TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Bullag8r;n84999 said:
Originally posted by NVGator View Post

That's a good lean and well deserving. With the said coach, you are just going to get polar opposite opinions based on personal feelings.

Either way, you could bring in a Bell or Leipold and be that CEO and then hire outstanding talent around you with the experience of the SEC or Top 5 Conf.

We agree

This is the main part of this thread. Whoever it may be that is what UF is missing. No matter who it is that is selected UF is missing that HC that has the CEO mentality of how to run the ship. We all want someone that has experience and those areas, Just many of us differ on the type of experience wether it be HC, OC, etc. But the main key is the ability to run the organization. Many times great leaders surround themselves with great talent. Definitely at this point a great leader is what UF is lacking.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
ReelGatorDoc;n85066 said:
At least nobody is mentioning Charlie Weis

For sure. He's no cheeseburger in paradise.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
I'm not sure that there is one candidate who would be a unanimous home run amongst fans and experts. I don't envision any successful NFL coach (current or former) taking the job. There are arguments against all the popular names in the discussion (Mullen, Stoops, etc.)

I like a lot of what I've seen/heard about Gary Patterson at TCU. They have struggled some since entering the Big 12 but he has limited resources to compete with the OU's of the conference. He's been there 12 years so perhaps he's like Chris Peterson and enjoys the niche he's built there and wouldn't leave.

I would agree with those who are advocating for a search committee of more than one. Absolutely against anyone without successful head coaching experience. No more up and coming coordinators!

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n84890 said:
If they strike out with all the big names I don't think it would be a bad idea to hire Chad Morris . Especially if he can bring clemsons d coordinator Brent venables with him.(Bob stoops dc for 11 years). Those guys recruit well and both have been winners their entire career . I know he doesn't have head coaching experience but he's hands down the best up and coming OC with a pedigree identical to art briles, Gus malzhoun, and Hugh freeze. This would be my back up.

Venables is TERRIBLE!!!!!!!

Our defensive staff is good / great. We have a lot of young starters in but they will come around as the season goes on. Plus, this defensive staff is full of GREAT recruiters.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n85016 said:
Frieze is home at Ole Miss. We have a better chance at Mullen. Listen to Frieze after the Bama game. He's not leaving.

And, he is recruiting well at Ole Miss. Florida needs Freeze way more than Freeze needs Florida.

Mullen on the other hand has not been so successfull in recruiting at State. He knows the type of recruits he can get at UF.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
I think that the next coach has to have Gator ties. I am not saying a former player (would be perfered), but at least someone who was a Gator in some form. We need someone that wants to win not for their job, but wants to win becasue at heart they are a Gator. I was thinking that person (if we can get him) would be Brian Schottenheimer. He is doing well right now with the Rams so I know it's a long shot,and if he does well he will be gone in a coupe of years back to the NFL. However, I think that is the basket we should put our eggs in, and if not him I am all about bringing Dan Mullen back to Gainesville. On a side note I wouldn't mind seeing Kerwin Bell as an OC choice either.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Homer J;n85092 said:
Venables is TERRIBLE!!!!!!!

Our defensive staff is good / great. We have a lot of young starters in but they will come around as the season goes on. Plus, this defensive staff is full of GREAT recruiters.

Their defense instantly got better when he got there

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NCOGator;n85112 said:
Originally posted by Kyng
I wouldn't mind Jim Tressel, Dana Holgerson, or Rich Rod personally.

NO TO ALL OF THOSE!!!!!
Agreed.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
chferg;n84936 said:
Hey guys were forgetting one thing...we still have to fire Dawgs*** and it's looking like it's not happening tomorrow or this week.
that's right. Fooley will hang in with the chump til the end of the season unless he's fired first and I'll vote for that.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
oxking;n85122 said:
that's right. Fooley will hang in with the chump til the end of the season unless he's fired first and I'll vote for that.

At this point I would too. There is nothing good about delaying what needs to be done in this case. There is a lot of poison building up in this program. The longer he waits the worse it will get.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I expected a Zook-like firing today. Fired but finishing the season. Possible reasons for not firing today may be 1) a commitment Foley made to Muschamp and/or Roper to give them the full season or 2) as soon as Muschamp is fired, every possible candidate will be pounded with questions about taking the job. That is an aggravation and torment that the hopeful candidates don't want to deal with at this point of the season. Mullen is already getting those questions and Muschamp hasn't even been fired yet. When WM gets fired, ignorant sportswriters will interrogate everybody including Nick Saban about being interested in or offered the job.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
NCOGator;n85105 said:
I think that the next coach has to have Gator ties. I am not saying a former player (would be perfered), but at least someone who was a Gator in some form. We need someone that wants to win not for their job, but wants to win becasue at heart they are a Gator. I was thinking that person (if we can get him) would be Brian Schottenheimer. He is doing well right now with the Rams so I know it's a long shot,and if he does well he will be gone in a coupe of years back to the NFL. However, I think that is the basket we should put our eggs in, and if not him I am all about bringing Dan Mullen back to Gainesville. On a side note I wouldn't mind seeing Kerwin Bell as an OC choice either.
Ouch.

1) Forget limiting our options to this "Gator ties" requirement nonsense. That's how we ended up with Zook AND Muschamp. Meyer had no Gator ties and we won 2 titles. Saban had no Bama ties - do you think they care? Let's get a good coach, I couldn't care less if they've never set foot in the state of Florida.

2) Brian Schottenheimer has been a disaster as an OC for multiple NFL teams now. The Jets ran him out of town on a rail - their offenses stunk to high heaven. He had to get an armored car just to get out of the state alive. His Rams offenses have been equally unimaginative and lousy. Frankly, I'm surprised he's still employed as an OC in the NFL. He also has no head coaching experience AND has the stench of his choke-under-pressure, loser father all over him. According to my calculations, I estimate that between 60 and 78 percent of the Gator Nation would eat the gun if he were hired. Most of the rest would explore alternate methods of suicide because they don't like guns.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Lmao ox I just about pissed myself

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Zinger there by Ox.

Although it would be nice to have Gator Ties with the new coach but in the end you have to get the best available. Who says the new guy who doesn't have UF ties can't build a staff with UF ties. I would support a HC with a UF affiliation but in the end it has bit us in the arse enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator