Very Quietly,Florida Developing a versatile WR Corp

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
The days of the "fun and gun" that Steve Spurrier made famous in Gainesville are gone.

Long gone.

Florida hasn't produced a 1,000-yard receiver since Taylor Jacobs hauled in 71 passes for 1,088 yards in 2002—when the 2016 class was still a year shy of kindergarten.

Some of that had to do with the multi dimensional running game former head coach Urban Meyer implemented with star quarterback Tim Tebow, but the absence of game-breakers at wide receiver has become the Achilles' heel of the program for a generation—especially over the last half-decade. Only once since 2010 has Florida's team leader in receiving yards had more than 700 (Demarcus Robinson had 810 in 2014).

That could change in 2016, because very quietly, second-year head coach Jim McElwain has given himself depth, versatility and the ability to get creative with the current corps of wide receivers on the roster.

Antonio Callaway had a team-high 678 yards last year as a true freshman, including four touchdowns and 23 receptions that went for first downs. The 5'11", 198-pound sophomore from Miami missed out on freshman All-SEC honors due to breakout campaigns from Alabama's Calvin Ridley and Texas A&M's Christian Kirk, but is already considered one of the most important pieces of McElwain's puzzle.

"This is a guy that this conference is going to hear about for awhile to come, and rightfully so," McElwain said prior to the SEC Championship Game in Atlanta. "Not only what he does as a receiver, but obviously as a return guy. He's energized us and he is a true playmaker. He's a get-it-to-guy and we're going to make sure he gets his touches."

Callaway is a known commodity, as is slot weapon Brandon Powell.

The 5'9", 184-pound junior who moved from running back to receiver prior to last season caught 29 passes for 390 yards and three touchdowns a year ago, and was a big help to former quarterback Will Grier and quarterback-turned-receiverTreon Harris, who were forced to deal with offensive line issues all year.

Harris is interesting too, because the 5'11", 195-pound rising junior clearly has the athleticism to be a difference-maker, and can be used in a variety of ways by McElwain as a receiver or Wildcat quarterback who is actually a threat to throw.

What's more, three new wide receivers will be in Gainesville this spring—all of whom have the chance to make an immediate impact. Freddie Swain and Joshua Hammond are both 4-star prospects who have the ability to serve as possession receivers or threats downfield, and Dre Massey is a 5'9", 184-pound junior college speedster who givesMcElwain even more options in the slot.

"Just to see them interact and just get involved in how we go about our daily business is something that's huge,"McElwain said of the early enrollee wide receivers and fellow early enrollee quarterbacks Feleipe Franks and KyleTrask in quotes emailed by Florida. "I'm really proud of those guys. I'm proud of all those guys that chose to do a little extra work, you know, when it's a little uncomfortable to get in here and start their college careers a semester early."

Additionally, Tyrie Cleveland, a 6'2 1/2", 189-pound, 4-star prospect from Houston who was a bit of a signing day surprise, should grow into a big-time possession weapon once he gets into a college strength and conditioning program.

"He's a guy that came by this summer and always had a lot of interest in the Gators, right there in Duval County, before he moved to Texas, so he's not necessarily, you know, stuck and into the Texas part of it," McElwain said on national signing day, according to quotes emailed by Florida.

On top of those weapons, McElwain already has highly touted senior Ahmad Fulwood, who hasn't been able to put it together over three years in a stagnant offense. The 6'4", 208-pounder from Jacksonville, Florida, is a huge target with long arms, and he is joined by fellow receivers C.J. Worton, Alvin Bailey and Chris Thompson.

The combination of experience and talented newcomers should make life easy for the new quarterback—likely Franks, Luke Del Rio or Purdue transfer Austin Appleby.

Florida has been lacking playmakers outside for a full generation, but McElwain has done a very good job replenishing that cupboard over the last couple of years through recruiting and position changes. That should benefit the Gators in 2016, the players who were already in house and the eventual winner of the battle to become the starting quarterback.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...hc-jim-mcelwain-developing-versatile-wr-corps

Quotes were obtained first hand unless otherwise noted. Statistics are courtesy of CFBStats.com, and recruiting information is courtesy of 247Sports.

Barrett Sallee is the lead SEC college football writer and national college football video analyst for Bleacher Report as well as a host on Bleacher Report Radio on SiriusXM 83. Follow Barrett on Twitter @BarrettSallee.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Florida hasn't produced a 1,000-yard receiver since Taylor Jacobs hauled in 71 passes for 1,088 yards in 2002—when the 2016 class was still a year shy of kindergarten.
That is absurd. Disgusting. Embarrassing.

People around here clapped for years on end for multiple QBs who considered 150 yards of passing "a good game."

Last edited:

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Pretty shocking to see Jacobs was the last...but for that stretch in 07-09 we didn't need a 1,000 yard receiver because we had so many weapons and a very balanced run/pass offense.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Which was the better group....Ike, Reidel, etc or Percy, Riley, etc?

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Which was the better group....Ike, Reidel, etc or Percy, Riley, etc?
IMO the best receiving corps we've ever had was Doering, Reidel, Hilliard, and Green...that 95 offense was SICK!!! Next best would be Gaffney, Caldwell, Jacobs

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The 2008 squad had 5 guys in Harvin, Cooper, Murphy, Nelson and Thompson who went on to play multiple years in the NFL. That ain't too shabby either.

It's not Percy's fault that Meyer used him as a running back.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The 2008 squad had 5 guys in Harvin, Cooper, Murphy, Nelson and Thompson who went on to play multiple years in the NFL. That ain't too shabby either.

Well I wouldn't make any case for brick hands Thompson. The rest of the guys would have been stud WRs in college if given the chance in a Spurrier or McElwain style offense.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Ahmad Fullwood is a senior. Unbelievable. Talk about wasted talent. We've been clammoring for a "tall" receiver. We have two on the roster! Fullwood and Kalif Jackson...both 6'4....and have done nothing.

biggator6

Oct 2, 2014
Ahmad Fullwood is a senior. Unbelievable. Talk about wasted talent. We've been clammoring for a "tall" receiver. We have two on the roster! Fullwood and Kalif Jackson...both 6'4....and have done nothing.

I've heard of Fullwood.. who's Jackson?

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I am not familiar with the wide receiver position you talk about.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Can't really argue with the way Percy was used...he was dynamic and caused havoc lining up all over the field

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I remember not long ago dieing recruiting there was an argument on this board about needing tall WR...this is exactly the point...tall doesn't mean good and we've never seemed to land one that is.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I remember not long ago dieing recruiting there was an argument on this board about needing tall WR...this is exactly the point...tall doesn't mean good and we've never seemed to land one that is.

Well, we really haven't been targeting or landing many of them in the last 4 to 6 years. What would you consider tall? If you're looking at a 6'2 or taller there are only two in that span that I can think of: Fulwood and the QB turned receiver from Brooksville. I don't really consider 6'2 tall - but I would think that would be the cut off at minimum.

Before that, we had Murphy, Cooper, and Nelson. All over 6'3 or above. Carl Moore was a bust.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Reidel and company, unlike the other group, I believe there were 2 1st Round Picks, a 2nd round pick, and a 6th round pick. Hillard (12 years in the NFL), Doering (8 years), Anthony (5 years), and Green (5 years).

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Jackson was in the 2015 class. Muschamp recruited him as a TE and McElwain immediately said he was going to be a WR. He will be a RS Fr next season. People scouting him said he was a big possession receiver who was good at high pointing the job, which leads me to believe that he plays like his height.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Jackson was in the 2015 class. Muschamp recruited him as a TE and McElwain immediately said he was going to be a WR. He will be a RS Fr next season. People scouting him said he was a big possession receiver who was good at high pointing the job, which leads me to believe that he plays like his height.

https://floridagators.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6208&path=football

Kalif Jackson, Fletcher HS (Neptune Beach)
6'4 212lbs
Redshirt Freshman

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I know who he is…

By "exactly" I meant he was completely quiet as a freshman. I heard nothing. Which is not uncommon for a freshman. But with the dearth of talent and his size you think you would think he would have more opportunity.
He was redshirted...how much opportunity did you expect him to get? :dunno:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.