We Talkin Bout The State of the Program!

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
So Drikel and Treon were better than Treon and LDR? Coaching doesn't factor into the equation?
You said there was only one valid answer so I went with QB. Don't know what Driskel has to do with the conversation since he's pre Mac. So you're saying that Treon and LDR were good QB's only held back by coaching?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
You said there was only one valid answer so I went with QB. Don't know what Driskel has to do with the conversation since he's pre Mac. So you're saying that Treon and LDR were good QB's only held back by coaching?
I'm saying some of you refuse to place the blame for the horrible offense where it should be. On the guy hired to fix it..3 years ago.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
When I hear 2222 pumping Butters' offense, I think of George W saying, "You're doing a great job, Brownie!" during Katrina.

Totally divorced from reality.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I'm saying some of you refuse to place the blame for the horrible offense where it should be. On the guy hired to fix it..3 years ago.
That's not what you said. You implied Treon and LDR sucked because of coaching. Now you're saying something different. I'm saying we've had an absolute cluster fcvk at the QB position for two years. LDR played 2.75 games healthy. Then AA came in. Then LDR came back (injured). Then AA came back. All the while still trying to establish a starting 5 on the offensive line. Are you not refusing to acknowledge it's pretty hard to have a functional offense under those conditions?
Next year we will know. The oline will be better - maybe much better based on what we're hearing about Davis. One of the Fraski will be ready. Or not. If not, that's on Mac. If they are good then we better see much better offensive production or again it's on Mac.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I see the narrative is still the same. Those that have given up completely on this team and coaching staff and seemingly compete to come up with the worst insults to said team and staff Then we have those that continue to support this team and staff and post here to some of the same denigration given to the team and staff.
If the QB play is better this year we are better, How much is like picking the lotto #s. whothefck knows.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
That's not what you said. You implied Treon and LDR sucked because of coaching. Now you're saying something different. I'm saying we've had an absolute cluster fcvk at the QB position for two years. LDR played 2.75 games healthy. Then AA came in. Then LDR came back (injured). Then AA came back. All the while still trying to establish a starting 5 on the offensive line. Are you not refusing to acknowledge it's pretty hard to have a functional offense under those conditions?
Next year we will know. The oline will be better - maybe much better based on what we're hearing about Davis. One of the Fraski will be ready. Or not. If not, that's on Mac. If they are good then we better see much better offensive production or again it's on Mac.
We said the same thing after last season. When will it end?

ExecutiveGator

Paragraphs are great tools. Use them.
Lifetime Member
Dec 5, 2014
Not going to reply to any specific argument made in the past 60 or so posts, but I will say this:

I hope Mac is the answer, but I doubt it.

If the offense doesn't average 38 a game this year, he needs to go. There are no more excuses in year 3. I don't ever want to see the O&B lose a game, but if we do, we better go down throwing hay makers to the very last second because we need the extra 6 to get over 40. If we play some conservative garbage all year with a thin defense (due to Mac and Co), he needs to go.

As far as recruiting goes, I believe you can win a Natty without having top 5 classes each year. BUT, you better have a freaking Heisman player at quarterback guiding your team (think Tebow, Newton, Young, etc). AND, you better be consistently Top 10-15 (which we haven't been) AND be solid on the lines (which we just aren't).

I was an average Pumper. After the consistent $hit shows against our top rivals, I'm borderline full blown Dumper.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
We said the same thing after last season. When will it end?
Next season. I don't know what other people said. I only know what I thought. I expected LDR to be healthy. I did not know that he had a weak arm which is important because Mac wants to be able to push the ball down field. In any case, our choices were limited. Year three Mac has two QBs and no excuses. If one of those two aren't developed then the blame lies firmly on Mac. I think one of them will be ready though. If everybody does their jobs we'll see a pretty exciting offense (any offense will be exciting). I'm not one who thinks that Mac wants Alabama's offense.
Assuming the QB position is settled then we will get answers to deeper questions. Will red zone offense improve? Will TE's and RB's know how to pass block? Will WR's run routes correctly? Will WR's fight for 50/50 balls?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This season we find out what kind of coach Mac is...fair enough for everyone?

I agree his seat will be uncomfortably hot if things don't look pretty good this year. It's time to get one of the QBs he recruited ready and show us those QB whispering skills we keep hearing about. It'll be hot before 2017 is done if LDR starts at any point in the season, because that'll mean HIS QBs he recruited couldn't get it done and we already know LDR can't get it done.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
I'm predicting that if the QB play this year Is not improved the partyline will be that,assuming its franks/trask, that they were just too green and need to be upperclassmen before we can have any reasonable expectations of them.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I'm predicting that if the QB play this year Is not improved the partyline will be that,assuming its franks/trask, that they were just too green and need to be upperclassmen before we can have any reasonable expectations of them.

I have seen that already posted on TOS. I do not think that spring game will tell us much at all. LDR was 11/11 last year, right? Fools gold. You're hearing the whispers that 2018 is THE year.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There are a few posters on this board that insist you can't win championships without top ranked recruiting classes. To them the quality of the players is the single most important factor.

Muschamp may have had highly ranked classes, but he did it with complete disregard to the offensive side of the ball. He left Mac with 6 OL (that couldn't beat out incoming true freshmen), underachieving WR's that had spent two years without a position coach and 2 QBs one of which would disqualify himself and the other was physically incapable of playing the position. In addition, Mac inherited one serviceable RB who would leave a year later.

On top of that, Muschamp left a legacy of utter and complete offensive ineptitude. He went 4-8 while losing at home to a lower division team that never completed a pass. There were videos of our players blocking each other. Muschamp started a dumpster fire and broadcast it nation wide. Florida became a laughingstock in the college football world. No offensive players wanted to go to a program quickly gaining fame as the place where QBs go to die.

Muschamp has improved recruiting each and every year. There is no denying the upward trajectory in our recruiting. However, even though we are now back in the top 10, we still are not quite fully back to the top yet.

No one can deny that Muschamp left the offense in complete ruins. Yet the same people that acknowledge that you can't beat the FSU's and Alabama's without top players are upset that Mac hasn't beat the FSU's and Alabama's without top players on offense.

Which one is it? Is Mac underachieving because he hasn't beat FSU and Alabama despite the huge gap in talent or is it impossible to beat FSU and Alabama with a huge gap in talent? You can't have it both ways.
I consider Mac's embarrassing losses to UT and Ark as evidence that he is underachieving. Not to mention the fact that he lost more regular season games in year 2 while somehow having a worse offense from the previous 5 years. Your supposed to show improvement from year 1 to 2. For Mac it was worse.

Like I said earlier, for every good thing Mac has accomplished, there is also something bad. That's why this board is so divided. Some only see the good and others only see the bad.

I was very impressed with Mac after year one, but he wasn't able to build on that success in year 2. Now we are at year 3 with the same problems at QB, improved talent at other offensive positions, but with a significantly weaker defense. 8-4 now looks like the likely outcome for the season. I really want Mac to succeed as does everyone else here, but he hasn't done enough to give me and several others the confidence that he can get the job done.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I consider Mac's embarrassing losses to UT and Ark as evidence that he is underachieving. Not to mention the fact that he lost more regular season games in year 2 while somehow having a worse offense from the previous 5 years. Your supposed to show improvement from year 1 to 2. For Mac it was worse.

Like I said earlier, for every good thing Mac has accomplished, there is also something bad. That's why this board is so divided. Some only see the good and others only see the bad.

I was very impressed with Mac after year one, but he wasn't able to build on that success in year 2. Now we are at year 3 with the same problems at QB, improved talent at other offensive positions, but with a significantly weaker defense. 8-4 now looks like the likely outcome for the season. I really want Mac to succeed as does everyone else here, but he hasn't done enough to give me and several others the confidence that he can get the job done.

I think this is a fair analysis. I also believe that the divide causes both sides to over-inflate anything good or bad and it derails from there. I'm sure I am guilty of this. The bad things from spring prac will be overblown while the good things will be also overblown. I think that's how a lot of the discourse starts.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Since it was brought up I don't hold Mac/nuss totally responsible for UT. We did'nt come out playing safe in the 3rd like some suggested. We threw on every series AA(his first start) couldn't complete a pass got sacked twice. Blame it on the OLine. Plus the secondary went to sleep in that half. Arky game is on the staff - ****ty game plan and we got outcoached. FSUcks - ****ty QB, depleted defense blah blah blah. Alabama we ain't there yet but they can be beat if you have a gunslinging QB.
Beat halFasSU, At least have a chance to win in Atlanta, have a much more productive offense. I think we are still some depth and marquee players away from the playoffs though. We need to be hot and heavy on recruiting now and beat FSUcks to lock in the next recruiting class. Get an offense going and get some excitement back to the program. Opening the season with a win against Michigan would certainly help.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If you're going to argue a point, I think it's important to use accurate info and not make sh*t up that isn't true.

Yes, I understand (and think I acknowledged) that and agree. Still...

If we would have played Presbyterian last year, what would you estimate were our chances of winning?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, I understand (and think I acknowledged) that and agree. Still...

If we would have played Presbyterian last year, what would you estimate were our chances of winning?
About the same as they would be for any HS opponent. 99.99%

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

2.25 years ago. Don't be making stuff up. 2 seasons, 3 recruiting classes, 2.25 years.

On December 4, 2014, ESPN reported that McElwain had agreed to become head coach of the University of Florida.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Way to ignore what I actually said. The QB position is the single most important position in all of sports. It's hard to succeed without talent at that position. Muschamp left us with PED, Treon and the legacy of the place where QBs come to die.
And yet.... Muschamp took an 18 year old high school kid and put up a better offense in his first year (at South Carolina) than Mac.

3 years and 6 QB's later and we still don't know what we have with Mac.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
We only have TWO seasons in the books and we DO have a reputation of ruining players and being ROTTEN on offense. I hope Mac can fix it, we'll see. Maybe improved QB play with what we have will encourage the 5 star we are all looking for to give us a shot

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.