Was the Kentucky beating actually good for this team?

Was the UK beating good for this team?

• Yes

Votes: 22 73.3%
  • No

Votes: 8 26.7%

• Total voters

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Just finished the KY- A&M game and I am not a Dumbo fan, but I have to hand it to A&M for the way they defended all aspects of the KY run game. They really handled Snell and held up great against Ky's O-line. But more impressive was the way they contained the UK QB. They either saw from film or knew on their own that he can't throw well and they mushed rushed him mostly or at times tried to push the pocket with 2 guys and the other 2 were almost following him horizontally.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
No? What about the Ole Miss loss in 2008?

Beat me to it. Not that I’m expecting to reach the playoffs this year, but if it gives the players the same “a-ha” moment to understand what relentless effort and dedication mean, then I say YES.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
It helped both programs, however, if we have a healthy Resse that game we would have won.

Far from a Fisher fan, but nice for someone to force a dose of STFU to Snell and humble him.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
I believe it was good for them. They learned early they had to buy in and play all out all the time. Sucks it had to be UK. The oline has shown up more at times as well. Need them all the time though

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I don't know that we're going to put anyone away early. The offense is still a work in progress.
If you follow tendencies we have one good drive a quarter......which is why I told Ox to quit crying after he threw in the towel at the beginning of the 4th quarter..we hadn't had our one good drive...Funny thing is with Butters we averaged one good drive a half so if Mullen has accomplished anything he's doubled Butters(minus Grier era) offensive output.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I've been thinking about this lately. Let's say our Gators had pulled out that game against Kentucky. Would they have been playing the same kind of inspired football since? It's hard to say. Perhaps the embarrassment of that loss (and more importantly how badly they played) is what gave the players and the coaching staff the proper fuel to work harder and get into a better mindset. Any thoughts?

Discuss.
IMO losing to Kintucky brought lots of backlash. I'm sure even the kids know they are much better than Kintucky. I think it lit a fire that losing even twice to Cowbell on the road or Corndogs at home would NOT have.

I like where we are.

Last edited:

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, I noticed that too. They were in a position to tackle most of the time and missed them all. As far as still having those lapses of D, I think we are still short at least 1 big DL and 1 big LB. Maybe well fill the needs this recruiting cycle.
To consistently hang with the big Dogs, need a couple more DL and better OL.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Watch this video of the team post-game locker room w/ Timmy. This is a bunch of happy Gators, having fun. The Gators have not had fun for almost a decade. This is good to see. I think the UK loss was very, very good for this team. They thought they were "back" after beating a 1AA team in week 1 and got severely humbled (by a good, not great team - that they should have beaten).

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
I want to say yes, but I think Vandy will be a better indicator. The last three games have demanded the team's attention like they would any year. If they don't screw around and put Vandy away early, then I can say without hesitation that we benefited from it

Fink, I like the idea, but since I've given Carbozo crap for over a year about saying we should judge our offense by how they perform against Vandy last September, I have to be consistent and say we shouldn't judge our team by anything having to do with Vandy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.