Wednesday Worsts….Thanksgiving Fails

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Somebody turned the oven off.

I kid you not. We put the turkey into a hot oven, then somebody turned it off with the bird inside. Didn't figure it out until guests had started to arrive (about 15 minutes before the bird was supposed to be done and maybe 45 minutes before the anticipated service time.

Upon realizing the magnitude of the disaster, I pulled it out, turned the heat way up, did a quick spatchcock, and threw it back in. I figured it wouldn't be ready for hours. Apparently, the oven kept its heat for a while, so the bird was partially cooked. It didn't take long to get it fully cooked and it ended up pretty good.

Alex.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Somebody turned the over off.

I kid you not. We put the turkey into a hot oven, then somebody turned it off with the bird inside. Didn't figure it out until guests had started to arrive (about 15 minutes before the bird was supposed to be done and maybe 45 minutes before the anticipated service time.

Upon realizing the magnitude of the disaster, I pulled it out, turned the heat way up, did a quick spatchcock, and threw it back in. I figured it wouldn't be ready for hours. Apparently, the oven kept its heat for a while, so the bird was partially cooked. It didn't take long to get it fully cooked and it ended up pretty good.

Alex.

Thanks, and great story. But there’ll be a close call thread some other day. This one’s about failures and marshmallow disasters. Maybe you could remove the post.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I assume that was prior to social media and, therefore, must ask WHY?!?!
The man that she was dating at the time mentioned he liked it. Therefore we all had to suffer.
I’ll never forget his words to her, “Mrs. CD, you did yourself proud!”
I carved out a center section. Awful.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The man that she was dating at the time mentioned he liked it. Therefore we all had to suffer.
I’ll never forget his words to her, “Mrs. CD, you did yourself proud!”
I carved out a center section. Awful.
Just one more question…smooth or crunchy?

1669243732232.jpeg

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
316132982_5943400642336640_649463709786011773_n.jpg

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I’ve got a home full of Dominicans and Italians(southern) for the next 4 days, so I may be revisiting this thread at some point.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Was at relatives a few years back. She was testing out new smoker. Apparently that charcoal lighter takes a long time to burn off…… we made burgers

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I made a trash can turkey's year. It cooked in just a little over an hour.

One of the most tender Turkeys I've ever tasted.

Note to self: coals need to be white before surrounding the outside of the garbage can. Putting them around and then lighting them?

Charcoal fluid Turkey.

It's a shame. It was a perfect Golden brown and super moist.

I haven't tried it again.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks, and great story. But there’ll be a close call thread some other day. This one’s about failures and marshmallow disasters. Maybe you could remove the post.

You fcuking jinxed me.

Decided to deep fry this year (2 birds). Hadn't fried a bird in a loooong time so test drove the kit a few days before T-Day to ensure everything was working properly. Lit up just fine, no problems, even had a full tank of propane ready.

Come T-Day I fired up the burner and smelled gas, a lot if it. It was leaking out of the regulator that must have gone bad. Needed a regulator and hose to connect the propane tank to the turkey fryer burner. Of course, EVERYTHING was closed. No Lowe's, no Tru Value, no Wal Mart, nuthin. Not only am I unable to get parts to fix it, I can't get a last-minute replacement for the main course.

I figure I can cannibalize the regulator and hose from my gas grill and use it on the turkey fryer. The connections to the burner aren't the same size. The one from the gas grill is larger than the one to the fryer burner. Why? WHY! Look at the picture below. See the little adapter? The regulator that went bad had the smaller connector, not an adapter. I could use my gas grill's regulator and hose if I could find an adapter like that. I desperately comb through my garage looking for anything I can use. I'm looking at brass garden hose fittings, plumbing supplies, bike pumps, I even thought about splicing the hoses and sealing them with electrical tape.

Just as I'm about to do something foolish (and dangerous), a neighbor saves the day. He fries a bird every year but this year he's smoking so his fryer kit isn't being used. I am able to borrow it.

So another close call violation? Nah. This counts as a disaster. Why? After all, I was able to borrow what I needed and was able to cook the turkeys, right? Well, we told the fam to be there as early as they wanted, but Thanksgiving dinner was going to be served at 2:00 (yes, that's when we eat Thanksgiving "dinner", don't @ me). Most skipped breakfast, all skipped lunch. Everybody arrived no later than 1:00 (a Thanksgiving miracle for my chronically late family) and everybody was RAVENOUS by 2:00. Dinner wasn't served till 5:00. It got ugly. Very, very ugly.

61EIg-TR-xL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Alex.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
You fcuking jinxed me.

Decided to deep fry this year (2 birds). Hadn't fried a bird in a loooong time so test drove the kit a few days before T-Day to ensure everything was working properly. Lit up just fine, no problems, even had a full tank of propane ready.

Come T-Day I fired up the burner and smelled gas, a lot if it. It was leaking out of the regulator that must have gone bad. Needed a regulator and hose to connect the propane tank to the turkey fryer burner. Of course, EVERYTHING was closed. No Lowe's, no Tru Value, no Wal Mart, nuthin. Not only am I unable to get parts to fix it, I can't get a last-minute replacement for the main course.

I figure I can cannibalize the regulator and hose from my gas grill and use it on the turkey fryer. The connections to the burner aren't the same size. The one from the gas grill is larger than the one to the fryer burner. Why? WHY! Look at the picture below. See the little adapter? The regulator that went bad had the smaller connector, not an adapter. I could use my gas grill's regulator and hose if I could find an adapter like that. I desperately comb through my garage looking for anything I can use. I'm looking at brass garden hose fittings, plumbing supplies, bike pumps, I even thought about splicing the hoses and sealing them with electrical tape.

Just as I'm about to do something foolish (and dangerous), a neighbor saves the day. He fries a bird every year but this year he's smoking so his fryer kit isn't being used. I am able to borrow it.

So another close call violation? Nah. This counts as a disaster. Why? After all, I was able to borrow what I needed and was able to cook the turkeys, right? Well, we told the fam to be there as early as they wanted, but Thanksgiving dinner was going to be served at 2:00 (yes, that's when we eat Thanksgiving "dinner", don't @ me). Most skipped breakfast, all skipped lunch. Everybody arrived no later than 1:00 (a Thanksgiving miracle for my chronically late family) and everybody was RAVENOUS by 2:00. Dinner wasn't served till 5:00. It got ugly. Very, very ugly.

61EIg-TR-xL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Alex.
My recommendation for the starving guests would have alcohol and lots of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator