We Got Rolled (as most expected); Bright spot? Beat the spread

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, the outcome was what most of us feared. Sadly, we are reduced to rejoicing at covering the spread (if any had the guts to take us and the points and they remained at 17!). One more game remaining and I can only hope we have a semblance of an offense. Got a few weeks so who knows what the offensive staff and any psychologists or sorcerers they might enlist can get accomplished prior to our bowl match up? Anyhow, here are a few observations:

*Thought the front seven were pretty good tonight. Davis and Morrison played well and Matt Rolin got in on some plays, so the LBs were a good presence. Morrison met #2 and stood him up on a few occasions and Davis flew to the ball all night. Davis' roughing penalty hurt. Ironically, that probably wouldn't have been called a few years back. The secondary IMO didn't have their best night. Maye was involved in two back breakers with a chance to make a play but couldn't get it done, resulting in a first and goal and a TD. Hargreaves made some good plays, but wasn't as consistent in coverage as we have come to expect. He missed the chance to make break ups on both of the aforementioned Maye plays. Unfortunately Brian Poole cemented his legacy on Bama's last TD when he was beaten to the inside by the receiver. Tries hard but gives up more than he gets.

*Damned Special Teams. They cost us a chance of winning by not returning those three other kicks/punts we needed to win! Seriously, Callaway's return was beautiful. The blocked punt was embarrassing. The last guy on the right side allowed the B Gap rusher to release freely while trying to block the guy on his outside pad. Got to be a player screw up, as those guys' rule are usually inside to out. To make matters worse, the right side guy in the protection group let him run free to the punter. There was also a guy inside of him that got through. And did anyone not expect Hardin's FG attempt to get blocked? The graphic they showed of his FG % being the worst in CFB told it all. He did, however, have one of his best kicks of the year with the onside, which I thought we should have recovered. Hooray for the Dentist for his made PAT!

*OL...not surprised that we didn't run the ball against their front, though I was hoping they might have risen to the challenge of playing such a talented group of future pros. Pass Pro was so so. At times they had a pocket, but that wound up not mattering much. This group has a lot to improve on and I hope they get it done.

*Allowing Robinson to play didn't exactly pay dividends. He did successfully embarrass himself (and Gators everywhere) with his titty fight in the second half. I've seen better fights at the Legion Home dances between two drunk 70-something women. What a waste of what looked to be a good career in the making the previous two seasons.

*This is for you, Durty...Gloves are off for Treon. Just when you thought it couldn't get worse, it did. Some might argue that he did have the long TD pass (that was more CJ Whorton than him), a good scramble late as well as a 2 pt conversion, but the rest was garbage. 0/10 (unless I missed one late) on third down conversions to go along with a less than 50% completion percentage and absolutely no awareness in the pocket essentially sealed our fate. A few games back I was impressed that he was staying with the pocket, but sadly that positive has become a big negative as the season moved to the end and he sat and allowed it to close on him. Another trend continued with receivers open consistently but Treon not having the vision to find them. Many of the throws he did make were off target. He missed Callaway on a slant, throwing late and behind him, again on a cross when he waited until he had run all the way across the field and then threw over his head up the sideline. He threw an easy one just beyond Goolsby's reach that would have kept a drive alive. Ball was off the TE's finger tips and maybe he should have caught it, but it was an easy throw that should have been on the money. Other than the scramble late, his legs were not a weapon...again. I have tried to think who I have seen in the 40 some odd years I've been watching Gator football that has been worse at the position and I'm having a hard time remembering one that is worse. Hell, Morningwheg was a better passer. At one point I remarked to c2 Jr. that "if only we still had Driskel!" Sad, isn't it? Truthfully, I'd have been glad to see Larry Libertore suited up and under center (if he's still kicking). The kid just doesn't have it and I don't believe ever will. Praying for one or both of the EE recruits.

10-3 regular season was better than most hoped, but the concluding games were a wet blanket on our should be elation. "Wait 'till next year" once more comes ringing back. Here's hoping for a good bowl matchup and outcome, a strong recruiting effort that fills many needs, and a lot of growth in the off season. We'll need all of these things. Go Gators!

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nicely done, as usual. Thanks.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Us old timers can get a little bitter.....

Good read.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It's funny cover says treon may be the worst ever. I ran into a guy I know today, his exact words were" in 50 years of watching gator football i don't think I've seen a qb this bad". I can't tell you how many times I've heard that. Everyone is wondering why they haven't put the walk on in.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's funny cover says treon may be the worst ever. I ran into a guy I know today, his exact words were" in 50 years of watching gator football i don't think I've seen a qb this bad". I can't tell you how many times I've heard that. Everyone is wondering why they haven't put the walk on in.
Hell, I'd settle for the Wildcat at this point or at the very least about a dozen halfback passes.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Worse than Treon? If you can remember back to that terrible 1979 year, Larry Ochab?

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Worse than Treon? If you can remember back to that terrible 1979 year, Larry Ochab?
Dr. O? Who could forget him or that year, which was my first in college? One thing about it, as much as he struggled, he didn't have near the supporting cast that Treon has. I'd be willing to bet O could find the open receivers a little better.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I thought it funny that Danielson basically echoed what folks here were saying......he should just start chucking it deep and hope for a few big plays.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
:dance:

Good analysis cover, it is what it is. Our quarterback play is an abomination right now. Good news is we only have 4 more quarters of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
I've been watching games since the Pell era and can honestly say he is the worst I have seen play for us. Even with our troubles at OL, with a moderate QB talent in the game we take it to the wire. With a good QB we win this game.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I know for a fact he's the worst QB we've ever had, and honestly I'm racking my brain to come up with a worse QB anywhere in college football. :dunno:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Donald Douglas?
I have wracked my brain as well for the last couple of months to try to comme up with someone worse. I thought of Douglas but he didnt play as many games as Tree-on, Tyrone seemed about as lost but at least he could see over the line. Tree-on has to get the trophy.

TheBoroGator

Newbiebutoldie
Sep 23, 2015
Top 5 worst uf qbs in my 26 years of watching
5. Donald Douglas
4. Kyle Morris
3. Jeff Driskel
2. John Brantley Jr
1. Peon Harris

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Dr. O? Who could forget him or that year, which was my first in college? One thing about it, as much as he struggled, he didn't have near the supporting cast that Treon has. I'd be willing to bet O could find the open receivers a little better.

I thought the same thing. Ochab did not have anything around him to produce an offensive production. The lack of productivity may be similar but perhaps from opposite reasons.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Top 5 worst uf qbs in my 26 years of watching
5. Donald Douglas
4. Kyle Morris
3. Jeff Driskel
2. John Brantley Jr
1. Peon Harris

Kyle Morris definitely. It would have been neat to see how ones like Brantley and Driskel would have done under Mac and Nuss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator