Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If you watched or attended any games you would see he played better than good. Now, was the fact he was such a piss poor tackler the year before make it seem his play was better than it actually was, possibly but , the level we've seen since isn't in the same ballpark.
he played okay as a nickel corner. maybe good, although frankly his coverage wasn't spectacular. but I'm not going to argue about levels of good related to that. I will concede your point for the argument. Chauncey has easily been our best nickel corner. but that's not what I'm talking about.

what I'm talking about that is the position itself replaces one of the outside linebackers in our so called 34 defense. formationally this often means that our nickel/star has to move in the box and be the outside linebacker depending on what the offense does. that sometimes includes setting the edge versus the offensive line.

none of our stars, including chauncey, have even been even mediocre playing in the box as a substitute linebacker. realistically that can't be done. you can pick somebody that's a linebacker safety hybrid. or you can pick somebody that's a safety cornerback hybrid, but there's no such thing as a linebacker safety cornerback hybrid. you're always giving up. in our case we're really just playing cornerbacks, even our safeties are basically cornerbacks. we don't even play a heavy safety/strong safety.

everyone plays a nickel corner (or dime)at some point. but most teams play an outside linebacker the majority of the time and substitute the nickel situationally. those that do play five defensive backs as a base package usually have somebody that's more of a safety linebacker hybrid (again think Black or Burney) so the defense is not so weak. we can't really do that because our choice to take all responsibilities except blitz away from the Rush end and frequent additional blitzes mean all the defensive backs are in man with only one high or often zero high.

Last edited:

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
if you're good in the box playing as a linebacker you're not capable of running man to man coverage on a wide receiver, period.
This. As an O coordinator if I knew that was your scheme on defense then I would make him (the Star) do what he isn’t good at. More LB than DB? I’ll run spread and make him cover. More of a DB? I would run, and run at him.

Why make yourself predictable?

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
he played okay as a nickel corner. maybe good, although frankly his coverage wasn't spectacular. but I'm not going to argue about levels of good related to that. I will concede your point for the argument. Chauncey has easily been our best nickel corner. but that's not what I'm talking about.

what I'm talking about that is the position itself replaces one of the outside linebackers in our so called 34 defense. formationally this often means that our nickel/star has to move in the box and be the outside linebacker depending on what the offense does. that sometimes includes setting the edge versus the offensive line.

none of our stars, including chauncey, have even been even mediocre playing in the box as a substitute linebacker. realistically that can't be done. you can pick somebody that's a linebacker safety hybrid. or you can pick somebody that's a safety cornerback hybrid, but there's no such thing as a linebacker safety cornerback hybrid. you're always giving up. in our case we're really just playing cornerbacks, even our safeties are basically cornerbacks. we don't even play a heavy safety/strong safety.
I can agree with this. It's also quite possible we have a great player in Black and nowhere to play him based on the scheme. Without playing a down I'm a big fan of Blacks but, without knowing his speed, I have no idea where he should play.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I can agree with this. It's also quite possible we have a great player in Black and nowhere to play him based on the scheme. Without playing a down I'm a big fan of Blacks but, without knowing his speed, I have no idea where he should play.
I like the kid too. he seems fun. there's not a lot of film of him since he didn't play in high school but he did play one of the All-Star games and he was all over the field. only a few guys make you notice them in those All-Star games. our last guys that I noticed were vh3 and Alexander when he was still a Penn State (or Notre Dame I forget) commit.

if Grantham isn't gone after this year, which I struggle to imagine, I'm sure he just gets moved to middle linebacker like everyone else that's bigger than a cornerback. he knew that coming in however, and I wish he had spent more time in the weight room.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Yeah that makes sense.

On a related note, what do Jay Cutler and Troy Smith have in common? Neither could handle the beastliness of Reggie Lewis. Perhaps the first ever owned and destroyed.:lol:

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Nobody hates and complains about EJ. The kid hasn't started a single game at UF, so pump the brakes (while you're pumping sunshine up everyone's ass).
Yeah, EJ is a talented kid and seems to be good kid.

Im way more worried about the stupid and completely predictable offensive system than EJ.

And dont even want to talk about Fat Dwag.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
A lot of the feelings and attitudes about this coaching staff and team (but mostly coaching staff) reminds me of the off season going into 2017. I don't think we will have an epically disastrous season like in 2017 simply because we're in a better spot at the QB position, but it's hard to be optimistic about this year when in some ways history is repeating itself.

If it's announced that Mullen has some sort of special condiment that will be available at concessions, then I may decide to not bother watching at all.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
A lot of the feelings and attitudes about this coaching staff and team (but mostly coaching staff) reminds me of the off season going into 2017..
I've never thought we'd go 4-8.

be basically have 10 easy wins on the schedule. If you can manage to beat Vandy, Kentucky and USCe, you win ten games at UF today.

it's never been easier in history.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I've never thought we'd go 4-8.

be basically have 10 easy wins on the schedule. If you can manage to beat Vandy, Kentucky and USCe, you win ten games at UF today.

it's never been easier in history.

The issue is if you want 9 -10 wins each year...Mullen's your Guy.

But if you ever want a shot at the SEC and/or NC...He ain't your guy.

But that's Florida today...Excellence is reserved for SAT scores and GPAs not SEC Championships

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I've got two FAU tickets that I can't use, anyone wants them let me know (they're sh*tty seats - I bought the 3-pack so I could get Alabama tickets).....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.