UF's empty ballpark is 2021 Ballpark of the Year

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Whether or not we should have built it is one thing. Bang for the buck doesn't seem too bad:

Jacksonville's ball park, built in 2002 for 34M. Seats 6,000.

0f8b846740137dd97a6494a74ef30d40.jpg
I went to the old one a few times and enjoyed it. Hot dogs were good. Their name was also good: "Suns".

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I went to the old one a few times and enjoyed it. Hot dogs were good. Their name was also good: "Suns".

They changed the name when they got triple A to The Jumbo Shrimp. I kid you not. If I were on that team I'm not sure I could take the field and stop laughing.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Good old Sam Wolfson Stadium. The old field saw players like Tom Seiver, Nolan Ryan, Bobby US Bonds, etc. come through that Suns organization over the years. Good times and good memories.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Foley is to blame for outdated football facilities, not baseball. The cost would have been significantly less if it would have been constructed 20 years ago instead of wasting money on multiple McKethan upgrades. Anybody with a brain knew that McKethan needed to move in order to upgrade football facilities 20 years ago or more. For anybody to claim that the baseball team could have played at some high school or municipal facility is the apex of ignorance.

Gator baseball player Pete Alonso won the National League Rookie of the year a couple of years ago, he was the MVP of the all-star game and has won the World Series Home Run Derby 2 years in a row. Also, Johnathan India won the National League Rookie of the year this year. Gator baseball is the number one program in the country over the past ten years. The fact that any posters here are ignorant enough to blame Foley's failure on baseball is unbelievable! You must be mixing Canadian whiskey with Jack Daniels. YUCK!!!!

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Settle down there, Bull. :lol: The only blame being pointed at baseball is for having been in the wrong place at the wrong time. Trust me when I say that everyone knows who’s to blame.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Settle down there, Bull. :lol: The only blame being pointed at baseball is for having been in the wrong place at the wrong time. Trust me when I say that everyone knows who’s to blame.

What stinks is as good as we have been...Title IX keeps them from Full Scholarships...maybe NIL will help?

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
What stinks is as good as we have been...Title IX keeps them from Full Scholarships...maybe NIL will help?

I had not given much thought about NIL apart from football but that is a great point. It may help us to improve on our already top notch signing classes

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
My father in law (92) likes the base ball games, slower paced and he can squeeze a nap in without missing any action. ;) He is pretty broken down at this point and could never attend a bb or fb and negotiate the people. He just likes all things UF (graduated in 50’s) . He was trying to go to a couple a year. I highly doubt he can make out the players let alone see the ball.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Foley is to blame for outdated football facilities, not baseball. The cost would have been significantly less if it would have been constructed 20 years ago instead of wasting money on multiple McKethan upgrades. Anybody with a brain knew that McKethan needed to move in order to upgrade football facilities 20 years ago or more. For anybody to claim that the baseball team could have played at some high school or municipal facility is the apex of ignorance.

Gator baseball player Pete Alonso won the National League Rookie of the year a couple of years ago, he was the MVP of the all-star game and has won the World Series Home Run Derby 2 years in a row. Also, Johnathan India won the National League Rookie of the year this year. Gator baseball is the number one program in the country over the past ten years. The fact that any posters here are ignorant enough to blame Foley's failure on baseball is unbelievable! You must be mixing Canadian whiskey with Jack Daniels. YUCK!!!!
IDC.gif

Neither does 95% of the fan base.

Baseball took what was given to them by Football. Can't condemn them for that. But, damn. You could say thank you. Instead it's "We deserve it". Well you don't. Certainly not $65M worth. And you act like playing in an alternate location is unthinkable. Yet many college and pro teams have played in alternate locations while facilities are built. God forbid Baseball be inconvenienced so the golden Football goose can lay more eggs.
So is it irrational to blame Baseball and by proxy, you. Maybe. But it is certainly fun.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I will no doubt never make a special trip to go to a UF baseball game. (The only one I did go to at McKethan was an occasion where I happened to be in town with nothing to do. It was a beautiful spring day and a good experience. It was also one of the last games played there as COVID hit shortly afterwards.) Having said that, if I lived in the greater Gainesville area, I’d probably be a regular at games. The product on the field is excellent and it’s great on a nice/evening.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014

Neither does 95% of the fan base.

Baseball took what was given to them by Football. Can't condemn them for that. But, damn. You could say thank you. Instead it's "We deserve it". Well you don't. Certainly not $65M worth. And you act like playing in an alternate location is unthinkable. Yet many college and pro teams have played in alternate locations while facilities are built. God forbid Baseball be inconvenienced so the golden Football goose can lay more eggs.
So is it irrational to blame Baseball and by proxy, you. Maybe. But it is certainly fun.

I thought you were mixing your Canadian whiskey with jack daniels but now I think you are just drinking straight antifreeze :stickpoke:
But after watching Gator football since Addazio the Magnificent led our offense I am offering to buy the next round.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
Serious question (foolish I know): Why all the hate for baseball? (It seems pretty widespread, so this is not directed at you.). The best place to build the new football facility is next to the practice fields and the IPF, as well as close to BHG. The problem was McKethan was occupying the ideal spot.

I don’t see another solution other than building a new baseball stadium in a different part of campus. (Unless of course some wanted to drop baseball.) Did UF decide to spend a lot and build a nice ball park? Sure sounds like it. (I’ve not been there and only saw one game at the old one.) Like just about everything else that gets built on a college campus, it will never really pay for itself.

The new football facility “sounds” like it will be pretty good and they’ve left themselves space for any future additions/improvements. Next on the list is housing and they’ve already announced plans to demolish Trusler Hall - coincidentally the freshman year home of both my son and Mrs G - to build a nice athletic dorm. (The renderings look pretty cool.)

I fully agree with everybody who says it has taken way too long to accomplish these things and that the lack of top notch facilities has contributed to the lack of sustained football success over the last 10+ years - though a reasonable argument could be made that with the last three Coach M’s it might not have mattered - but why does that mean a nice baseball stadium is a bad thing? (I’ve only driven past it but the relatively new softball stadium looks pretty nice too.)

Football is what pays for everything else and at UF, and every D1 school really, it should be the top priority, but sometimes certain factors beyond anyones control will cause it to have to wait to get what they want.
The UAA can say this a million times and it still won't be true. There were plenty of other options that would have gotten football what it needed sooner and at a lower cost. Could have built on the site of the track, could have built the two story building that was in the mix back in 2015, could have moved the entire football facility to the site of the new BB stadium, could have built in President's park and yes, the baseball team could have played one season in temporary facilities (if an NFL team can do it, a non-revenue college program sure can). I could go on and on. All would have cost less than the $150M we spent on the baseball stadium and football facility combined, and all could have been completed years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator