UF football under NCAA investigation: Marcus Castro-Walker Fired

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Trying to sort this out…please amend and correct as needed…

1. The NCAA cannot inhibit athletes from making NIL money or transferring at will.

2. Universities cannot offer financial inducements to players or recruits. (Does this include boosters?)

3. But universities CAN set up “collectives” (which is a very communist word) to provide NIL opportunities and income and to advise/coach athletes on making and managing money.

4. But the teams’ coaches, staff and administrators must not connect the players to those collectives. So the money athletes are offered is theoretically disconnected from their coaches’ evaluations of their production and potential. (This makes sense if Mertz gets an F-150 for his face on a Gainesville Ford billboard. It makes no sense if there are bidding wars as reported.)

5. Criticizing Stricklin, Napier etc. for not paying players enough, or budgeting enough for paying them, is misguided because they cannot do that (although their success depends on it.)

6. Given all of the above, there is no current path for putting players on contracts that control transferring, have non-compete clauses, etc. or induce them to commit to stay for 2-3 years. The university cannot involve the collective in any such agreements.
Financial inducements must be NIL, not pay for play. This is why you see so many more players appearing on podcasts or going to Habitat for Humanity or Childrens Hospitals, and no doubt getting "paid"/salary to do this. I assume they are doing commercials too but obviously I dont see Florida tv.

I'm going to assume we were pretty good on these fronts. it is the one thing that the Florida athletic department does well.

Nevertheless, fire Slingblade and Swishy Scott for cause.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Financial inducements must be NIL, not pay for play. This is why you see so many more players appearing on podcasts or going to Habitat for Humanity or Childrens Hospitals, and no doubt getting "paid"/salary to do this. I assume they are doing commercials too but obviously I dont see Florida tv.
The pics taken at charities goes down as advertising for said charities.

Does Florida Victorious "donate" to the charities and then the charities pay the players for NIL?

Silly.

Universities need to manage them as employees. Nationwide, identical pay structures based on progress toward degrees. No six figure salaries or Lamborghinis.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Universities need to manage them as employees. Nationwide, identical pay structures based on progress toward degrees. No six figure salaries or Lamborghinis.
this won't change anything. they will still be eligible for NIL even if they are paid "employees".

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
this won't change anything. they will still be eligible for NIL even if they are paid "employees".
I think it changes the dynamics of the "collectives" shinanagins. Eventually, there power goes away.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think it changes the dynamics of the "collectives" shinanagins. Eventually, there power goes away.
The only way to make their power "go away" would be to pay the players so much that the NIL isn't a significant factor in the decision.

For example, NFL teams pay a total of $225M a year in player salary that's under a salary cap. If a group of millionaires got together and formed a collective to throw another $20M on top of that to supplement whatever endorsement deals players are already getting it wouldn't be any more of a needle mover than telling a player he'd save 10% income tax playing in Florida vs New York.

College football teams are bringing in a lot of money, but not what the NFL teams bring in. If the NCAA authorized player salaries, the teams wouldn't be able to pay enough to make NIL insignificant.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
The only way to make their power "go away" would be to pay the players so much that the NIL isn't a significant factor in the decision.

For example, NFL teams pay a total of $225M a year in player salary that's under a salary cap. If a group of millionaires got together and formed a collective to throw another $20M on top of that to supplement whatever endorsement deals players are already getting it wouldn't be any more of a needle mover than telling a player he'd save 10% income tax playing in Florida vs New York.

College football teams are bringing in a lot of money, but not what the NFL teams bring in. If the NCAA authorized player salaries, the teams wouldn't be able to pay enough to make NIL insignificant.
I don't beleive the $$$ that are being thrown out for NIL. I also don't beleive, whatever the $$$ are, that it's sustainable. Most of this money isn't coming from advertisers, it's coming from donations. Imo, that money will dry up.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't beleive the $$$ that are being thrown out for NIL. I also don't beleive, whatever the $$$ are, that it's sustainable. Most of this money isn't coming from advertisers, it's coming from donations. Imo, that money will dry up.

They are just taking what they would normally give to the University, and giving a percentage of it to the collective. it's a tax write off

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure if you're saying you don't think it's true or you think it's unbelievable, but it's not really a stretch.

Take this article for example:

If we can raise $50M+ annually in donations to pay for facilities upgrades, why is it crazy to think those same donors would give $20M annually for better players?

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure if you're saying you don't think it's true or you think it's unbelievable, but it's not really a stretch.

If we can raise $50M+ annually in donations to pay for facilities upgrades, why is it crazy to think those same donors would give $20M annually for better players?
Brick and mortar lasts decades.

Kids last until the fall portal.

Brick and mortar is tangible and there's an end to the outlay

NIL is ever increasing with no guarantee of results and is on going, year in and year out.

Brick and mortar $$$ also goes to KNOWN sports (baseball stadium, basketball arena, Football offices).

NIL goes into a "collective" money pit with no visibility. Perhaps the MAJOR donars can specify FOOTBALL only (or whatever sport) but I know the average donation can't. I addition, if the do specify it going into a specific sport, how do they get around title IX?

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Brick and mortar lasts decades.

Kids last until the fall portal.

Brick and mortar is tangible and there's an end to the outlay

NIL is ever increasing with no guarantee of results and is on going, year in and year out.

Brick and mortar $$$ also goes to KNOWN sports (baseball stadium, basketball arena, Football offices).

NIL goes into a "collective" money pit with no visibility. Perhaps the MAJOR donars can specify FOOTBALL only (or whatever sport) but I know the average donation can't. I addition, if the do specify it going into a specific sport, how do they get around title IX?
I don’t think Title IX applies to the collectives. Where the hang up comes for schools like UF is the part of the law that “prohibits sex-based discrimination in any school or any other education program that receives funding from the federal government.”

Now if the school is actually involved in where the money goes it’s a different story.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
The NCAA and by extension, the institutions of higher learning, cannot regulate or limit moneys made from NIL, anymore than they can regulate money made by a business major working in a bank or private business. The courts have ruled that NIL is the property of the player and may even happen if said player doesn't go to college (HA). This is an example the slippery slope that the NCAA has been fighting by rule for years and those rules are not gone. I used to donate to the University but have never sent a penny to the UAA-they have enough revenue to cover legit expenses. Stopped donating to the academic side after I saw how many foreign students were on campus. I don't need to aid and abet the Chinese in educating engineers.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
I don’t think Title IX applies to the collectives. Where the hang up comes for schools like UF is the part of the law that “prohibits sex-based discrimination in any school or any other education program that receives funding from the federal government.”

Now if the school is actually involved in where the money goes it’s a different story.
You are probably right, for now. I can see the collectives being regulated by Congress under TitleIX with the provision that no male athlete recieve more for NIL endorsements than female (or LBTQetc) athletes.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
You are probably right, for now. I can see the collectives being regulated by Congress under TitleIX with the provision that no male athlete recieve more for NIL endorsements than female (or LBTQetc) athletes.
Kinda hard for them when none of it is Fed money.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
The NCAA and by extension, the institutions of higher learning, cannot regulate or limit moneys made from NIL, anymore than they can regulate money made by a business major working in a bank or private business. The courts have ruled that NIL is the property of the player and may even happen if said player doesn't go to college (HA). This is an example the slippery slope that the NCAA has been fighting by rule for years and those rules are not gone. I used to donate to the University but have never sent a penny to the UAA-they have enough revenue to cover legit expenses. Stopped donating to the academic side after I saw how many foreign students were on campus. I don't need to aid and abet the Chinese in educating engineers.
So did the NCAA abdicate their influence and abandon any structure, rules, sanity or is this what would have happened regardless(highest bidder)? And, is there any way to regulate NIL from here so that it doesn't turn into a more complete debacle of unintended consequences?

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
They can pass laws to regulate "collectives" in the interest of student-athletes. They can also pass legislation to regulate contracts dealing with NIL of student- athletes.

States can do the same.

This won't stand. and NIL wild west wont stand.

I see change coming before the end of the year. With the dust settling in 2-3 years.

Or... the death of college sports as we once knew it.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
They can pass laws to regulate "collectives" in the interest of student-athletes. They can also pass legislation to regulate contracts dealing with NIL of student- athletes.

States can do the same.
Nah.... they really can't. Supremes rules 9-0 against NCAA. A private entity can do more to limit you than a govt one can. Im not even sure what "in the interest of the student-athletes" means. Is it in their interest to make less? Hard to argue that it is.

Suoremes ruled against the idea that "amateurism" was a valid reason to limit athletes, although the NCAA only really limited athletes in two sports in one division, which was another factor the court noticed. A state trying to use the same rationale will fail just as spectacularly.

The student-athletes are never going back into the handcuffs. They will be able to leave just like an English major could if she wanted to change schools, and will be able to seek whatever income they can find.

It is a reality you are going to have to accept. It doesnt matter. Our team sucked under the old system too.

Bammers are the ones who are shocked. They are no longer the only teams paying players.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

Doesn’t matter. Players with any inclination of going pro ain’t coming to play for our north Georgia inbred “builder of men.”

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Nah.... they really can't. Supremes rules 9-0 against NCAA. A private entity can do more to limit you than a govt one can. Im not even sure what "in the interest of the student-athletes" means. Is it in their interest to make less? Hard to argue that it is.

Suoremes ruled against the idea that "amateurism" was a valid reason to limit athletes, although the NCAA only really limited athletes in two sports in one division, which was another factor the court noticed. A state trying to use the same rationale will fail just as spectacularly.

The student-athletes are never going back into the handcuffs. They will be able to leave just like an English major could if she wanted to change schools, and will be able to seek whatever income they can find.

It is a reality you are going to have to accept. It doesnt matter. Our team sucked under the old system too.

Bammers are the ones who are shocked. They are no longer the only teams paying players.
If amateurism cant be saved, then college sports is dead.

It's only a matter of time before all kinds of nefarious $$$ enters into it.

Of course, schools don't HAVE to have scholarship sports or any sports.

What about HS athletes?

They get NIL too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.