Update on the IPF

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Should be ready for the team by August 22. Will be air conditioned.

[video=youtube;57fY9XIRmT4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57fY9XIRmT4[/video]

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;255850 said:
Should be ready for the team by August 22. Will be air conditioned.

[video=youtube;57fY9XIRmT4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57fY9XIRmT4[/video]

That's awesome. The rain has been crazy for the last several weeks. This is critical to allow our players to actually practice.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I want them practicing in the heat, humidity, and yes, even the rain.

We're going to play in it, we need to practice in it.

Some of our biggest wins have been in the rain. In 1986 we upset FSU in a torrential downpour in Tallahassee. We've beaten Tennessee in the rain more than once (with the '95 game in Gainesville standing out when we came from behind to crush them and the Jabbar Gaffney disputed catch game in Knoxville a few years later), and Georgia a few times (the 1993 game when Rhett ran wild and Anthone Lott called a timeout and the 1994 game in Gainesville).

Our guys need to be confident playing in the rain--snaps, shotgun snaps, throwing and catching a wet ball, not fumbling a wet ball, long snapping, kicking, punting and fielding wet balls, even tackling, running routes, changing direction on wet turf, all of it. Players need to know which cleats work best, which gloves work best, how slick jerseys get, how the ball carries differently, everything.

Before that 1993 Georgia game, Danny was the starter. He had smaller hands and didn't throw a wet ball as well as the backup. Spurrier went with the backup and we won (mostly because of Rhett but that's beside the point).

Of course, lightning is the exception. Any lightning within 20 miles and we go inside.

Alex.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Well at least Muschamp can stop negative recruiting us by pointing out we didn't have an IPF.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
AlexDaGator;255875 said:
I want them practicing in the heat, humidity, and yes, even the rain.

We're going to play in it, we need to practice in it.

Some of our biggest wins have been in the rain. In 1986 we upset FSU in a torrential downpour in Tallahassee. We've beaten Tennessee in the rain more than once (with the '95 game in Gainesville standing out when we came from behind to crush them and the Jabbar Gaffney disputed catch game in Knoxville a few years later), and Georgia a few times (the 1993 game when Rhett ran wild and Anthone Lott called a timeout and the 1994 game in Gainesville).

Our guys need to be confident playing in the rain--snaps, shotgun snaps, throwing and catching a wet ball, not fumbling a wet ball, long snapping, kicking, punting and fielding wet balls, even tackling, running routes, changing direction on wet turf, all of it. Players need to know which cleats work best, which gloves work best, how slick jerseys get, how the ball carries differently, everything.

Before that 1993 Georgia game, Danny was the starter. He had smaller hands and didn't throw a wet ball as well as the backup. Spurrier went with the backup and we won (mostly because of Rhett but that's beside the point).

Of course, lightning is the exception. Any lightning within 20 miles and we go inside.

Alex.

I'm not sure whether you live in Florida or not. But in Tampa we actually have cars floating down the road. The flooding has been a mess. You can't practice in that.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Now he points and says we are afraid of playing outside in the real weather?

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
AlexDaGator;n255875 said:

Alex.

I agree. Practicing in the elements is important, but so is not losing practice time to lightning like we have in the past. Plus a showpiece for recruits can't hurt.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Also a nice touch in recruiting to be able to tell a Mother that we have the option of an indoor practice if there are any heatstroke concerns when the forecast is really hot.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
TLB;n255891 said:
Now he points and says we are afraid of playing outside in the real weather?

Nah man.

We do practice and will continue to practice in the rain.

The IPF is for lightning and for those really torrential downpours.

It may also be used as a motivational tool (whichever team wins this goal line stand exercise can practice tomorrow in the IPF while the other team suffers) or to simulate a dome environment (climate controlled, low humidity).

It's important to acclimate to those settings as well.

Alex.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
We can be safe and keep up with the Joneses. Win-Win

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
aka;n255969 said:
We can be safe and keep up with the Joneses. Win-Win

Who are the Joneses? They wouldn't happen to have a couple of sons, Jimmy and Joe, would they?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This IPF will make "practices closed to the public" a natural. Won't the practices on artificial turf involve more injuries and
a surface that reacts differently than what we will actually be playing on. I hope we practice outside frequently. Do we still
have an outside practice field ?

Darthgator

Aug 18, 2014
I'm pretty sure an indoor facility won't make a football player afraid of practicing in the heat. Florida is becoming a red headed step child of the SEC so at least we won't be one of the only major programs not to have our facilities up to par.

Darthgator

Aug 18, 2014
PatDooleySucks;n255886 said:
I remember all those games Meyer and Spurrier lost because they didn't have an IPF.

just like all those outdoor practices made the muschamp and zook teams wayyy tougher than the opponent.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
rogdochar;n256010 said:
This IPF will make "practices closed to the public" a natural. Won't the practices on artificial turf involve more injuries and
a surface that reacts differently than what we will actually be playing on. I hope we practice outside frequently. Do we still
have an outside practice field ?

You didn't watch the video did you? ;)

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Sound pretty sweet. 120 yard full field kicks azz. I thought the first plans were for like a 60 yard half field. Are all the IPF in the SEC full size like this or are some mini-fields?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator