Recruiting UF Number Five on Rivals

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
WE ARE FILLING NEEDS.... No matter how many times you refuse to acknowledge that. WE NEED NUMBERS, and we're getting players we NEED that Mac deems as talented and COACHABLE.

We are still heavily in the mix for some high 4 and 5 star guys. We'll get some of them and miss on some of them. But in the end we will grab a few more 4 and 5 stars which apparently, will be the only ones worth a shhiitt according to you.

In the meantime quit acting like a...

200.gif

You can't use logic here. I'm pretty sure that isn't allowed. Several of us have tried to explain there are only so many 4 and 5 star players out there. Some of those are going to stay home to be close to mommy and daddy. Nothing will change their minds. Some of them are dedicated to a certain school because they've been fans all their lives. Nothing will change their minds. There's only so many 4-5 star players left willing to be flipped. We need depth desperately. Sometimes you just gotta try to find the best 3* athletes that you think will fit into your system, have the character you demand from your players, and appear coachable, to fill your VERY depleted roster with some much needed depth. But you know, sometimes the bigger picture is just way too difficult for the average low information fan to fathom.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
You can't use logic here. But you know, sometimes the bigger picture is just way too difficult for the average low information fan to fathom.

... so 5*s enlarge the picture ?

G8RATL

Master of My Domain
Aug 14, 2015
The 4 and 5 * generally commit later in the process so we need to keep filing up on the next level than put the icing on the cake with the higher star guys.

TaterGator

Mmmm Taters
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2014
You can't use logic here. I'm pretty sure that isn't allowed. Several of us have tried to explain there are only so many 4 and 5 star players out there. Some of those are going to stay home to be close to mommy and daddy. Nothing will change their minds. Some of them are dedicated to a certain school because they've been fans all their lives. Nothing will change their minds. There's only so many 4-5 star players left willing to be flipped. We need depth desperately. Sometimes you just gotta try to find the best 3* athletes that you think will fit into your system, have the character you demand from your players, and appear coachable, to fill your VERY depleted roster with some much needed depth. But you know, sometimes the bigger picture is just way too difficult for the average low information fan to fathom.

Couldn't have said it better myself

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014

You know logic doesnt work here. There are way too many cliff jumpers that just want company. Geeze...

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Love the way recruiting is going. Can't wait for the next few weeks when EE have to commit. We may be in for some nice surprises.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Love the way recruiting is going. Can't wait for the next few weeks when EE have to commit. We may be in for some nice surprises.
Yup...If we can somehow eek out a win in our bowl game I think maybe a few prima donna's that aren't EE's might jump on the train also to avoid getting left out in the cold by the staff....

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
In before someone says we are highly ranked due to quantity, not quality.

It's the truth. However we are in the hunt for a crap ton of big-time players. It'll even itself out. We will end up having a couple de-commits down the line.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
But wait.. you shouldn't listen to Rivals.. it's ESPN .. er.. no.. scout.. er.. 247... whichever one has us lowest.

I'm pretty sure that the message has always been to only look at Rivals. Regardless of how you want to twist the message.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
It is the most 3 star heavy class we've had in years...maybe ever. The truth we are highly ranked because of quantity. No matter how times you post one liners on here...it doesn't change.
Well go hit the recruiting trails then, ass champion, and see if you can get us some 4 and 5* talent.

Surely it's as simple as showing up and saying "Hey 17 year old kid, move hundreds, maybe thousands of miles away from your family and friends to play football for us."

I'd rather have 20 3 stars then no one at all.

See: Mac's o-line depth chart when he took over.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Same people who complained about lack of numbers under Muschamp, now complain about getting numbers under McElwain.

Lets look at some data...

The average number of 5* athletes the last 15 years, 29 (1.1% of players who sign LOI)
The average number of 4* athletes the last 15 years, 352 (approximately 12.7%)
3* are 43.0% of the the LOI signers athletes over 1300 on average
2* Athetes are 43.2% of the the LOI signers almost 1400 on average

So since it's so easy to get the 5* and 4* in mass. If we have approximately 32 scholarships due to limited roster. And 128 D1 FBS schools and each having their own fanbase and needs. As far as a numbers game but with 11 4* currently (composite rankings) and a few spots available it could be a pretty decent class.

This belly aching sounds a lot like last year, where everyone was saying that McElwain couldn't close last year and our recruiting class would be in the 70s. What happened then. It's not even January yet. Some people on here like to complain to complain.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
But wait.. you shouldn't listen to Rivals.. it's ESPN .. er.. no.. scout.. er.. 247... whichever one has us lowest.
Not at all. Actually, Rivals tends to have kids from the SE ranked higher. They don't go out of their way to give some kid from Idaho or Connecticut a 5th star just to prove "they don't have a southern bias".

Rivals top class numbers also coincide almost exactly with NC teams. Scouts is horrible on that front.

Being top 5 in rivals now is pretty good considering how much cannon fodder our depth problems force us to take.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Scout doesn't count because reasons.

/trex and law
Rivals is better, no doubt, but Thompson is going to be a big, bad Gator, no doubt. I can't wait to see him in O&B.

Rivals doesn't "re-evaluate" every month like Scout does. It may still happen with camps coming up.

I really like what I've seen of Lamical Perrine also.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
WE ARE FILLING NEEDS.... No matter how many times you refuse to acknowledge that. WE NEED NUMBERS, and we're getting players we NEED that Mac deems as talented and COACHABLE.
Give me two inside backers (three even better) and a kicker and I'll be happy.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Same people who complained about lack of numbers under Muschamp, now complain about getting numbers under McElwain.

Lets look at some data...

The average number of 5* athletes the last 15 years, 29 (1.1% of players who sign LOI)
The average number of 4* athletes the last 15 years, 352 (approximately 12.7%)
3* are 43.0% of the the LOI signers athletes over 1300 on average
2* Athetes are 43.2% of the the LOI signers almost 1400 on average

So since it's so easy to get the 5* and 4* in mass. If we have approximately 32 scholarships due to limited roster. And 128 D1 FBS schools and each having their own fanbase and needs. As far as a numbers game but with 11 4* currently (composite rankings) and a few spots available it could be a pretty decent class.

This belly aching sounds a lot like last year, where everyone was saying that McElwain couldn't close last year and our recruiting class would be in the 70s. What happened then. It's not even January yet. Some people on here like to complain to complain.

Whose averages are these? UF? Bama? SEC? Or just a general average?

Because to my knowledge you have never followed recruiting and for you to all of a sudden jump up and pretend like you know everything about recruiting is pretty pretentious.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Whose averages are these? UF? Bama? SEC? Or just a general average?

Because to my knowledge you have never followed recruiting and for you to all of a sudden jump up and pretend like you know everything about recruiting is pretty pretentious.

Still don't.. The numbers are general population from the last 15 years. But when it comes to raw data that is in most cases already in a format that can be pumped into excel, it is easy to process and kick out.

They are for the number of athletes graded who signed LOI's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator