Updated: Suspended Players Update #1003

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
My wallet was stolen about three weeks ago from my car. In the span of about 12 hours they racked up thousands of dollars in credit card charges. It was a nightmare for me for about three days to get it all resolved. We have great police in Tampa and they've been all over it and I had to hunt down where the card was being used Where they pulled camera footage.

So why would the feds be involved? It's normally because it's part of a larger scheme. It was explained to me that normally you have a couple kids on the ground that steal the cards but it's a much larger, sinister network. And it's very difficult to gain traction to prosecute.

I don't think the feds are looking to prosecute these players. They are looking to lean on them to find out how they got the credit card information to get to the root of whatever network they used.

Due to credit cards having such robust anti-fraud/no responsibility programs a lot of these kids think these are victimless crimes. They aren't. It was an absolute nightmare for me. It's also why it's one of the reasons in larger cities that police forces take reports but don't do much else.

Yep the smaller cases like these never even get prosecuted many times if the amount is under 2,000 dollars or so especially if the criminal and the victim live in different states. Most counties in Florida are probably more proactive than the rest of the country in prosecuting smaller cases where the criminal did the actual crime while residing in Florida. I bet the bigger areas in states like California and New York would laugh if you asked them to prosecute on a case where the criminal lived in their state and the amount was under 2,000 dollars or so claiming they don't have the resources to do all the work required for that amount.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Most counties in Florida are probably more proactive than the rest of the country in prosecuting smaller cases
it is actually the opposite, quite the opposite. The permissive attitude in Florida, especially in South Florida, is exactly why most of these rings operate there I suspect.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
it is actually the opposite, quite the opposite. The permissive attitude in Florida, especially in South Florida, is exactly why most of these rings operate there I suspect.

I agree about Dade and Broward etc. but some of the northern and central counties and my county here in FL will pursue most anything usually it seems. That S FL area is totally different like you say however - more like the big lefty areas.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
will pursue most anything usually it seems..
Yeah it's kind of a hot-button thing. prosecutors hate it, judges hate it, people in the clerk's office hate it, jurors HATE it. It seems almost everyone has had a card stolen and theybare fed up with it.

Last edited:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
GIGator, sorry that you had such a physical load to bear. I admire your resilience of spirit. I know such will nurture your steady healing. Superglad to have you back.

I would guess that ithese crimes rise to the Federal level due to it being an "attack" on all cc-companies and on the banking system of sorts. Awhile back, I was told that illegally using a cc falls under a "wire-fraud" crime, which originated as a Federal crime.

Imagine letting this crime rise to the frequency level that the general population (the victim pool) hear enough horror stories that cc ownership drops or finance institutes have to spend a higher & higher % of their profits hiring more people just to look for incoming suspicious charges & phone the consumer to check it out. In fact, an entire industry has sprung up that cc consumers pay for extra protection against fraud.

Actually, getting such info for illegal profit is really not much different from burglarizing someone's home. Some of the mentions here speak of the "legwork" involved, but there is a stretch of time where the victim is subjected to a tsunami of fear (worry), anger, powerlessness, perhaps to the point where you want to call in Charles Bronson to handle it. These theives make you feel like you're under the scope of a financial sniper.
It is a violation of personal property ownership.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2015
It is even worse when international fraud is involved. My young grandson was in Ibeza,Spain in April and fortunately because he checks frequently, he immediately caught a fraudulent charge and contacted Sun Trust who advised he would have to go thru "international" channels, etc. to report and cancel the card. He did not lose his card and suspects it was either a bartender in one of the clubs or waiter in one of the restaurants who took down the number, etc. As he no longer could charge on his card,he went thru the American Embassy in Barcelona who helped him set up an account so his parents could wire money. It took 3 months to totally clear up.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
On May 21st, I fell 18' and broke my back in three places; 4 ribs; jaw; right hand; dislocated my left knee; bruised my heart; punctured my right lung and cracked 6 teeth, after getting too close to the edge and forgetting which way to walk. ;-) I walked out of the hospital 2 days later and the Doctor told me that I must have snuck some serious drugs in. I said, "Yes, mind over matter". That's why I haven't been online this season. I keep hoping I'll get back on the field, but, there seems to be hidden banana peels all over the place.

Wow! Sorry for your injury. I'm glad that you're recovering and can participate with us! Heal up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.