Urban Meyer stepping down after Rose Bowl

PCGatorAlum

Lifetime Member
Feb 1, 2017
Uh, he brought some pretty good players to Florida, players coaches like Zook weren't going to land.

My opinion is that we don't win any NC's had Spurrier returned. It was a different SEC.
I disagree but we are discussing hypotheticals which means no one is really right or wrong. Spurrier also did really well at SC which tells me he would have done much better at Florida.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Uh, he brought some pretty good players to Florida, players coaches like Zook weren't going to land.

My opinion is that we don't win any NC's had Spurrier returned. It was a different SEC.
Conjecture. You don't know that. His last team, 2001, was damn good. Bama didn't come on until 2009. He might have done the trick another time.

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
Yep. If it weren’t for Urban, we’d be stuck with 13 years of mediocrity and no end in sight as Mullen wouldn’t be our current coach. We certainly owe a lot to Urban, as does the GPD since Urban helped fulfill their arrest quota :)

PCGatorAlum

Lifetime Member
Feb 1, 2017
Conjecture. You don't know that. His last team, 2001, was damn good. Bama didn't come on until 2009. He might have done the trick another time.
And would have been better if the Administration had helped him get the guys in he wanted.

PCGatorAlum

Lifetime Member
Feb 1, 2017
What do you mean by that?
Spurrier tried to recruit a big lineman from South Florida but our admin would not let him in due to academics. Spurrier was real pissed about it. that guy whose name I can't remember ended up at Miami.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Uh, he brought some pretty good players to Florida, players coaches like Zook weren't going to land..
Yes. This is where myth meets fact.

Was Zook a good recruiter? Yes. Was he elite? No. Creyer and Company were much better. Hell, even SOS landed a #1 class, without Zook, and which Zook never did as HC.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Spurrier tried to recruit a big lineman from South Florida but our admin would not let him in due to academics. Spurrier was real pissed about it. that guy whose name I can't remember ended up at Miami.
I remember that. He qualified but UF admin still wouldn't let him in because he did it a day or two too late for their own policy deadline. They wouldn't waive it.

Started at Miami and beat us two years later.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
SOS wasn't returning, even if Leyer chose ND. SOS was already hired elsewhere.

If we hadn't landed Leyer, we would have gotten some other Fooley special. Jimmy Ray Stephens or some other bargain.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
SOS wasn't returning, even if Leyer chose ND. SOS was already hired elsewhere.

If we hadn't landed Leyer, we would have gotten some other Fooley special. Jimmy Ray Stephens or some other bargain.
SOS was not returning because Foley had made it clear on behalf of Machen that Meyer was the guy.

Spurrier isn't one to push things. He walked away.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
The flaw in this whole "trade" argument is that there's no real reason we had to choose in the first place. We absolutely could've had the best of both worlds. I get that we had some issues when he left. But let's be clear. Our lost decade was much more due to who Foley hired to replace Meyer, not anything Meyer personally did while here. If anything, as I've said repeatedly, he gave our AD an entire year heads up. If handled properly, we could've been just fine. Maybe we don't win national titles during that stretch. But we also don't see the lows of games like GSU or having a buffoon as the face of our program. Our ten years of crap was not entirely on Meyer. In fact, I'd say he was the least of our concerns. The program lost its way, and that started well above Urban.

Are the rabid Meyer haters closeted Chump :nuthuggers:? Are they misdirecting their hatred? Yes, Virginia.
The program wasn’t “broken” when Meyer left. That particular piece of pablum was spin initiated by the Chumpers and took on a life of its own.
Like the Mac is a quarter back whisperer trope. It’s written once then repeated ad infinitum as if it’s a fact not some douche writer’s stupidity.
The program was in great shape when Meyer left. 2 NCs in 4 years. Florida at the height of brand recognition. Hell I coulda recruited #1 ranked classes. Chump drove the program into the f’ing ground. F him in hell.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The program wasn’t “broken” when Meyer left.
It was, but Leyer was talking about Fooley. He knew what he needed (facilties and staff) to compete with Bammer and Fooley wasn't about to give it to him.

In addition to saying "the program is broken" Leyer used to also talk about "the state of college football" which the talking heads said was Bammer.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It was, but Leyer was talking about Fooley. He knew what he needed (facilties and staff) to compete with Bammer and Fooley wasn't about to give it to him.

In addition to saying "the program is broken" Leyer used to also talk about "the state of college football" which the talking heads said was Bammer.
Meyer wasn't referring to facilities when he said that. He was referring to his own shortcomings re player discipline.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Meyer wasn't referring to facilities when he said that. He was referring to his own shortcomings re player discipline.
The writers hear what they want to hear, like Bowl always hearing that the third string QB is doing great.

When Creyer took the Suckeye job, he negotiated a massive staff and certain facilities upgrades. He knew exactly what he needed to compete.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The writers hear what they want to hear, like Bowl always hearing that the third string QB is doing great.

When Creyer took the Suckeye job, he negotiated a massive staff and certain facilities upgrades. He knew exactly what he needed to compete.
To what extent did Meyer and Foley discuss facilities, esp after the circa 2008 upgrade?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
To what extent did Meyer and Foley discuss facilities, esp after the circa 2008 upgrade?
You mean when the upgraded the hall w the trophy room? I know thats what passes as facilties upgrades around here, new drywall and paint.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
You mean when the upgraded the hall w the trophy room? I know thats what passes as facilties upgrades around here, new drywall and paint.
For Chimp, they replaced some of the stained tiles in the drop-down ceiling in his office. So quit acting like Foley never did anything.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
For Chimp, they replaced some of the stained tiles in the drop-down ceiling in his office. So quit acting like Foley never did anything.
Jeez.... you got me. I forgot about the new foam tile drop ceiling and the motel 6 paneling they put in Chimp's office.

I was honestly ashamed they were proud of that and posting it on the internet.

Ive always wondered if Folley grew up in a trailer.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It was cosmetic, but it cost money. I'm more interested in your answer to the question. Or is this something you imagined? We're talking nearly a decade ago.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It was cosmetic, but it cost money. I'm more interested in your answer to the question. Or is this something you imagined? We're talking nearly a decade ago.
Who exactly do you think was pushing Fooley for more upgrades that lead to the famous "we arent getting in an arms race" comment?

Think it was the drunk twins bringing it up onntheir own?

Chump didnt bring it up anymore and they loved him for it.

Im not saying it was the only reason he left, by any means. Obviously he is having "health issues" again despite Crackumbus going 200+ million deep for him. But it was one of the problems.

I know you still wear Fooley underwear.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.