Up-Tempo/Fast Break Offense

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
The Original DC said:
I read somewhere that Roper suggested we go faster but Muschamp said no because he was concerned about, get this, "the defense being put in a bad position." I guess the concern was that if we went too fast, the defense would have given up 800 yards instead of 650.
In his post-game presser Saturday he said "we're going to simplify some things." Sounds like dismantling Roper's plan. And a good dose of passive-aggressive "it's the player's fault this isn't working".

GIGator

Founding Member
No One Important!
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
One of the Reporters for another site said that he was sitting in the press box, against the wall that separates the coaches from the reporters and he heard Roper and the other coaches yelling for Jeff to throw the ball, which he did - 10 seconds too late. It sounded like Roper was very upset with Jeff and was very animated. I just don't think Jeff has the mental faculties to run a fast-tempo offense. Hell, he misses obvious blitzes when he has 10 minutes to evaluate the defense.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
GIGator;n58471 said:
One of the Reporters for another site said that he was sitting in the press box, against the wall that separates the coaches from the reporters and he heard Roper and the other coaches yelling for Jeff to throw the ball, which he did - 10 seconds too late. It sounded like Roper was very upset with Jeff and was very animated. I just don't think Jeff has the mental faculties to run a fast-tempo offense. Hell, he misses obvious blitzes when he has 10 minutes to evaluate the defense.

It really seemed to me that they lost confidence in Jeff. He looked lost out there. I also think that since the offense couldn't get a first down they didn't run the up tempo. I'd like to think if they started moving the ball, they would have started going faster, but that never happened. I think Bama had more TDs than we had first downs.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The one thing I want to see up tempo is Jeremy Foley up tempoing his search for our new coach.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Gator87 said:
The one thing I want to see up tempo is Jeremy Foley up tempoing his search for our new coach.
I keep getting the feeling that you think Muschamp should be replaced.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GIGator;n58471 said:

I can believe it. Heck in practice he was always getting on Driskel to make a decision and to get the ball out. I always got the feeling in those interviews when he was talking Driskel up in the mental part of the game he knew inside there were major issues there.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator87 said:
What gives you that idea? :)

Mudd

Lurker
Aug 19, 2014
Gator Fever said:
GIGator;n58471 said:

I can believe it. Heck in practice he was always getting on Driskel to make a decision and to get the ball out. I always got the feeling in those interviews when he was talking Driskel up in the mental part of the game he knew inside there were major issues there.
For the life of me I don't know why WM can't see this........ :gah:

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The only excuse which is sort of acceptable is that we lost an Oline or two during the game and just didn't have the bodies to keep up the pace.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
CaribGator;n58731 said:
The only excuse which is sort of acceptable is that we lost an Oline or two during the game and just didn't have the bodies to keep up the pace.

A number of pieces have been shifting in that offensive linemen, with a true freshmen at left tackle. Uptempo against Alabama was probably not a good idea. We didn't have the bodies for it, and the secondary definitely needed the rest.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
CaribGator;n58731 said:

Well, you aren't required to throw the ball three steps beyond the receiver or into the cheerleaders while running the fast break offense. You can actually complete some passes, move the chains, and let the defense rest.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What up tempo, fast break offense... Duke?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Speaking of practice reports. Here was a typical one during camp without the pay site fluff to it.

"Straight to FG kicking Hardin wide right on first attempt."

"Kelvin Taylor in the pit right now tossing a medicine ball, BTW."

"Looks like Bullard pulling a sled in the pit too."

"Chris Thompson with a drop on 12-yard dig on air."

"Now 2 DL vs. 3 OL. Fowler blows by Moore inside cut."

"Maye breaks up great throw down right sideline to Fulwood at last second. Fulwood had it in his hands for maybe a second before it came out. He has to catch that."

"Ivie with a sack on Mornhinweg."

"Sherit with sack after beating Sharpe, Grier the QB."

"Willis sacks Grier after beating Mike"

"Goolsby gets head around late on short out from Driskel, can't make catch on low throw."

"Robinson with a drop on a simple out, Muschamp laying into Keanu Neal"

"Driskel uncorks one after Fulwood burns Tabor, but Driskel overthrows it. Tabor has been rough so far this fall, to me."

"Deep ball has been lacking today. Throwing it, just very few connections. Grier too high for Worton over the middle on a deep cross."

"Orr beats Riles inside for a sack. Treon in now."

"Muschamp mad at Tabor, lighting into him"

"Driskel way high on deep throw to Dunbar. Dunbar tried to sit on it with a safety coming over the top"

"WRs v DBs. Robinson drops a slant that hits him in the hands. Pittman called for pushoff on Maye. Driskel too low for Fulwood on a flag route well covered by Hargreaves. Mornhinweg too long on fly for Thompson. Neal with a near pick on a late throw on curl from Mornhinweg to Showers"

"Same thing from the 6-yard line now. Robinson can't hang into fade. Neal swats away a fade to Pittman. Both of those to the left side. Poole picks off Mornhinweg on fade to Fulwood. Harris breaks up short curl for Ajagbe. Tabor flagged for PI on fade for Andrades. Burton drops a little hitch after Grier puts it in the perfect spot in tight coverage. Grier very sharp today."

"Bullard sack after beating Brown. Nice throw by Drskel, though it was a very obvious sack."

"Treon deep ball to end zone for Thompson, Jackson could not have had more perfect coverage"

"Powell and Willis with a pressure for a sack."

"Cox gets in for a sack. Second team OL struggling."

"Tabor with a diving pick on fourth down to end the drill. Morrison goes over and tackles him celebrating. Great play by Tabor. Dove and managed to tip it up to himself and caught it on his back."

"Driskel overthrows a deep corner route with Poole in coverage"

"Mornhinweg stares down Fulwood, giving Washington time to break up the post over the middle"

"Driskel pulls one down with everyone covered. Overthrows a route on the left side, Washington couldn't come up with the diving pick"

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78 said:
CaribGator;n58731 said:

A number of pieces have been shifting in that offensive linemen, with a true freshmen at left tackle. Uptempo against Alabama was probably not a good idea. We didn't have the bodies for it, and the secondary definitely needed the rest.
Secondary needed a rest? They had two 1 play drives to start the game (1 a Bama TD & 1 a fumble), not to mention another 1 play drive later in the first half.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78 said:
CaribGator;n58731 said:

So you take exception to that, but not the fact we were shuffling linemen? In the second half the secondary needed the rest and the coaches there pointing out what needed to be done to fix the problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator