UF Coaching Thread: Russ Callaway promoted to Co-OC

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Bateman was a real loss but took an opportunity to advance to an SEC DC position. Robert’s is a very solid on-field coach and as Armstrong’s mentor anyway can help him shore up the big play susceptibility. That’s a net gain on-field for 2024, but Bateman was also recruiting great players. Roberts has to hold that ground for the future.
Bateman had one good class of LBs and two classes of absolute failure. The LBs have been fairly clueless and rated nearly as bad as the safeties by the PFF scouts. I dont consider Bateman a loss at all. In fact he should have been fired after yr 2 at the latest.

Not sure about Roberts being an improvement. He has been a coach for 30 years and had like two average to above averagish defenses. Spent most of his career at Div 3. "Mentor" to our last two garbage DCs doesnt strike me as a good resume bullet either. Hard to imagine he is going to be SEC level. But is a guy who was a low level coach in Louisiana for three decades, whatever that means.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Guilty as charged. I’m wired that way.

He’s got to go 8-4 or better while showing competence along the way. Others have done it, notably Norvell & Drinkwitz. The schedule is daunting. But no excuses. To get there:

Must win:
scUM
Samford
at MSU
UCF
UK

Must split 3-1:
ATM
at Ut
LSU
at f$u

Shock the world?
Miss
Texas
UGA

I doubt they will do that. But I’ll cheer them through whatever comes.
We will look back at this at the end of September.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I really do have to admire your over the top optimism. I'm not being a smart azz when I say, it's admirable.

I honestly don't see an upgrade at any on field coach for next year. We still will not have a special teams coach or a real offensive coordinator. We will still have a glorified Grad assistant at D Coordinator.

In addition, and this is what I just can't get beyond, we could have Georgia's talent and still go 8-4 with that Fn Dunce we have at head coach. I mean, our team would still play listless, un-inspired, un-disciplined, constantly out of position, D-2 level football.
The D-2 national champions, Harding University, run a triple option offense out of the flexbone. However, they were a top 3 offense in yards and scoring and are the only team in history at any level to rush for over 6,000 yards in a season. Also, they arguably had the best defensive and special teams units in the country at that level. They were that good because they play inspired, disciplined football. I don't want UF to run the triple option, but it is embarrassing that a small school from the middle of nowhere Arkansas is much more disciplined and organized on the field when UF has literally over 100 times the resources and money to be successful.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
The D-2 national champions, Harding University, run a triple option offense out of the flexbone. However, they were a top 3 offense in yards and scoring and are the only team in history at any level to rush for over 6,000 yards in a season. Also, they arguably had the best defensive and special teams units in the country at that level. They were that good because they play inspired, disciplined football. I don't want UF to run the triple option, but it is embarrassing that a small school from the middle of nowhere Arkansas is much more disciplined and organized on the field when UF has literally over 100 times the resources and money to be successful.
A disciplined and tough team is not too much to ask from a coach making $7M+ a year.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
What recruiting ranking is up? We havent landed a class higher than 15th.

This clown cant even recruit as well as Butters and Dbag Dan and they didnt bother to try.

This is exactly why idgaf about losing our sucky recruiting coordinator. We could probably just hire someone from FAU and be no worse off.
:triggered:

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Gibson himself isn’t the point. The point is Napier showed his genius in passing up on him—a current commitment—in favor of two others. A Texas kid in Douglas who came in way less heralded, caught 5 passes, dropped 4, and then bailed back to his home state. And the 0 star kid named after the girl from Clueless who looked like he belonged as a barista at Starbucks. He was hurt 80% of the time, caught two passes and transferred in search of a third last name.

And yes, I bring him up when these matters of recruiting are discussed, because I was ripped then for thinking it showed a serious lack of intelligence by our new coach, and it turns out I was correct. It foreshadowed everything from the misplaced priorities in recruiting regions, the sticking with garbage friend assistants and the completely mishandling of the roster when it comes to snaps, ironically one of our chief complaints of the last guy. He arrogantly thinks he’s way smarter than he is. I will call that out every time.
How is that Gibson kid doing?

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Vince Vaughn GIF

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

He’s accumulated 487 yards and 5 TDs, while those two accumulated 446 and 3 TDs combined. Despite catching 13 fewer passes(15) than them (28). And he’s still at the school his signed with. So, modest, yet decidedly better.

But I’m sure you already knew that. That’s probably what I love best about you.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
He’s accumulated 487 yards and 5 TDs, while those two accumulated 446 and 3 TDs combined. Despite catching 13 fewer passes(15) than them (28). And he’s still at the school his signed with. So, modest, yet decidedly better.

But I’m sure you already knew that. That’s probably what I love best about you.
I just wanted to make you actually go look it up and rub your nose in it. Love the little dance your doing while trying to make that pile of poo look like it was something worth keeping. Him and his little bestie and their karen moms are nut jobs. I kinda think, not sure if it can ever be proven with the current playcalling and OL scheme/talent/coaching, but I kinda think Gibson wouldn't be in the 2 deep with what we have right now. But keep picking that scab and making yourself bleed over it as if it was an actual loss to not take them.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I just wanted to make you actually go look it up and rub your nose in it. Love the little dance your doing while trying to make that pile of poo look like it was something worth keeping. Him and his little bestie and their karen moms are nut jobs. I kinda think, not sure if it can ever be proven with the current playcalling and OL scheme/talent/coaching, but I kinda think Gibson wouldn't be in the 2 deep with what we have right now. But keep picking that scab and making yourself bleed over it as if it was an actual loss to not take them.

First you comment on my tits, now you love my dancing. I want to be totally honest here, I take care of myself and am generally viewed as quite handsome. And my dancing, impeccable. But I was truly not prepared for this type of flattery today. You continue to be top notch in my book.

All that out of the way, I believe I was clear in my initial post that it wasn’t that Gibson was some tremendous, must have, recruit that we lost. The point was, and remains, that Napier showed a lot about his decision making in that trade off. No, Gibson isn’t some dynamite player. But his stats are in fact considerably better than both of the wastes of time we pursued instead. And math—I’m a bit of a math person—indicates that his production would’ve warranted a spot in our two deep, despite your claims, especially considering the two guys he bested saw playing time and even started here.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
They have Jesus Christ on their side.

Church of Christ

Slug

I fcuking hate people.
Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2014
We're gonna get another 7M bargain hire from Strickland. The poo runs downhill.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@Homer J and @aka I actually work there. :lol: I wasn't going to say anything because I didn't think anyone here cared about D2 football or had heard of the university. Watching Harding demoralize teams and win a national championship definitely offset the frustration I felt watching UF games.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
@Homer J and @aka I actually work there. :lol: I wasn't going to say anything because I didn't think anyone here cared about D2 football or had heard of the university. Watching Harding demoralize teams and win a national championship definitely offset the frustration I felt watching UF games.
If our Gators were to play them what would the spread be? Skeerd....

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If our Gators were to play them what would the spread be? Skeerd....
I've thought about this a lot. I'm sure the spread would be large just because it's a D2 school, but I'd pick Harding to cover. An average-ish SEC offense would be almost unstoppable at the D2 level. But I do think Harding would have some success with the run and would milk a lot of clock just because the gator lb and db units were so bad against the run. And Napier would want to run it a lot too just because of the size advantage. It would be the fastest game you'd ever see cause the clock would rarely stop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator