Vernon Hargreaves III released by second team in 5 years

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
i was never impressed with him here, got toasted on numerous occasions, and he sucked at tampa. major bust.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
VHIII had some good games but he was overhyped here. The bar was set by Joe Haden (imo). Loved that guy. Great at run support too.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Loved that guy

giphy.gif

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
VH has made enough cash to retire comfortably (but he could be a typical young NFL retard who blows all his cash). He'll likely get another season, or another team, as CB's are valuable in the NFL. I'm guessing CJ Henderson is the next bust in a long line of UF "DBU" busts. It's funny, JC Jackson is still in the league starting for the Patriots after getting kicked out of UF.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
VHIII imo is a guy who has the head for the game but i was never impressed with him physically. Always felt like he was in the right place but never would be the guy to make a play because he wasnt fast enough or athletic enough

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
VHIII imo is a guy who has the head for the game but i was never impressed with him physically. Always felt like he was in the right place but never would be the guy to make a play because he wasnt fast enough or athletic enough
Agree. He always seemed to be in the right spot and position, but was never the guy making a great play. He wasn't a bad player; he just never seemed to live up to the 5* billing.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Agree. He always seemed to be in the right spot and position, but was never the guy making a great play. He wasn't a bad player; he just never seemed to live up to the 5* billing.

Fundamentally he was sound. He wasn't perfect and didn't have the athleticism of a Haden or Jenkins(was probably closer to Lott). But the one thing I've said about both he and Tabor when comparing them to some of the great DBs we've had here is that neither ever had the luxury of a 30-0 halftime lead. They could never play loose and just let it rip like against a team passing every play like a lot of their predecessors. Secondary guys like Weary, Bennie, Lott, Teako, JH, JJ, etc. were given a huge advantage not only in their direct defensive coaching, but also by having comfortable leads which allowed them to gamble more freely. I bet VH3 had less than 5 total games in his career where the opponent was playing from a real deficit and couldn't stay in a balanced offense. One slip or wrong gamble and you're losing a game with a nutjob on the sidelines waiting to blame you for the whole thing.

He may not have been gifted enough for the NFL, but he should've had a more impressive UF career. He and Tabor may have set records under a Spurrier or Meyer led team.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
VHIII had some good games but he was overhyped here. The bar was set by Joe Haden (imo). Loved that guy. Great at run support too.

In the last 20 years or so, Haden was good and had to learn the position. But for the money Janoris Jenkins was a better true CB.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Jenkins on Green in the 2010 uga game was an epic battle. Pick on the opening play by Janoris. Then Green was almost unstoppable and had some receptions where I don’t think JJ could have had any better coverage. Both were incredible that day.

It’s a shame Will Hill allowed Murray to catch him on the Int return, giving Grantham the stage to be his jackass self. Because Burton, Rainey and JJ all had great moments, and yet besides Henry, two knuckleheads, Hill and Grantham get most of the attention.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Not much of a story but I had a lot of classes with the football players. I walked to class with Janoris once. He was pleasant and friendly. Treated me like a fan even though I wasnt really into football then. He smelled like money and had some serious swag.

Spent some time before and after class with Rainey. Riding the bus and walking to class. He was so down to earth and very friendly. Talked to me like we were pals. I wish those two the best because they were so down to earth.

Btw, neither of them were much bigger than me and im not a big guy. Whereas guys like Jordan Reed and Trey Burton were big stocky guys. Made me respect them a lot to get in the field with guys like giants.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not much of a story but I had a lot of classes with the football players. I walked to class with Janoris once. He was pleasant and friendly. Treated me like a fan even though I wasnt really into football then. He smelled like money and had some serious swag.

Spent some time before and after class with Rainey. Riding the bus and walking to class. He was so down to earth and very friendly. Talked to me like we were pals. I wish those two the best because they were so down to earth.

Btw, neither of them were much bigger than me and im not a big guy. Whereas guys like Jordan Reed and Trey Burton were big stocky guys. Made me respect them a lot to get in the field with guys like giants.

5’9” 195?

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Well as long as he was responsible with his pay he is wealthy, most of us are not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.