Urban vs The All-World Unstoppable Offense...will history repeat itself?

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Upon watching the semifinal games yesterday, it's logical to conclude that Oregon is the clear favorite going into the Championship next week. Mariota and the Ducks look unstoppable. Up until late last night, an Oregon championship felt imminent. But, this morning, it hit me: as dominant as Oregon looks, is it wise to ignore Meyer's history, particularly in Championship games?

Think back to 2008. Sam Bradford and the Oklahoma Sooners have clobbered virtually every team they've played with their record setting, video game-ish, uptempo offense. They're favored over the Urban Meyer coached Gators. Sound familiar?

Now, I know this OSU team doesn't have Joe Haden and Janoris Jenkins in their secondary to lock down opposing receivers, but based on what I saw last night, OSU is a physical football team that gets after QBs and is very athletic. In the same way that Oregon has the best offense that OSU will face all year, the same can probably be said about Oregon facing OSU's defense. Also, the Oregon defense isn't exceptionally good and dealing with a big QB like Jones may present problems for them.

But, above all, Meyer has not lost once he has gotten to a Championship game. He's obviously had a month in past years to prepare for a game like this, but if it is close in the 4th quarter, Meyer's experience should give the Bucknuts the edge. On paper, Oregon should blow out OSU like they blew out the Noles, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it won't play out that way. I hate to say it (mostly because we haven't really sniffed success since he's left), but Urban may just have the last laugh again. The guy just has a knack for winning these kind of games.

One thing is for certain though: next Monday night will be quite the spectacle. How do you guys think it will play out?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
His OSU team is closer to the 2006 team. He may beat Oregon but I just don't see how anybody will beat this offense That runs a play about every three seconds.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Preparation is key. How will the short turn around affect the game?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Meyer teams beat Heisman-winning QB's in championships in both 2006 and 2008. However, I think it's pretty safe to say he doesn't have the defenses those two powerhouses had.

If OSU wants to win, they need to run the ball well and control the clock, which they are more than capable of doing.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think urbs wins this one unfortunately

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If they can force turnovers like they did against Bama, then I believe they have a great shot of winning.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n142575 said:
His OSU team is closer to the 2006 team. He may beat Oregon but I just don't see how anybody will beat this offense That runs a play about every three seconds.

There are only a couple ways to beat an offense like that IMHO:

1) Get in the backfield on early downs and make tackles for loss. When they're behind schedule, they won't run plays that quickly.

2) March down the field with long, methodical TD drives and keep Mariota off the field. If they can't stop the run, you can essentially play keep-away and limit the damage their offense will do.

Creating turnovers obviously helps as well.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
oxrageous;n142577 said:
Meyer teams beat Heisman-winning QB's in championships in both 2006 and 2008. However, I think it's pretty safe to say he doesn't have the defenses those two powerhouses had.

If OSU wants to win, they need to run the ball well and control the clock, which they are more than capable of doing.

Muschamp would agree.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MidwestChomp;n142588 said:
Muschamp would agree.

Oddly enough, a Muschamp-style ball control offense is probably the best way to beat Oregon. If OSU dominates TOP to the point where Mariota goes almost a whole quarter without touching the football, they'll probably win. Crazier things have happened.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
At one point in the game Oregon had 15 minutes TOP and FSU had around 25 and Oregon was up 39-20. Not saying that isn't a solid game plan, it just doesn't always work when a team normally scores in under 2 minutes.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Is it possible, absolutely. I do think the shortened time to prepare is going to hurt both teams in the National Title game. It's hard to prepare for the offensive temp in a week and a half, unlike in both 2006 and 2008 where he had a month to prepare for the tempo. But if the defense line dominates the line of scrimage OSU could win.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I know what you mean. Oregon could very well embarrass OSU, but that would be shocking based on how good of a coach and a motivator Meyer is. I think the game will ultimately be pretty close, regardless of who wins.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The only shot they have to keep it close is to force turnovers. They forced turnovers last night, and yet Bammer managed to put 35 up on them.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
gardnerwebbalumnigator;n142621 said:
The only shot they have to keep it close is to force turnovers. They forced turnovers last night, and yet Bammer managed to put 35 up on them.

But I thought you had said OSU had no chance of beating Bama.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n142624 said:
But I thought you had said OSU had no chance of beating Bama.

I thought so, but I thought Bammer was a lot better than advertised. The whole SEC West have been paper tigers in bowl season.....it's up to UcheaT right now and us tomorrow to defend the honor of the SEC.....that's pitiful, but UcheaT looks good on their opening drive so far.

If Leyer had more than a week to prep for this one, then I might lean a bit more toward another upset. He obviously had a long time to prep for Bammer. UO does not have (1) a mediocre QB like Sims and more importantly, (2) a complete tool like Lame calling the offense. Leyer will have to rely on winning the turnover battle by a large margin and pulling off some sort of blocked kick for a score to pull the upset this time around, I just don't see Mariota ****ting the bed like that, the kid is cool and poised, he convinced me against that group of unsportsmanlike thugs from Tallacrappy yesterday. You know good and well they were hitting him late, etc., didn't phase him at all.

Free Gator

Founding Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
So pissed Urban left us. He is a hell of a coach. Hope he screws OSU like he did us

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
OboooHoooo St can win if they play ball control and have ZERO turnovers. They also have to score a TD each time they are in the red zone. If Meyer had a few more weeks to prepare I would pick them to win it.

Oregon by 10.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n142577 said:

That's still a thing?

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
heversle;n142563 said:
But, above all, Meyer has not lost once he has gotten to a Championship game.
Saban would disagree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.