Was Rousey one of the most (if not the most) overrated fighters in history?

GatorRaz

Gator Fan in Enemy Territory!!!
Dec 12, 2014
Good post Raz, but Rousey practiced judo. She was a bronze medalist in the 2008 Olympics in judo. Dang, Fever beat me to the punch.
Yeah, judo is throwing to the ground. Didn't know she won a bronze. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is once you are on the ground. Learning to neutralize your opponent or escape a bad situation.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Yep her attitude in addition to the over the top media is responsible for a lot of people loving to see her big fall like this.
Her biggest problem as a fighter is her always trying to finish the fight too soon. She doesn't know how to press while still being defensive and she doesn't know how to use angles/footwork when she's exchanging in stand up. As good as judo and Jui Jitsu are as self defense, a well trained boxer/striker should win 80% of the time in a fight because of their understanding of spacing/footwork and how to use angles.....

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
I don't think it was that she was overrated, I think the division is just weak, she stopped fighting her game and started trying to box with girls she had no business boxing.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
Her biggest problem as a fighter is her always trying to finish the fight too soon. She doesn't know how to press while still being defensive and she doesn't know how to use angles/footwork when she's exchanging in stand up. As good as judo and Jui Jitsu are as self defense, a well trained boxer/striker should win 80% of the time in a fight because of their understanding of spacing/footwork and how to use angles.....
Great analysis! I would say it's also why she went 1/3 against solid strikers she did beat the sloppy brawler/striker in Bethe Correia.

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
One thing working in Ronda's favor is at least Travis Browne doesn't punch as hard as Nunes.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
IMG_1334.JPG I would rather watch the Gator offense in a skills competition or red zone contest than watch mma, especially women's mma.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I don't know if this was mentioned previously but WCW is interested in her. Script would generally be less dangerous.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I would pay good money to watch Fever fight Rousey, or any of the female MMA fighters really.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
lol the comments here remind me of when the press had her beating the world. There is a reason there are men and womens divisions and weight classes. Let her figure out how to beat 140 pound females that can actually fight before having her beating men.
So, you would fight a woman but chastise a cop for shooting one that was coming at him with a knife? I'm confused.

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
After Rousey got beat down again when she was actually forced to have to deal with some striking I am trying to think if a fighter male or female was ever as overrated and overhyped in the press as much as her. In her 14 fights she only had 2 wins over the same opponent where she didn't slip some average Jane into an armbar for the win in the 1st round of the fight and only has beaten one opponent (Tate) that had any fighting rep at all and most of these wins were in a womens division that was still really thin on depth most of her early career.

I guess people may be dogging her too much because the media overhyped her so much with all the talk that she could beat the men in MMA in her weight division and all that other nonsense but I am just trying to think of something equivalent to this outcome. Maybe all that Michelle Wie golf hype when she was a teenager trying to qualify for Men's tournaments and then she never even became one of the very top women golfers.
Mike Tyson? To see Ronda regress is amazing. 2 brutal defeats in a row. No coming back from that now. Rousey did alot for UFC but her nasty attitude and bitch face scowl won't be missed.

Fun N' Stun

Nov 15, 2014
Gina Carano is definitely better looking, never got the Rousey is beautiful crowd. Seems like when these fighters get a taste of Hollywood, they get soft as . The sport has definitely past her now, but she has made an impact and a bunch of money while doing it.
Ronda is ugly. She is built like a man and had a bloated bull dog face.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Mike Tyson? To see Ronda regress is amazing. 2 brutal defeats in a row. No coming back from that now. Rousey did alot for UFC but her nasty attitude and ***** face scowl won't be missed.

A lot different imo because Tyson actually beat a bunch of non tomato cans while Rousey never beat anyone with a pulse but Tate. She was smart not to fight Cyborg at a few pounds up catch weight because she would have been destroyed probably. I think now that it has been exposed how bad her standup really is you could take the top 5 even in the thin womens division and she would probably lose 4 out of 5 times. At least those big names like Tyson actually did a lot before their fall. I cant think of anything similar as far as the media/ESPN hype for hardly anything except maybe that Michelle Wie stuff when she was a teenager.

Fun N' Stun

Nov 15, 2014
Dying?

The same sport that was squires for $2M in 2001 and sold this year for $4B is considered dying?
Yes. It did rise significantly since 2001 but TV ratings have been declining for a few years now.

It's a barbaric "sport".

I'm so glad rousey lost. She is arrogant and I don't see why everyone thinks she is attractive. She looks like a muscular man with a bloated body/bull dog face.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yes. It did rise significantly since 2001 but TV ratings have been declining for a few years now.

It's a barbaric "sport".

I'm so glad rousey lost. She is arrogant and I don't see why everyone thinks she is attractive. She looks like a muscular man with a bloated body/bull dog face.

The media loves telling us any female athlete that isn't really ugly looking when made up is a model basically. They do the same with Serena Williams and Danica Patrick. Patrick might be cute but with how the media talks you would think she was runway model material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.