think of a way to rephrase/reorganize things. Shane knows who signs those checks, and like all the other Gainesville media knows not to piss off the gatekeepers of access.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
It's Napier's third season. Any possible excuses are gone. Any coach that is going to turn around a program would start doing it by the 3rd season in a big way. A big way. If we don't see it, there is absolutely no reason to retain him.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's Napier's third season. Any possible excuses are gone. Any coach that is going to turn around a program would start doing it by the 3rd season in a big way. A big way. If we don't see it, there is absolutely no reason to retain him.
We finally have an Executive Head Coach of the Defense. What more could you possibly want? Surely all of our problems are now solved, but nobody seems happy for some weird reason.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We finally have an Executive Head Coach of the Defense. What more could you possibly want? Surely all of our problems are now solved, but nobody seems happy for some weird reason.

You can't please some people. Here we are number one academic school in the universe and sitting on a one game winning streak versus Vandy, which they won't be able to end for a while.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
You can't please some people. Here we are number one academic school in the universe and sitting on a one game winning streak versus Vandy, which they won't be able to end for a while.
Hey now. Vandy could go on a tear and be bowl eligible. Last thing we want is to face a red hot 6-6 Vandy in a bowl game!

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
We know that had Napier hired a true, ready DC to begin with, he wouldn't have needed to hire someone to oversee the Defense. Napier is plugging holes, and we hope it works out. But it was his decision calculus to begin with that led to last year's Defense and this year's add-on coach. But if it works, great. Unfortunately, due to last season, it really has to work.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We know that had Napier hired a true, ready DC to begin with, he wouldn't have needed to hire someone to oversee the Defense. Napier is plugging holes, and we hope it works out. But it was his decision calculus to begin with that led to last year's Defense and this year's add-on coach. But if it works, great. Unfortunately, due to last season, it really has to work.

Is that the same reason that SS hired a Director of Football Operations?

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
It's funny to hear the difference in Shane on his radio show, and Shane on the game day color analysis. The offense isn't the problem on the radio show. GameDay: "Why the hell aren't we throwing to the receiver who is in one on one coverage, the center of the field is open, we can throw more than 10 yards down the field."
He does say the offense isn’t the problem. I agree in that it isn’t the worst problem. Defense was worse by far, special teams was worse, too. But it’s like failing math, getting a D in science and a C- in English. English isn’t “the” problem but we expect A’s in this house.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Pat Dooley’s podcast this week includes an interview with 3x reigning world champion outdoor & 1x indoor hurdler & Gator Grant Holloway.

Holloway played HS football & was recruited & offered by UGA. He spoke to McElwain about playing at UF. Mac said he could walk on, but that he wasn’t “Gator material.”

Holloway said, “I guess we found out HE wasn’t Gator material.”

:bwahaha:

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Pat Dooley’s podcast this week includes an interview with 3x reigning world champion outdoor & 1x indoor hurdler & Gator Grant Holloway.

Holloway played HS football & was recruited & offered by UGA. He spoke to McElwain about playing at UF. Mac said he could walk on, but that he wasn’t “Gator material.”

Holloway said, “I guess we found out HE wasn’t Gator material.”

I still think McElwain was the worst of the head coaches these last 20+ years. Yes, I know his record is better than Napier's, but McElwain got a lot of help by having the easiest schedules of any Gator coach since probably before Spurrier. Plus, he inherited a much better defense thanks to Muschamp's focus on that side of the ball.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.