We Got Rolled (as most expected); Bright spot? Beat the spread

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Let's do something different? Ok what? I haven't heard anything viable yet. Treon does nothing well except not turn the ball over (a lot). So what can we do different on offense?

For all intents and purposes we don't have a backup QB. Jacob Guy is a walk-on, He played on the scout team last year, I'm guessing that there is a reason he is not getting a shot. Maybe he's as dumb as a box a rocks or slow as molasses. I don't know, but the coaching staff knows. Grady played 4 years at Vandy and produced 27 yards and 2 interceptions. Vandy demoted him to WR. As hard as it is to accept both these guys are probably way more inept than Treon (hard to believe I know).

Before you cast stones at the coaching staff suggest a workable solution because I don't think there is one when your QB can't execute.
I'm thinking Wishbone. Put the heaviest non-contributor in at FB and tell him just to run straight ahead. Let KT or JC find a hole or bounce outside.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Let's do something different? Ok what? I haven't heard anything viable yet. Treon does nothing well except not turn the ball over (a lot). So what can we do different on offense?

For all intents and purposes we don't have a backup QB. Jacob Guy is a walk-on, He played on the scout team last year, I'm guessing that there is a reason he is not getting a shot. Maybe he's as dumb as a box a rocks or slow as molasses. I don't know, but the coaching staff knows. Grady played 4 years at Vandy and produced 27 yards and 2 interceptions. Vandy demoted him to WR. As hard as it is to accept both these guys are probably way more inept than Treon (hard to believe I know).

Before you cast stones at the coaching staff suggest a workable solution because I don't think there is one when your QB can't execute.
I'm thinking Wishbone. Put the heaviest non-contributor in at FB and tell him just to run straight ahead. Let KT or JC find a hole or bounce outside.

I've been thinking to myself for a while now, "I wonder if we wouldn't be better off replacing DRob with a Fullback?". He's nothing more than a decoy out there. At least a Fullback could help the Oline block for our RBs.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I've been thinking to myself for a while now, "I wonder if we wouldn't be better off replacing DRob with a Fullback?". He's nothing more than a decoy out there. At least a Fullback could help the Oline block for our RBs.

Well we have a quorum then. Bring in a fullback!

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Did anyone watch Baylor yesterday? They had a freshman RB run the wildcat after their starter got knocked out. Seems like they switched up mid game. The coaches have to do a better job. We're running muschamp defense for God's sakes.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Did anyone watch Baylor yesterday? They had a freshman RB run the wildcat after their starter got knocked out. Seems like they switched up mid game. The coaches have to do a better job. We're running muschamp defense for God's sakes.
Baylor's O line has 4 seniors and 1 Jr. All 5 started last year. We'd be able to run a lot better behind that line.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

That would be Cox Jr at FB. He's already done it several times this year. We only need to do this for the bowl game. Next yr a true freshman will start at QB for the Gators. Don't say it can't be done. Leak did it.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014

Regarding casting stones at the coaches, they get pad millions, it's their job to innovate, it's my job as an "irate fan" to throw stones. And there have been plenty of suggestions on this forum on what to do; playing the backups, running Treon, using a fullback, etc.

And during the game I also wondered if a fullback would have helped Taylor as well.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I have been advocating for a 2 back set for a while. Only saw it like twice. Dont see that it would hurt to try...

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
Thank God we can be this loss fanatic after UF still won the SEC (l)East after a year when they were expected to be 5th in their division. Mac did a miracle job with what he had. A couple of more great recruiting years and UF will be a perennial contender with him at the helm.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good news is we only have 4 more quarters of it.

I'll see your 4 quarters and raise you 24 more if we don't sign a strong graduate transfer QB - the Jake McGee of QBs/this year's Russell Wilson.

I'm as pumped as anyone about Franks and Eason potentially coming and being EEs - but true freshman QBs in the SEC likely will struggle.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
My smitten relationship with the Gators begins with Wayne Peace... in that, I'm saddened that Treon carries the torch now for overall debacle and blur, mostly because this team does have some weapons lost in the fog that is his processing. Outstanding job for the team though, 10 wins after the neutering effect of the sideline tyrant for four years... recruit, reload and develop, think we have the coach wanting to get it done. Go Gators!!

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Regarding casting stones at the coaches, they get pad millions, it's their job to innovate, it's my job as an "irate fan" to throw stones. And there have been plenty of suggestions on this forum on what to do; playing the backups, running Treon, using a fullback, etc.

And during the game I also wondered if a fullback would have helped Taylor as well.

Well casting stones is what the board is for. But see the situation with some rationality. We have three freshman on the line and it shows. The fan in me says try anything but realist in me says there is probable little that we are capable of.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Putting the backup in probably would have accomplished the same thing: embarrassing offense. However, what it would have achieved was showing the fans that at least you were willing to try SOMETHING to actually win the game.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I like the fact we play what we practice, game plan. Win or infrequently lose, I like we'll have an identity- attack mindset on O and rush on D. It wasn't too long ago we were schizophrenic or a bad keystone cops. Eventually, "what we do" when we show up with the right personnel is kick your arse!
Go Mac, Go Gators!!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We have three freshman on the line and it shows. The fan in me says try anything but realist in me says there is probable little that we are capable of.
All quite true BUT these three weeks of practice is really a time of growth especially for kids learning a new system and most especially for freshmen or sophs who are coming off their first actual playing time.

We also have the advantage of knowing, now, a lot more about who we dont want on the field (Riles and Dillard) and who we do. Remember that some of the guys playing late in the year did NOT get spring ball or even fall practice to learn their job. I mean Martez Ivey (moved tackle to guard) and Tyler Jordan (center to guard).

Throw in some down to to heal up all those battle wounds and we have a decent shot at having a much less self-destructive OL.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'll see your 4 quarters and raise you 24 more if we don't sign a strong graduate transfer QB - the Jake McGee of QBs/this year's Russell Wilson.

I'm as pumped as anyone about Franks and Eason potentially coming and being EEs - but true freshman QBs in the SEC likely will struggle.
Luke Del Rio... Harris won't be playing anymore. It's not speculation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I know everyone here hates Brantley, but if he had played for SOS or Mac, he'd been drafted (not high). His confidence was shot, just like Treon. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised to see Treon transfer to USCe and play much better because of Roper's style of offense. I think he played with a lot of effort, but it's just not a fit. I will always be thankful for him making it 10 in a row on Tennessee

RobertPooner

BANNED
Sep 4, 2015
Florida didn't cover the spread, they beat the spread. Only the favored team can cover. Just a pet peeve of mine, carry on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.